Amazing offer???

peterlemer

Can anyone tell me:

the incredible advantage of using the 'FREE Gluco RX Nexus worth £18.95 - free lancets - free delivery', for £29.91 a quarter, over my current Accuchek Aviva with free lancets every quarter from my local pharmacy under the NHS?

why Diabetes UK are promoting this offer?

pete

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Can anyone tell me:

the incredible advantage of using the 'FREE Gluco RX Nexus worth £18.95 - free lancets - free delivery', for £29.91 a quarter, over my current Accuchek Aviva with free lancets every quarter from my local pharmacy under the NHS?

why Diabetes UK are promoting this offer?

pete
Unfortunately, not everyone has the opportunity to get free blood glucose testing equipment on the NHS. Many people are forced into a corner and have to buy their own.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me. I was told as a type 2 testing not necessary so no prescriptions for strips. Logic tells me that if I want to be in control of this illness and not the other way round, that I need to test so what I'm saving in not buying skinny decaff lattes and jacket spuds for lunch is going on boxes of test strips.

Reactions: 8 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
please give examples of people who cannot get free BG meter and strips on NHS?

pete
Quite a large proportion of T2 diabetics who are not on insulin. I don't have numbers but there are many forum members who have to self fund their own BG testing equipment.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dont get strips not for the want of trying I have told GP that I will definately test aNd pleaded poverty , old age and many other things but no good I am ONLY Type 2 and dont need to test
CAROL

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I never even asked my GP as he didn't mention testing at all. From what I read on this forum, I thought I'd most likely be denied, so I've been buying my own. I guess I should ask, huh?! Never hurts to ask.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I cannot get them from the doc either .. Told only type two .. Don't test .. So have to buy my own

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I never even asked my GP as he didn't mention testing at all. From what I read on this forum, I thought I'd most likely be denied, so I've been buying my own. I guess I should ask, huh?! Never hurts to ask.
Never hurts to ask. Although a lot are deprived of test strips, there are some that have been prescribed them. Explain to your doc exactly why you want them, to test which foods you tolerate and which to avoid and to help prevent any possible long term complications.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

peterlemer

semiphonic, enclave: thanks for your replies. I thought all the lobbying last year had worked. It appears not. :-(

Where are we with T1 restrictions, T2 restrictions?

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
semiphonic, enclave: thanks for your replies. I thought all the lobbying last year had worked. It appears not. :-(

Where are we with T1 restrictions, T2 restrictions?

I suspect it's down to funding. As a diet controlled T2 I don't get strips on prescription even though I've asked a couple of times and pointed out that how am I supposed keep control when I'm not supposed to test. I was recently told an HbA1c test was all that a T2 needed to keep good control. However, I also only get an HbA1c test once per year, and was told this was due to the cost of the tests.

peterlemer

julifriend: that's appalling! I had no idea some NHS practices were playing such a dangerous game.
A bit of surfing shows that Cochrane has come out in support of strips.
Again, more surfing shows me how hard some of you are lobbying.
What's the state of play re current advocacy campaigns for universal access to test strips?

Reactions: 2 people

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What's the state of play re current advocacy campaigns for universal access to test strips?

You tell me. Like all public services, the NHS is being subjected to cuts 'for the good of the economy as a whole' which to me means that the chances of prescribing test strips for all T2s are about as low now as they've ever been.

Sorry to seem overly pessimistic, but I think there's no use us trying to kid ourselves that it's otherwise

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!

pete
Me. Personally have sd codefree as strips £7 for 50. Much cheaper!

Reactions: 4 people

peterlemer

£7 for 50 tells me that someone is ripping off the NHS. My pharmacy pays ITRO £15 for 50 accucheck ( also 'code free')

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
£7 for 50 tells me that someone is ripping off the NHS. My pharmacy pays ITRO £15 for 50 accucheck ( also 'code free')
"Codefree" relates to the meter branded "SD Codefree", made in Korea.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
"Codefree" relates to the meter branded "SD Codefree", made in Korea.
Sorry but I need to disagree with this one I get strips for my meter and they are code free which are the sanofi strips. Where as my 1st meter was an Accu-check nano and that had a chip that came with every box of strips and that had a code on it and they were classed as coded.

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!

pete

I'm T2 and can't get meter or strips from my doctor. I was told that the 3 monthly testing was enough. I believe that the other doctor practice in Orkney do give meters, so might try to change practice.