Feeling Sad About My Diabetes

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Never think less of urself cos of need to inject... I did... 28 years on And I found out what had hindered my thoughts about myself... And why I felt that I only deserved2nd place in a queue..

Well, actually... I am a **** lovely, caring and loving, gorgeous female... That genuinely tries her best to get on with her life.. And not play 2nd fiddle to diabetes....it lives with me...but is NOT my life. I have got involved with Patient Participation Group, diabetes forums and research because I want a better future for others... But I still out party, out dance and out live with fun others that aren't diabetic..... And so can you and any other diabetic reading this...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try to focus on the positive, that's what I tell my son. You were lucky that you were diagnosed and that it was not left un treated otherwise we might not be having this conversation. Also I email the man direct in America who is developing the insulin patch only one more trial before FDA approval all the tests so far have been amazing and they are nearly there now the insulin goes in quicker than any needle, and obviously as it's a patch non invasive. If you want to take a look about it type in U Strip. Things will get better with technology changing but in the meantime everyone has to look after themselves, and hope the change is coming soon. Also read up about what NASA and dr Wang have done in the states. It gives us hope for the future. That's what I tell my son, we have to do this and look after you until something better or easier comes along. Hope this gives you some hope, keep happy and healthy.
thankyou so much, it means a lot that you've taken the time to reply at all, let alone such beautiful and encouraging words like these. So thankyou so much, it means a lot! I will definitely have a look into these developments. Thankyou again for your kind words. Your son is very lucky to have you! Stay happy and healthy also. X

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never think less of urself cos of need to inject... I did... 28 years on And I found out what had hindered my thoughts about myself... And why I felt that I only deserved2nd place in a queue..

Well, actually... I am a **** lovely, caring and loving, gorgeous female... That genuinely tries her best to get on with her life.. And not play 2nd fiddle to diabetes....it lives with me...but is NOT my life. I have got involved with Patient Participation Group, diabetes forums and research because I want a better future for others... But I still out party, out dance and out live with fun others that aren't diabetic..... And so can you and any other diabetic reading this...

thankyou so much, your words are very encouraging! I really do admire your strength and you are definitely an inspiration to me, and i'd imagine to anybody else reading this too! X

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Live... And enjoy... Its all possible... d does not have to be a bug ball attached to your ankle and you dragging it along when walking....

You can have great big helium balloons attached to your armpits and lifting you up.. When a helium ballon bursts... Grab the helium and chuckle and laugh!! In a mickey mouse voice!!!

There afe great opportunitys out there to enjoy yourself and see D as a life enhancer.

I know I wouldn't have had such a fit, great body and mind if it hadn't have been for D....it took years to recognise this fact... But actually I allowed myself to get dragged down by allowing D to overwhelm me when I almost lost my driving license and went on to a pump.... But again now... Back on top and laughing and dancing and smiling with laughter everyday....

Its tough at times, I don't deny that at all..but every minute feeling sorry and bad is a minute wasted....

Reactions: 4 people

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Live... And enjoy... Its all possible... d does not have to be a bug ball attached to your ankle and you dragging it along when walking....

You can have great big helium balloons attached to your armpits and lifting you up.. When a helium ballon bursts... Grab the helium and chuckle and laugh!! In a mickey mouse voice!!!

There afe great opportunitys out there to enjoy yourself and see D as a life enhancer.

I know I wouldn't have had such a fit, great body and mind if it hadn't have been for D....it took years to recognise this fact... But actually I allowed myself to get dragged down by allowing D to overwhelm me when I almost lost my driving license and went on to a pump.... But again now... Back on top and laughing and dancing and smiling with laughter everyday....

Its tough at times, I don't deny that at all..but every minute feeling sorry and bad is a minute wasted....

very inspiring! Thankyou x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes, well and truly sometimes you need a bit of attention and mindfulness from your friends and family.... Totally agree...

However, I love my friends for treating me as totally normal.. Never questioning my bg's or testing.. Just accepting me for me.

After 30 years of my mum asking "are you high or low" - (never normal!!). It was a huge thing for me to do, but I told my mum.... I am your daughter- not your Diabetic daughter... See me for me.. NOT D First...

Sometimes, you just need to tell people that are close just how you are feeling so that they understand... Perhaps they see you test and inject and just accept it as part of you.. Which actually is really great, they see you as more important than D......

Be aware of how others actually see you.... They probably love n like you for not letting an illness impact on your conversations etc...and that is absolutely fantastic if they love you for being you...

To me there is nothing worse than someone just seeing you as diabetic..

My diabetic consultant is fantastic..she sees me as being me..me 1st, diabetes 2nd....we talk about anything and everything.. She knows that despite being on a pump that I want to be ME!!

I know life can be ****.. But you'll have great folk here to help for anything D Or not D!!

I just personally grateful that there are sites like this. 30 years ago you felt quite alone....

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, well and truly sometimes you need a bit of attention and mindfulness from your friends and family.... Totally agree...

However, I love my friends for treating me as totally normal.. Never questioning my bg's or testing.. Just accepting me for me.

After 30 years of my mum asking "are you high or low" - (never normal!!). It was a huge thing for me to do, but I told my mum.... I am your daughter- not your Diabetic daughter... See me for me.. NOT D First...

Sometimes, you just need to tell people that are close just how you are feeling so that they understand... Perhaps they see you test and inject and just accept it as part of you.. Which actually is really great, they see you as more important than D......

Be aware of how others actually see you.... They probably love n like you for not letting an illness impact on your conversations etc...and that is absolutely fantastic if they love you for being you...

To me there is nothing worse than someone just seeing you as diabetic..

My diabetic consultant is fantastic..she sees me as being me..me 1st, diabetes 2nd....we talk about anything and everything.. She knows that despite being on a pump that I want to be ME!!

I know life can be ****.. But you'll have great folk here to help for anything D Or not D!!

I just personally grateful that there are sites like this. 30 years ago you felt quite alone....

yes, completely. so glad I have found this amazing support network x

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing that I have realised with T1D, and I will admit I am still a baby at this at only ... errr. 6 years (yes I had to really think about that one), is that it is all about choice.
You can choose to learn all you can then control and own it and continue to live your life, or you can take another path.
Having not taken the other paths I can only speak from one point of view I guess.

Yes there are bad days (speaking from the middle of a summer cold.. what they hell is with that anyway?) where your sugars spike and you feel like ****. Then there are other bad days when your sugars bottom out and you feel like ****. But then there are the rest of the days when you get home at the end of a long hard day, expecting some bad news when the meter beeps and then.... 5.6... WOOHOO Party time!

I find that is an amazing stress relief in the day that I guess non-diabetics don't get.
Yes there are plenty of sucky bits but I think the real key choice is the joy or relief that you take when things are actually going well.

So after all of that I guess my sentiment is something along the lines of "Hi, I'm Andy.. and I have this little gremlin called diabetes that I beat the ever living hell out of every single day.... and I enjoy it!" Yes yes.. I know I'm an evil nasty sadistic person... but you know what... where T1D is concerned.. I'm good with that :)

Keep up the fight, and don't forget to savour the small victories :)

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing that I have realised with T1D, and I will admit I am still a baby at this at only ... errr. 6 years (yes I had to really think about that one), is that it is all about choice.
You can choose to learn all you can then control and own it and continue to live your life, or you can take another path.
Having not taken the other paths I can only speak from one point of view I guess.

Yes there are bad days (speaking from the middle of a summer cold.. what they hell is with that anyway?) where your sugars spike and you feel like ****. Then there are other bad days when your sugars bottom out and you feel like ****. But then there are the rest of the days when you get home at the end of a long hard day, expecting some bad news when the meter beeps and then.... 5.6... WOOHOO Party time!

I find that is an amazing stress relief in the day that I guess non-diabetics don't get.
Yes there are plenty of sucky bits but I think the real key choice is the joy or relief that you take when things are actually going well.

So after all of that I guess my sentiment is something along the lines of "Hi, I'm Andy.. and I have this little gremlin called diabetes that I beat the ever living hell out of every single day.... and I enjoy it!" Yes yes.. I know I'm an evil nasty sadistic person... but you know what... where T1D is concerned.. I'm good with that :)

Keep up the fight, and don't forget to savour the small victories :)
this was so supportive and encouraging, thankyou so much for replying! Lovely words and very inspiring. Thankyou for your support. X

Ruth30

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know the feeling today been t1 for 17 year an today am feeling rubbish l normal just get on with things but feeling very emotional an snapped at everyone in site today .

Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes

You forgot the nice boobs. Didn't recognise the new avatar.

Reactions: 3 people

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know the feeling today been t1 for 17 year an today am feeling rubbish l normal just get on with things but feeling very emotional an snapped at everyone in site today .

Don't forget you have done amazing; 17 years wow! Just remember how strong you are- you wouldn't have got her without strength and hope. Stay happy and healthy always x

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have a diabetes related break down almost on a monthly basis....I HATE having it and I'd give up anything not to be diabetic anymore :( you deffo don't feel alone and I thibk it would be weird if people DIDNT get down about it every once in a while!

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What everyone else has said in a very articulate way. I like that advert raising money for a cancer charity with the X-ray of a hand sticking 2 fingers up.
Hope everyone is having a good day and if not - we know now that you are not alone in how you feel. Reading the responses here makes me realise that being pi@@@d off is normal. Good to know.
Thanks for starting this thread. Xxx

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a diabetes related break down almost on a monthly basis....I HATE having it and I'd give up anything not to be diabetic anymore :( you deffo don't feel alone and I thibk it would be weird if people DIDNT get down about it every once in a while!

thankyou, it's very comforting that others feel the same way! Yes I suppose it's natural to feel like that sometimes. Stay happy and healthy x

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi insulinaddict,

So sorry you are at a low ebb.
When my husband got diagnosed with T1 just over 2 and a half years ago, he felt horribly isolated and didn't feel there was anyone to really talk to about diabetes who really 'got it' - that is someone who knew absolutely about the lived experience of diabetes and all it entails.
He consequently went on to set up the #gbdoc - the 'Great Britain diabetes online community' (www.gbdoc.co.uk) and organises weekly tweet chats - open to anyone to chat and share or just follow the conversation. In doing this he found a fantastic supportive online diabetes community - something which I am relieved you have found here on this amazing forum.

There's a thriving diabetes patient community out there willing to support and share advice and hopefully over time it will help you get back on track and help you feel a little more in control again.

Remember, the fact that you have had the courage to put your hand up and admit 'I'm struggling' in itself may help others who perhaps don't have the courage to do that for themselves - because you recognise that having diabetes sometimes really sucks. You have come here seeking support and have probably inadvertently helped many more in the process.

Wishing you positive thoughts and sending a supportive virtual hug. Bx
thankyou so much for your beautiful, kind and encouraging words. It means more than you could ever imagine! I will definitely check out the online community. Your husband is very lucky to have you! Stay happy always x

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What everyone else has said in a very articulate way. I like that advert raising money for a cancer charity with the X-ray of a hand sticking 2 fingers up.
Hope everyone is having a good day and if not - we know now that you are not alone in how you feel. Reading the responses here makes me realise that being pi@@@d off is normal. Good to know.
Thanks for starting this thread. Xxx

i agree, reading these responses have made me feel so supported and not alone! i hope they have helped you in a similar way. no problem, i'm overwhelmed by these responses! Stay happy and healthy always x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
To all the lovely helpful, caring and supportive members here:

I WISH YOU

When you're lonely
I wish you LOVE

When you're sad