Type one and the pill?

symer001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. Im 19 with an insulin pump and Ive recently been put on the pill to help with menstrual pain.

Normally a week before my period I have high blood readings and it gets a bit hard to manage.
Iv'e only taken the pill for three days so far, but will I still get my high readings a week before?
Also can the change of hormone levels in the pill effect my blood sugar readings all together?

debbiiee

Is it metformin? If thats any other pain killer like diclomine or mefenamic acid, it wont have any direct effect on sugars. Sugars are affected by hormonal changes before periods leading to difficulty in management. Watch ur levels more closely & do corrections if needed.
Take care. Regards from debbie.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Im 19 with an insulin pump and Ive recently been put on the pill to help with menstrual pain.

Normally a week before my period I have high blood readings and it gets a bit hard to manage.
Iv'e only taken the pill for three days so far, but will I still get my high readings a week before?
Also can the change of hormone levels in the pill effect my blood sugar readings all together?
I've been on the pill for a number of years now.
Didn't really affect my blood sugars I don't think, they're not high the week before but they're high the week of my period. I think it's because you stop taking it for that week and your body doesn't know it's going to come on before then.

The only way to tell what's going to happen is to wait and see I'm afraid!

All the best.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi , that's brilliant that you have begun the pill as it really does help with menstrual pains .
I agree with what Indiana91 says .
I have also been on the pill for a while now , and u just can't guess it , I'm different from one month to the next .
I have been told it has something to do with whats in the pill that I'm taking that makes my blood sugar levels so unpredictable . Was shocked to hear this actually . So there wasn't any answer , it is literally , see how it goes day to day , and tweak and change when needed .

Hope all goes well . Take care
:):):)