Pets

Diabetictype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So here you can post about pets you have and past pets and what cheeky stuff they do/did etc and if you plan on getting more pets.

The pets I have/had:
Pets I have:
Cookie: a guinea pig mix of Peruvian and abbysian
he is a cheeky fluffball still working on taming him he's 7 months and loves carrots likes to run around a lot.
10418943_496055503860870_5906121384774275339_n.jpg

10361033_496055233860897_1416186263282011246_n.jpg

Had:
Oreo:
He was a abbysian guinea pig cookie's cage mate
Sadly he passed away most likely from an illness as he was perfectly healthy the pet store checked him other with the pet vet along with cookie. But a few months later he drank a whole bottle of water and he peed a lot more we were going to take him to the vets at the weekend but unforutantly he passed away on the Friday. I guess It was either kidney failure or maybe even diabeties. He was only 3 months old
Jan 11 2014-March 21st 2014

1532005_419818384817916_2144708902_n.jpg

Caramel:
Caramel was my cinnamon banded Syrian hamster, He passed way on the 14th of may from old age. He was from the same pet store as my guinea pigs and he passed away from old age at 2yrs 4 months and 9 days. he was such a cute little hammy he was very cheeky and naughty as he escaped numerous times and even tried to burrow his way out trough the carpet so he made a big hole in the corner.
Febuary 2012-May 14th 2014
1044435_328684747264614_1907557850_n.jpg

2951_359937017472720_902747004_n.jpg

RIP Caramel and Oreo I will always love you and no animal can ever replace you.

Reactions: 6 people

lucyturniptree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I don't like beetroot or celery- URGGH
I currently have 4 fluffy bunny rabbits!
Artemis (3 year old male black dwarf/lionhead cross) and Izzie (2 year old female white with black butterfly dwarf/lionhead cross) live outside. They have a massive double story hutch inside a shed and an attached tube that runs to their outside run so they can go out to their run at any time. Artie is very affectionate and loves cuddles. Izzie is a feisty girl, will allow strokes and pets when she is in the mood, but will let you know when she isn't.
Pudding (1 ½ year old male ginger mini lop) and Marigold (4 year old female ginger mini lop) are indoor free range bunnies. They live in our kitchen/dining/garden room. They have a litter tray, an mini arm chair, a little log cabin and loads of toys and they run around as they please. Pudding is a kissies monster- he will jump up onto my husband if he sits on the sofa and lick him to death! Marigold is a rescue bunny and is still a little nervous of being handled. She adores Pudding though!

As for ex pets, Artemis was originally bonded to a different bunny- a rescue ex breeder called Lulu who was a white and speckled mini lop who died of cancer about 6 months after we rescued her. She was a beautiful rabbit. So affectionate and placid. She loved the grass as she had never seen it before we had her. She loved to sunbathe too- again, she had never seen it before we had her. She had a short time with us, but it was a happy one. I will never forget when she did her first binky (bunny happy jumps) or holding her in my arms as she took her last breaths- feeling her pulse slowly fade, knowing that she was no longer in pain.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Attachments

• 1401394674099.jpg
    1401394674099.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 174
  • 1401395040911.jpg
    1401395040911.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 1401395436236.jpg
    1401395436236.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 167

Diabetictype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I currently have 4 fluffy bunny rabbits!
Artemis (3 year old male black dwarf/lionhead cross) and Izzie (2 year old female white with black butterfly dwarf/lionhead cross) live outside. They have a massive double story hutch inside a shed and an attached tube that runs to their outside run so they can go out to their run at any time. Artie is very affectionate and loves cuddles. Izzie is a feisty girl, will allow strokes and pets when she is in the mood, but will let you know when she isn't.
Pudding (1 ½ year old male ginger mini lop) and Marigold (4 year old female ginger mini lop) are indoor free range bunnies. They live in our kitchen/dining/garden room. They have a litter tray, an mini arm chair, a little log cabin and loads of toys and they run around as they please. Pudding is a kissies monster- he will jump up onto my husband if he sits on the sofa and lick him to death! Marigold is a rescue bunny and is still a little nervous of being handled. She adores Pudding though!

As for ex pets, Artemis was originally bonded to a different bunny- a rescue ex breeder called Lulu who was a white and speckled mini lop who died of cancer about 6 months after we rescued her. She was a beautiful rabbit. So affectionate and placid. She loved the grass as she had never seen it before we had her. She loved to sunbathe too- again, she had never seen it before we had her. She had a short time with us, but it was a happy one. I will never forget when she did her first binky (bunny happy jumps) or holding her in my arms as she took her last breaths- feeling her pulse slowly fade, knowing that she was no longer in pain.

Your bunnies are very Cute would love bunnies but need a lot of space right?

Reactions: 2 people

lucyturniptree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I don't like beetroot or celery- URGGH
Your bunnies are very Cute would love bunnies but need a lot of space right?
Yes. Lots of space. People think that you can keep rabbits in a tiny hutch, but they need at least 6 foot long one. Our house rabbits have a small area that is just theirs (we made a litter tray out of a plastic dog bed) and they share the rest of the space with us.

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My boy Gus
image.jpg

He's a rescue dog vet says boxer x bullmastiff and currently weighs in at eight and a half stone,
Thing is I wasn't really looking for a pet I'd gone to the sanctuary with a friend but as soon as I saw him I knew he was coming home with me.
Trust me on this a cream carpet and a drooling dog are not a good mix, and boy can he drool:arghh:

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My boy Gus View attachment 5387

He's a rescue dog vet says boxer x bullmastiff and currently weighs in at eight and a half stone,
Thing is I wasn't really looking for a pet I'd gone to the sanctuary with a friend but as soon as I saw him I knew he was coming home with me.
Trust me on this a cream carpet and a drooling dog are not a good mix, and boy can he drool:arghh:
Gorgeous - but I must admit, my second thought was of the carpet! ;)

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gorgeous - but I must admit, my second thought was of the carpet! ;)

:) I had to make a donation of £150 to the sanctuary to bring him home and within a week I'd made another donation to Vax for a carpet cleaner :D

Oh and lots of dark rugs help

Reactions: 4 people

Adrian1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have always been a cat person and always had older cats from a rescue centre.
After our last cat had an accident and is no longer with us we decided to have change this time and have a maine coon kitten. If you have not heard of these before google it. They are like a mini lion.

Her name is poppy and she is feeling sorry for herself today as she has been to the vets to be neutered.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1403040716.311207.jpg

Reactions: 5 people

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
image.jpg

My Border Collie Dexter, this picture is about a year old, I don't get stopped in the street quite as much as I used to...

John_ch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot!
Well they say that people's pets are Locke their owners.... My Becky, my Westie has just been diagnosed with Diabetes! She is being kept at the vets for a few days as she has high ketones and to get her sugars under control. :-(

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well they say that people's pets are Locke their owners.... My Becky, my Westie has just been diagnosed with Diabetes! She is being kept at the vets for a few days as she has high ketones and to get her sugars under control. :-(

I hope Becky will be OK, John.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have 2 cavalier King Charles spaniels, a black and tan, Muffin, and a Blenheim, Leo, aged 7 and 6 respectively. My husband has a springer spaniel *****, Purdey, who is a gun dog and she is nearly 5. A while back I had an 80 gallon fish tank in my lounge which cracked and the water drowned my carpet, so yes, I need a new carpet, but may 'make do' with rugs for now! The fish survived!!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
This topic must repeat quite often, which is great! The last one I think was http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-pets-do-you-have.55687/

Love the guinea pigs (or peepigs as my daughter used to call them when she was little)! We started with a pair, supposedly both girls (they weren't) and one already pregnant. Ended up with a menagerie of 17 - 'fun for all the family' hardly got close until we stepped in to manage the situation ;).

If I say 'popcorning' in relation to young guinea pigs, I presume you know what I mean? :)

Nicko2K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have a couple of pets. All really demanding and would happily have me running around after them 24/7!
Also have a squeeky gin pig who just likes to hide but no photos. And have fish, n a cat lol. :-D

Type 1 Diabetic: (Novorapid/Levemir) Diagnosed 2014: Extremely handsome: Always smiling :)

Attachments

• 1403124201916.jpg
    1403124201916.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 1403124227730.jpg
    1403124227730.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 1403124239730.jpg
    1403124239730.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 1403124248471.jpg
    1403124248471.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 144

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a couple of pets. All really demanding and would happily have me running around after them 24/7!
Also have a squeeky gin pig who just likes to hide but no photos. And have fish, n a cat lol. :-D

Type 1 Diabetic: (Novorapid/Levemir) Diagnosed 2014: Extremely handsome: Always smiling :)

Gorgeous pics!

Want some of your camera shy gpig!

And yes, popcorning... Loved having the wee squeakers.

@John_ch there is a thread somewhere about a diabetic dog.
Can anyone remember what it was called?
It had some great diet and medication info, also advice from vets and vet nurses and pet owners on getting meds and needles cheaper than through the vets. It was good info - well worth finding the thread, if you can...