easybake bread

meoman

dont know if lidl still sell the easybake low gi bread?.. called countrystyle?.. supposedly rye and sourdough are the best combo for low gi?.. are there other mixes that are similar?

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
dont know if lidl still sell the easybake low gi bread?.. called countrystyle?.. supposedly rye and sourdough are the best combo for low gi?.. are there other mixes that are similar?
I'm

i'm going to Lidl next week will check that out for low GI bread I'll also look at rye and sourdough as I am always looking for low GI foods. I often make my own bread, using a Breadmaker, using 1/2 and 1/2 wholemeal & white flours ... (All wholemeal makes heavy bread). and lots of mixed seeds.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MARGAR

Have you tried buckwheat bread?

I love it. Much lower gi than wheat, and deliciously dense and flavourful.

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Barley bread, that's new to me. I don't think I have seen it in shops, or do you make your own.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Barley bread, that's new to me. I don't think I have seen it in shops, or do you make your own.

Oops, sorry, I went back and edited my post to correct it - you must have seen it before I made the change - I typed barley first (and it IS delicious), but meant to type buckwheat - not quite as nice, but much lower gi.

Barley is only slightly lower than wheat.
Buckwheat is much lower.

Mind you - worth trying both. Sometimes wheat spikes more than its gi deserves.

Hope that wasn't too confusing!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to get the flours from our local health food shop in Wales. I think somewhere like holland and barret might stock it...

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
the "Easybake" bread mixes were still on sale at our local branches in Lancashire yesterday (Sunday).

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oops, sorry, I went back and edited my post to correct it - you must have seen it before I made the change - I typed barley first (and it IS delicious), but meant to type buckwheat - not quite as nice, but much lower gi.

Barley is only slightly lower than wheat.
Buckwheat is much lower.

Mind you - worth trying both. Sometimes wheat spikes more than its gi deserves.

Hope that wasn't too confusing!

Sorry to be a bit ignorant about all this, but "barley" flour? Or do you grind uncooked barley in the food processor? I think I can buy buckwheat in my local Market, so I'll have a go at that - just buckwheat, no other added flours?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to buy the barley and buckwheat in flour bags, just like any other, from the health food shop.

Doves Farm flour company do a buckwheat flour. I've just looked it up and been reminded that it has no gluten, so I must have been making it as soda bread - it was 5 years ago, so my memory is patchy).
This looks familiar-ish:
http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/buckwheat-soda-bread/

I know I was making the barley bread in a bread maker, and I know I used 100% barley flour for it. I made it so often... I am sure I just used the normal whole wheat bread recipe, substituting barley flour for wheat flour. Yet all the recipes I've found just now on the net stress out about the lack of gluten. Weird.

I'm sorry if I'm sending you on a wild goose chase!

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I used to buy the barley and buckwheat in flour bags, just like any other, from the health food shop.

Doves Farm flour company do a buckwheat flour. I've just looked it up and been reminded that it has no gluten, so I must have been making it as soda bread - it was 5 years ago, so my memory is patchy).
This looks familiar-ish:
http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/buckwheat-soda-bread/

I know I was making the barley bread in a bread maker, and I know I used 100% barley flour for it. I made it so often... I am sure I just used the normal whole wheat bread recipe, substituting barley flour for wheat flour. Yet all the recipes I've found just now on the net stress out about the lack of gluten. Weird.

I'm sorry if I'm sending you on a wild goose chase!
No worries

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pressed "send" button by mistake, anyway, thanks for all the info. and for being so patient. No doubt I'll be back sometime to let you all know what I think of this bread.
I look forward to hearing.
I love bread, even if I only get to share recipes, nowadays!
;)

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make a really nice Danish-style sourdough 100% ryebread. The starter is rye (kept in the fridge for months at a time, just scoop out a little of the goo to make a new starter), and it has whole rye berries and beer in it. Yum! It takes about a week to make from start to finish, but it's well worth it. Tastes just wonderful with a really thick coating of salted butter and some marmite or liver pate!