BDEC online course

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm doing the BDEC online course as I realise I'm starting to forget what I learned on DAFNE, and just to see how it's different. (Of course it would be different if the DAFNE course materials weren't hidden like some state secret!)

It's not perfect but it's much the same as DAFNE, and I can do it from home in my own time. It's actually kind of therapeutic as it asks lots of questions about your feelings etc.

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Reactions: 7 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I'm doing them decide online as well, very interesting although some of the teaching is a little archaic, but I can forgive them that as I know what really is.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I completed the course and gave a lot of feedback which was well received by BDEC. They are aware the course is now a little dated and they are well underway with a complete revamp. The new online course will be called BERTIE Online, based on the face to face BERTIE course. It seems to be being redeveloped in cooperation with UCL.

Personally I think this a great alternative to the very long delays in getting on to face to face courses, which also are always during working hours, and this is one of the main drivers for BDEC offering the course.

iHs

When I enquired at my hospital on going on a DAFNE course, I was told the waiting list was 6 months. Waaaaat?.... I wasn't too pleased so took the matter into my own hands and went on BDEC to learn a bit more

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm doing the BDEC online course as I realise I'm starting to forget what I learned on DAFNE, and just to see how it's different. (Of course it would be different if the DAFNE course materials weren't hidden like some state secret!)

It's not perfect but it's much the same as DAFNE, and I can do it from home in my own time. It's actually kind of therapeutic as it asks lots of questions about your feelings etc.

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Why are the DAFNE course materials so "secret" ? I asked about access to them when it was not possible to attend a course, but was suggested that the course would be helpful to me?

It seems daft that the course is not run in some areas, and in the areas where it is, there are long waiting lists, so wouldn't it be more helpful to make the material available? :banghead: It's easier to obtain the secrets of the Illuminati :rolleyes:

Signy

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Why are the DAFNE course materials so "secret" ? I asked about access to them when it was not possible to attend a course, but was suggested that the course would be helpful to me?

It seems daft that the course is not run in some areas, and in the areas where it is, there are long waiting lists, so wouldn't it be more helpful to make the material available? :banghead: It's easier to obtain the secrets of the Illuminati :rolleyes:

Signy
Signy,
it's probably a business decision. if you had a resource (such as a book or course script, would you release it for general use, without getting back the shekels laid out to put it together.
Besides if the course became public domain, how could you monitor the info given out! Groups like us could analyze it and pick holes in its flaws!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Not sure why but you do have to be a DAFNE graduate to access the on-line material.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The DAFNE people say that it is a 'whole package' ie not just the materials but the methodology of presentation which has been 'scientifically tested' and that 'people need to be offered a' tested product'

My own consultant thinks that the whole idea of an online course is 'dangereuse'. He considers that most of his patients would be incapable of using such methods.( I think he is over cautious but have come to agree that some people who would find the calculations and estimations difficult. This could lead to some big errors in insulin dosing)

There are some what they call functional insulinotherapy courses here but if there isn't one locally and you don't speak English then there are very few resources for you to learn by yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you haven't done a course or been trained, don't you have to put any adjustments past the nurse, I think the online course is more for background or a refresher, isn't it?
I can't see the nurse saying go home and work it out on the net

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Signy,
it's probably a business decision. if you had a resource (such as a book or course script, would you release it for general use, without getting back the shekels laid out to put it together.
Besides if the course became public domain, how could you monitor the info given out! Groups like us could analyze it and pick holes in its flaws!

Now, Fergus, we wouldn't dream of doing that, would we ? ;) (wishing there was an emoticon for "evil grin " )

Signy
Edited twice for predictive text demons )

Last edited by a moderator:

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you haven't done a course or been trained, don't you have to put any adjustments past the nurse, I think the online course is more for background or a refresher, isn't it?
I can't see the nurse saying go home and work it out on the net

Heh! Most of my adjustments have been self calculated from the get go of being on basal/bolus. It was a case of being handed pens and penfils and "Go forth and be thou diabetic ":eek:

It's only these last few weeks after several years that it's finally dawned on them that Lantus really, truly didn't suit me and the insulins are being changed with DSN input.

Signy

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think their concern is that they don't want people taking bits and pieces of DAFNE, or (worse) adapting it. They feel it needs to be taught as a whole and unchanged. Ostensibly this is because only DAFNE in its full and unchanged form was subjected to proper analysis of effectiveness by NICE (or whoever). So in theory if one aspect was left out, or changed, the clinical benefits are no longer known. That's their argument.

A less kind view is that there is a "DAFNE Mafia" who won't less anyone else play with their football unless they get to dictate the rules.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The DAFNE people say that it is a 'whole package' ie not just the materials but the methodology of presentation which has been 'scientifically tested' and that 'people need to be offered a' tested product'

My own consultant thinks that the whole idea of an online course is 'dangereuse'. He considers that most of his patients would be incapable of using such methods.( I think he is over cautious but have come to agree that some people who would find the calculations and estimations difficult. This could lead to some big errors in insulin dosing).

I can see their point, the whole course takes around 5 days to get through and there's not much time for anything else, the first day alone (well it was on my course) was just concentrating on basal insulin and getting that right.

However I still think that on-line courses such as the BDEC serve a purpose, if anything just to get them started before enrolling on the DAFNE course.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A less kind view is that there is a "DAFNE Mafia" who won't less anyone else play with their football unless they get to dictate the rules.

Be careful what your saying Spiker, you'll wake-up in the morning with a horses head in your bed :D

Reactions: 3 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can see their point, the whole course takes around 5 days to get through and there's not much time for anything else, the first day alone (well it was on my course) was just concentrating on basal insulin and getting that right.

However I still think that on-line courses such as the BDEC serve a purpose, if anything just to get them started before enrolling on the DAFNE course.

So if you are not breaking any oath of secrecy, and answering me won't get you marched between two rows of DSN's flogging you with Novopens ;), what does a DAFNE course comprise of, that it takes five days ? I'm genuinely curious !:)

Signy

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mmmmph....
While prowling the perimeters of the DAFNE site, I came across this :

http://www.dafneonline.co.uk/BackgroundInsulininDAFNE.pdf

Signy

a statistically significant reduction in HbA1c 12 months after DAFNE occurs only in patients taking background insulin twice daily. ....
There may be reasons why healthcare professionals consider analogue BI use, such as patient preference for once daily regimen, or problematic overnight hypoglycaemia,
in the absence of such indications the Executive Board continues to recommend twice daily NPH insulin as the default regimen for DAFNE

That is really interesting, I've never used NPH as was put onto lantus at diagnosis even though the hospital had little experience of it at the time ( one doctor said one thing about pre bed levels and the consultant contradicted her saying that this new insulin was flat).
They really stress twice daily basal and that makes sense. I've noted elsewhere that there seems to be a move in the NHS (and in Germany) back to NPH as a basal; similar results lower costs.