Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i was kindly donated a meter from a member here
i,ve worked out how to use it and tested my blood
before breakfast, it was 21.5, which i know is high but when the diabetic nurse tested it two weeks ago, it was 31

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
is this reading in mmol/l.............?

if its that high after a period of fasting, then medication is needed........

are you on any.....?

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree that is high but at least now you have a meter you can start to find out how badly some foods effect you and what you can eat with out it going up further.

Good luck, its a steep learning curve.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
it is high, but you know that. Now you have the meter and learn how to test out foods you can then act on that, and before long your fasting levels will come down and your health will improve. Well done Ally, keep going, good luck, and keep us informed of your progress and what you are learning. Keep an eye on how many strips you have left, and make sure you replace them before you run out!

Reactions: 2 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck ally - the meter keeps you in control more and lets you know whats good for you and whats not ! Keep posting on here- check out the thread lots of us put our fasting levels on every morning, keeps you going!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad you now have a meter, Ally. Yes, your reading are very high, but they can come down. I looked back in my meter log book and saw that in Aug 2013 I was in the 20s, now, a year later, I'm in the 5s and 6s, and most of that has happened in the last 10 weeks through cutting out bread, potatoes, pasta and rice (as well as ice-cream, cakes, chocolate - which I know I should never have been eating anyway).

You can take control of this - go Ally!

Reactions: 4 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
thank you all for the replies

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
before breakfast, it was 21.5, which i know is high but when the diabetic nurse tested it two weeks ago, it was 31
That's excellent news about the meter Ally. What sort is it?

I know there was some dialogue on another thread about your challenge of internet shopping. Do you have a bank account, with a cheque book? And, do you use the internet to look at any bank accounts you have already?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
well done on making a start at getting to grips with those big numbers.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
andbreathe, its a codefree meter

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
G'day Ally.

Those numbers are very high. What advice did the nurse give you to help improve your numbers? Were you prescribed any medication at all? While you consider your answer, I wrote some tips to help you begin using your meter and changing your menu for better results. I hope this helps you (click on it): Getting Started

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
alan, i,m on 2 meds for diabetes
the diabetic nurse didn,t give me any advice but i see the dietician on 5th august
this morning my reading was 14.7 so its going down
i went to buy some more test strips but 3 chemists don,t have them

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi ally1,
The code free test strips are only available online .. but they are a lot cheeper than the other makes of strips

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ally - I don't know of anywhere on the High Street selling strips for the Codefree meter. I buy mine directly from the supplier. Many use Amazon and eBay, but I prefer to go directly, thinking the supplier will get more profit that way, and I can get a discount if I buy 5 or 10 tubs at a time.

Www.homehealth-UK.com (the supplier via Amazon and eBay) have very flexible purchase options, with their terms set out here: http://www.homehealth-uk.com/docs/terms.htm They are in Watford, so not close enough that you might be able to visit them, unfortunately.

Silver Hammer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Direct from Homehealth if you get 5 x 50 and use discount code 264086 they are £25, so £5 for 50 rather than £7. There is also a code for 10 x 50 which is 975833 but I haven't tried this one.
Maxwell

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i ordered 400, was meant to be 200, but never mind
ordered them from amazon for £67.59

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
G'day Ally.

Those numbers are very high. What advice did the nurse give you to help improve your numbers? Were you prescribed any medication at all? While you consider your answer, I wrote some tips to help you begin using your meter and changing your menu for better results. I hope this helps you (click on it): Getting Started
Nice advice Alan