IVE BEEN SO BAD :( HELP & ADVICE NEEDED.

InsulinHero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes :L :D
So i dont really know how to start this, being a new user id first like to hey... Hello im james currently creeping upon 1 year being a T1 diabetic. But this is where this thread comes into it, for the first few months i was doing well sticking to the plans, doses and hospital visits...... Until now where i barely take my insulin, eating so much **** i.e. Sweets, pop and other sugary foods. I dont even visit the hospital any more. I honestly dont feel any different, i know its really bad even my girlfriend is starting to get extremely worried. Im finding it hard to get back onto my doses and schedule. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if theres any spelling mistakes, on the iPad.

Thanks You in Advance. :3

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the Forum James.

You are doing the right thing by recognising you are not dealing with your Diabetes as you should.

Are you taking no insulin at all? Are you taking it erratically?

Have you tried contacting your healthcare team? They are likely to have dealt with many people in your situation in the past.

InsulinHero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Welcome to the Forum James.

You are doing the right thing by recognising you are not dealing with your Diabetes as you should.

Are you taking no insulin at all? Are you taking it erratically?

Have you tried contacting your healthcare team? They are likely to have dealt with many people in your situation in the past.
I just occasionally take it. Id say a few injections a month. Thats part of the problem i dont want to contact them :(

Megziee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I am coming up to 6 years Type 1, I have been through good and bad times and I am still not 100% perfect. I completely understand where you are. It is never easy I know, trust me. I have been struggling with diabetes for a long time now and I understand that you need to talk to someone. Message me if you need to talk.

But for now I have this advice for you. Just try to take it more often than not, I know that is not the perfect control but a little bit can start you on the right track. Think about your future, the complications that will happen if you don't have any insulin for a long time. Also going DKA (diabetic ketone-acidosis) is not fun at all, I have had it a few times and the first time was after I stopped taking insulin and after about a month of it I was rushed into hospital and my condition was very bad. I had never thought of diabetes being capable of causing something so bad! So take your insulin a few times to start and then build yourself up slowly if necessary. I am getting there but I still have my bad days where I refuse to do it properly but now I do it more than I used to. These things take time and those who don't have diabetes don't understand what we go through, trust me I understand where you are, I've been there.

Message me whenever, I hope this helped a little

Megan x

Reactions: 2 people

InsulinHero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi,

I am coming up to 6 years Type 1, I have been through good and bad times and I am still not 100% perfect. I completely understand where you are. It is never easy I know, trust me. I have been struggling with diabetes for a long time now and I understand that you need to talk to someone. Message me if you need to talk.

But for now I have this advice for you. Just try to take it more often than not, I know that is not the perfect control but a little bit can start you on the right track. Think about your future, the complications that will happen if you don't have any insulin for a long time. Also going DKA (diabetic ketone-acidosis) is not fun at all, I have had it a few times and the first time was after I stopped taking insulin and after about a month of it I was rushed into hospital and my condition was very bad. I had never thought of diabetes being capable of causing something so bad! So take your insulin a few times to start and then build yourself up slowly if necessary. I am getting there but I still have my bad days where I refuse to do it properly but now I do it more than I used to. These things take time and those who don't have diabetes don't understand what we go through, trust me I understand where you are, I've been there.

Message me whenever, I hope this helped a little

Megan x
Thanks for the reply Megan :) i can certainly see where you are coming from, I've been pretty much off insulin for a good 6 months maybe more no sings of DKA, but i will take your advice and try taking it more often. Again thank you so much.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
So i dont really know how to start this, being a new user id first like to hey... Hello im james currently creeping upon 1 year being a T1 diabetic. But this is where this thread comes into it, for the first few months i was doing well sticking to the plans, doses and hospital visits...... Until now where i barely take my insulin, eating so much **** i.e. Sweets, pop and other sugary foods. I dont even visit the hospital any more. I honestly dont feel any different, i know its really bad even my girlfriend is starting to get extremely worried. Im finding it hard to get back onto my doses and schedule. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if theres any spelling mistakes, on the iPad.

Thanks You in Advance. :3
Young man you are on a dangerous and misery producing road.
At your age it is impossible to imagine life twenty five years further on and if you can glimpse it it never really seems important cos it's twenty five years away!
Each year along the road you'll get sicker and more and more lost and miserable.
You ave recognised though that the road you're on is the wrong one.
If you can change direction now ... with some urgency I might add ... you can avoid the misery of pain confusion bloating and other stuff ... like having bits of your body removed.
You can actually keep those good looks have lots of fun and laughter contribute to the world and keep on keeping on ... if you really wanna.
I'm rambling ... I'd wish you luck but luck isn't what you need it's effort on your part.
Go for it kid ... or don't .....

Reactions: 7 people

InsulinHero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Young man you are on a dangerous and misery producing road.
At your age it is impossible to imagine life twenty five years further on and if you can glimpse it it never really seems important cos it's twenty five years away!
Each year along the road you'll get sicker and more and more lost and miserable.
You ave recognised though that the road you're on is the wrong one.
If you can change direction now ... with some urgency I might add ... you can avoid the misery of pain confusion bloating and other stuff ... like having bits of your body removed.
You can actually keep those good looks have lots of fun and laughter contribute to the world and keep on keeping on ... if you really wanna.
I'm rambling ... I'd wish you luck but luck isn't what you need it's effort on your part.
Go for it kid ... or don't .....
Most definatly something to think about. Cheers.

Megziee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You might not have signs but trust me it can come up fast! Trust me it is not worth it, not only is it awful for you but for your family ho have to see you go through it. Glad I could help, hope you get on the right track even a little bit. You'll get there, just one dose at a time :)

InsulinHero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Only a few comments, but thats all its needed. Id like to thank all of you, i do see the severity with this situation and it may be a bleak and ****** thing but I'm going to make the best out of it. Going to start taking again today. THANK YOU. <3 Been reading up on pumps, might try and get one of those instead of doing it myself.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Only a few comments, but thats all its needed. Id like to thank all of you, i do see the severity with this situation and it may be a bleak and ****** thing but I'm going to make the best out of it. Going to start taking again today. THANK YOU. <3
It's quiet just now inn forum world ... school hols nice weather etc.
Keep coming back.

InsulinHero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's quiet just now inn forum world ... school hols nice weather etc.
Keep coming back.
Yeah haha, i got time off work and im boiling 0_0 UK weather is nice which is a surprise. :D nice meeting you all btw.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just occasionally take it. Id say a few injections a month. Thats part of the problem i dont want to contact them :(

I can understand where you are coming from but the longer you leave it the more difficult it will become.
Diabetes is a 24/7 condition and the longer you leave it the more likely you are to have issues.
I'm glad you've said above that you will take action and start taking your insulin again.
As @JACKTHELAD says, keep coming back to the forum, you can learn alot from others who are going through the same as you are.

Megziee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Only a few comments, but thats all its needed. Id like to thank all of you, i do see the severity with this situation and it may be a bleak and ****** thing but I'm going to make the best out of it. Going to start taking again today. THANK YOU. <3 Been reading up on pumps, might try and get one of those instead of doing it myself.

I have a pump so any questions about pumps I can try and help

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi James. I have lived with diabetes for a long time (50 years to be precise) It is not an easy road to follow. When I was a teenager, I went through this same thing. I wanted to be slim like my friends and would miss injections to lose weight. I did this for about a year, then I decided I was fed up of being ill and feeling so bad. If people didn't want to be my friend because I was plump, well that was their problem not mine. if a boy didn't want to go out with me because I was cuddly, again that was his problem not mine. So I started taking my insulin, my GP referred me back to the hospital diabetic clinic and I got back on track. You can overcome this and its better to do this sooner rather than later because I am sorry to say uncontrolled diabetes can and will cause a lot of damage if it goes on for too long. Sending you a big hug and hope you can get your head round this. Anne :)

InsulinHero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi James. I have lived with diabetes for a long time (50 years to be precise) It is not an easy road to follow. When I was a teenager, I went through this same thing. I wanted to be slim like my friends and would miss injections to lose weight. I did this for about a year, then I decided I was fed up of being ill and feeling so bad. If people didn't want to be my friend because I was plump, well that was their problem not mine. if a boy didn't want to go out with me because I was cuddly, again that was his problem not mine. So I started taking my insulin, my GP referred me back to the hospital diabetic clinic and I got back on track. You can overcome this and its better to do this sooner rather than later because I am sorry to say uncontrolled diabetes can and will cause a lot of damage if it goes on for too long. Sending you a big hug and hope you can get your head round this. Anne :)
Im not not doing it to lose weight, I'm actually pretty underweight :'( but even when i was properly doing it i was seeing no difference not even a pound gained. But yeah im now starting to see the error of my ways and will be getting back on track. Thanks for the replys, means alot :)

Reactions: 3 people

brubeck1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
james , i was diagnosed in 2012. type 1 like you. in the first year i stopped testing nearly all together. felt fine .
went to docs one day , he tested blood sugar, he went ape,told me i had keytones again , it was a shock i was basically dying on my feet.
it all happend that fast . now i keep a testing kit with me all the time

D

Deleted member 83869

You would need to try and improve your diabetes a bit first as they won't just give you it lol! But how are you still alive with insulin just a couple of times a month! I can't go 24 hours without insulin without being seriously ill and in hospital lol! Do you test?? I was in your situation...kind of a few years back when I was 15/16 if you need any help just message! You can do it! :) x

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi James

I hope that you can get your insulin injections and eating sorted as soon possible, you sound as if you started off doing a great job. Diabetes clinic staff have seen it all before, we all go through times where it seems a great big pointless effort but it's what we need to do. We are insulin dependent, it's not an optional extra.

I went through a period of not bothering in my 20's about 20 years ago and I'm living with the consequences. Unfortunately complications can hit you hard, I imagined I might get a few minor niggles in old age but ended up with complications that changed my life in my 30's. Knowing what I know now I would give anything to go back and take care of myself when I had the chance.

Pumps are a great way of controlling blood sugars but it is not a case of handing over control to a machine. They take a lot of setting up and ongoing care to make sure you get the best results.

You've made a good move coming on here and asking for help, like the others have said make a start now to stop any potential damage starting.

Coping with insulin injections and carbohydrate counting are the easy bits, coping with complications are the really hard bits. Wishing you good luck getting to grips with it all.

Reactions: 3 people

InsulinHero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You would need to try and improve your diabetes a bit first as they won't just give you it lol! But how are you still alive with insulin just a couple of times a month! I can't go 24 hours without insulin without being seriously ill and in hospital lol! Do you test?? I was in your situation...kind of a few years back when I was 15/16 if you need any help just message! You can do it! :) x
Im alive all well and good, i start to think am i really a diabetic lmao, and no i barely test but when i do its always to high for the monitor, but to be perfectly honest, i don't feel like i need it, i drink normal amounts of liquids and i urinate at maximum 4 times a day. Do you have to be in good standing for a pump? Im in the UK so if i fit the criteria i could get one NHS funded. Im new to all this pretty much....well pump related. It would fit my life style more rather than doing it myself. Makes ita lot easier and stress free. Been watch videos, Animas Onetouch i think it is looks like one of the best thats if they have it here in the UK.