SD Codefree

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I currently have a Freestyle Lite which I got free with some test strips ages ago but the replacement strips are so expensive and I'm looking for something cheaper. I'm tempted by the SD Codefree, what do those of you who have it think of it? Ease of use...function...durability etc

Thanks

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,ve been using codefree for about 2 weeks and find it very good

Reactions: 2 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been using my code free for over 3 years. I don't have anything to compare it to but its very easy to use. Has more than enough functions for me, such as pre and post BG measure, alarm for 1 or 2 hr pos meal testing, average over 7, 14 and 30 days (for pre- post-meal tests or overall BG levels).
There is an option to have a data cable to download readings but I just use a spreadsheet.

The screen is large and easy to see even without my glasses!!

Its robust! dropped mine quite a few times, never had a problem. the case provided is plain black heavy-duty cloth - (would prefer a hard sided wipe clean case)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm very happy with mine, but there are rumours of inaccuracy at the upper and lower range...

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I'm very happy with mine, but there are rumours of inaccuracy at the upper and lower range...
So far I haven't been in either range so it may be ok for me then. I must admit, I am very tempted by the price of the test strips as my current meter is ridiculously expensive (didn't matter when I only checked occasionally).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So far I haven't been in either range so it may be ok for me then. I must admit, I am very tempted by the price of the test strips as my current meter is ridiculously expensive (didn't matter when I only checked occasionally).
Yes, the reason I switched to the Codefree was the price - no other reason.

AndyMc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been using the codefree for a few months, and am happy with it. Occasionally I've been suspicious that I've got an inaccurate reading, so I've done a second reading on my AccuCheck Aviva and each time the reading has been similar, so I'm happy that generally it's no more inaccurate than the more expensive meters/strips. And functionally it's almost identical to the Aviva, for my usage, so no difference there.

Given the price differential in the strips, it's the only meter I'd consider using at the moment..

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
I love my codefree kit. I also bought it due to cost of other meter strips. So far I can't fault it

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
I have 5 meters: an SD Codefree, a Bayer Contour Next, two Freestyle Lies, and a TRUEresul Twist.

The Bayer has by far the best interface and software.
The Freestyle Lite as a quality feel about it, but the strips have the test area on the side and this makes it slightly awkward to use
The SD works a great and is cheap to run, computer logging software is a bit eccentric.
The TRUEresult is compact and very simple to the extent of being mimimalist but usually reads low

Have tried them all against one another I have come to the conclusion that there isn't much difference in accuracy between the Bayer Contour Next, the Freestyle Lite, and the SD Codefree.

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Can anyone tell me how to set the units to mmol please, I have looked through the manual, but for the life of me I cant find it.

Thanks folks

Jim

AndyMc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone tell me how to set the units to mmol please, I have looked through the manual, but for the life of me I cant find it.

I think the codefree is hard-coded to mmol/l or mg/dl - I don't think you can change it. So you may have bought the mg/dl version.

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
I think the codefree is hard-coded to mmol/l or mg/dl - I don't think you can change it. So you may have bought the mg/dl version.
Thanks Andy, no worries just checking, my new gluco meter should be here soon anyway.

Jim