managing without medication

StormyDog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just turned 45 and as part of my checkup been diagnosed T2. Current BMI is 31.4 down from 33.4 in 4 weeks (6kgs). Mother and 2 out of 3 siblings are all type 2.

I really want to fight this without drugs for as long as possible. I'm using my diagnosis as a motivator to force me to diet and change my very inactive lifestyle.

On a normal day I'd take less than 200 steps (counted them) and my moods and general fitness motivation and personality are very poor.

Using my T2 as the source of motivation I've dramatically modified my diet and started walking again ( too unfit to run after 20 years on the sofa) my attitude to life is improving and I'm quiet happy with the progress I'm making.

Got my first set of bloods post diagnosis this week. I have currently not been given any medication for my T2 due to treatment for an unrelated condition.

I want to continue to work on diet and exercise but I expect to be offered a statin for my BP ( due to BMI ) and probably Metfornin(sp) for my fasting Bloods (5.4-6.4)

Knowing my past I believe that once I accept treatment I'll let the diet and exercise slip.

I want the groups opinion on my ambition to stay drug free ? Am I being naive ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

G

graj0

I want to continue to work on diet and exercise but I expect to be offered a statin for my BP ( due to BMI ) and probably Metfornin(sp) for my fasting Bloods (5.4-6.4)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I'm not aware of statins helping with blood pressure, whatever your BMI. Fasting bloods, well this is what Diabetes.co.uk say :-
  • Normal: 3.9 to 5.5 mmols/l (70 to 100 mg/dl)
  • Prediabetes or Impaired Glucose Tolerance: 5.6 to 7.0 mmol/l (101 to 126 mg/dl)
  • Diagnosis of diabetes: more than 7.0 mmol/l (126 mg/dl)
So, you're just above normal and just within what is now called pre-diabetic. Weight loss will obviously help long term but in the short term cutting back on carbs will make a huge difference. Exercise will also help, walking is fine, but if you're a little bit heavy, running is for people who want arthritic knees when they reach 50, trust me, that why my knees are knackered. You're certainly not being naive. Drugs are not to be seen as a panacea if they can be avoided, you're in a position to turn thing around.

What is your total cholesterol by the way, no harm in taking statins if you can tolerate them and you think lowering cholesterol is a good thing. My GP has just told me that she wants to see my cholesterol below 4, a number that has dropped from 7 in 1997 when I first was diagnosed diabetic. On the other hand the British Heart Foundation did some research that found cardio vascular events increase when cholesterol goes over 5.4 and also increases below 5.4, so maybe 5.4 is the optimum.

Be prepared for GP and medical advice in general to differ from the low carb advice that you'll get on diabetes forums. I think I know who I trust.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Many on here are managing their T2 with diet and exercise and no medication. Your fasting BGs don't seem too bad (what is your HbA1c?) and your current BMI is what mine was at diagnosis.

It won't be easy and it's probably a lifetime commitment (as it is for all of us who go this route) but it can be done. You are the one who has to be focussed and disciplined about it, but you know what the alternatives are if you don't.

Plenty of encouragement and support on here.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are newly diagnosed type 2, this may well be possible. Your pancreas still produces insulin, but you have most likely become very resistant to it. Many type 2s at diagnosis are producing way more insulin than a non diabetic, but they have become so resistant to it that it can't be used effectively. The aim of some medication for type 2s is to lower your resistance to insulin, so your pancreas stops getting so overworked, and this preserves it's ability to produce insulin. The good news is that there are other ways to lower insulin resistance, and this will have a positive knock on effect with weight, hunger and general well being. Regular exercise is a fantastic way of reducing insulin resistance. Also, a growing number of diabetics are also following low carbohydrate diets, although not everyone supports this. Less carbs means less insulin requirement. Less insulin in the system means you will become less resistant to it over time. This does not mean you should starve yourself, but instead get your energy from protein and fat (eggs, meat, cheese etc). Plenty of vegetables are also always a good idea.
Hope that helps, feel free to post if you need any clarification.

StormyDog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks graj0
The statins is for cholesterol not BP my BP was over 140/90 two months ago now it's in the normal (120/80) range just.
When diagnosed my fasting bloods were over 8 but then I was on Cicosporin which is known to raise blood glucose. My new testes ( this week ) should be better.
As of last checkup ( in June ) my stats were :
HbA1c 59%
Blood Pressure 122/80
Total Cholesterol 5.1
HDL 1.09
LDL 3.3
Triglycerides 1.5
eGFR 52

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I should also say it is perfectly possible for type 2s that are not newly diagnosed. However, as a type 1 I am probably not qualified to give too much insight into being a long term type 2.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My signature shows my blood scores since diagnosis, without the aid of medication. Like you, I sort of knew if I accepted any medication I wouldn't try as hard.

As an aside, my cholesterol levels also dropped, post diagnosis.

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Its 100% possible to never need insulin or any diabetic medication for type 2 people, but its not common - My mom has been a T2 all my life (she's now 80) and is 100% diet controlled and always has been, she's never been on any drugs for it or taken insulin in her entire life (not even when in hospital). So yes its possible, its not easy but its possible. My mom is a vegetarian and has been since 2006 and she has 173 grams of carbs almost every day for the past 5 years of her life (because its the right amount for her). Her last a1c was in the normal non diabetic range and her daily numbers all are in and around mmol 5.2.

StormyDog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update from today's results
From May to August
BMI From 32.6 to 30.4
HbA1c From 59% to 39%
HDL From 1.09 to 1.4
LDL From 3.3 to 3.2
Trig From 1.5 to 1.4

Very pleased.
Couldn't stop doctor from prescribing statins but I have come to terms with that fact that i need to take them till I can get my bmi and/or cholesterol down.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Very well done. Prescribing statins needs your approval as well - it's still your choice.

StormyDog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done. Prescribing statins needs your approval as well - it's still your choice.
I know it's my choice.
I've got two months supply so I'll give them two months but I want to carry on with my lifestyle changes.
I was a bit disappointed with the cholesterol but I knew this was the hardest attribute to change.