Does insulin cause weightgain in Type2 ?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I must admit I'm totally disheartened with both the lack of and conflicting information I have received. In 2006 I was rushed to the Diabetic Clinic at Derriford Hospital in Plymouth by my GP because I had very high BG readings. After many tests I was told I had diabetes but they were not sure if it was type1 or 2 this has never been officially clarified even though I was in my 50's. I
I was put straight on to Humalog mix 25 and told I would be on it until my BG readings stabilised . However I'm still using the insulin and now on Metformin 500 two taken twice a day. Despite originally being told my diabetes was well under control. I find that I was being given conflicting advice by my diabetic nurse and my GP...At one time being told by my GP to join your site which I did . However when I informed my GP that the advice he was giving me conflicted with advice on the Diabetes UK website I was sharply told he knew best. However I have now moved to West Sussex and have a new GP and diabetic nurse and once again am getting conflicting information. I have put on over 4 stone In weight and all they can do is refer me to Weight Watchers who seen to know nothing about diabetes and just recommend foods that are low In fat but much too high in sugars. I have since left Weight Watchers as I put on even more weight.I have cut down on my insulin and carbohydrates. My BG readings are now around 7-8 but I now have peripheral neuropathy although the pulses in my feet are very good according to both my diabetic nurse and chiropodist... I'm at my wits end trying to get help without being lectured. I guess I'm now on insulin for life...but how do I lose this excess weight I have a balanced diet and do all I'm told to do but I still cannot get my weight down. I cannot go to a gym although my surgery has a deal with a local one, because a few years ago I had a slight problem with my heart valve and no gym will take me on because of it, even though my doctor says I don't have a heart problem he won't actcually commit himself by signing the form. I have been medically retired from two jobs and get little or no social life .I'm getting more and more depressed looking at my overweight body which used to be so slim and toned...where can I get any help? No-one seems to be listening to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Disheartened

I've come off rapid insulin this week because HBA1C improved to levels hospital said it would allow me to have an operation, by the time its sorted it should have come lower than 64 (was 164).

I was putting weight on despite low carbing as i mentioned in previous post. I completely sympathise.

I moaned at my DN and asked if i could try foxigia (not sure of spelling), it wasn't licensed with my Insuman insulin, but Victoza was. I haven't had too many side effects and have lost 7 lbs or so in just over 2 weeks and am still low carbing. Also because rapid insulin has stopped i'm on 40mg gliclizade as a replacement for short acting and have reduced long acting even further to 11u a night. Am wondering if i might be able to come off it permanently at some stage.

I wasn't a major low carb person but based on insulin varied between 60 - 100g carbs a day which is fine for me. I tried slimming world for 2 weeks and thought it was a waste of money as it didn't fit in with my insulin regime the DN agreed with me as well.

If you've been on insulin for 3 months or longer, you might be due a blood test. Your bg are about the same as mine now, and i'm a walking chemist, even though it was 9 this morning when i woke up sweating, the liver must have had a good liver dump is all i can say.

You don't need to join a gym, but they do do the exercise on prescription thing in most CCG areas and usually have specific cardiology related community run exercise programmes for patients with heart problems. They used to do in Manchester area.

So might be worth asking, also you can get free weight watchers sessions if your CCG has signed up to this, if its free even i'd try it. Even if it gets you out of the house.

Also you may qualify for leisure key, which is discounted leisure access, so a nice gentle swim would be ideal, and they have same sex sessions as well so you wouldn't be judged.

I've even got my mum attempting low carb at 69 she doesn't get it at all though, but i wrote her a shopping list out which she near as dam it followed she got the wrong mosser roth dark chocolate though but for someone who ate 8 rounds of bread a day its a start. I've told her she can have 2 rounds of the brownest bread she can find a day. so mabye you can look at what you're eating. My mum has depression and lots of othorpaedic, hiatus hernia and mystery sweats going on and was feeling fed up and i think she's borderline type 2 as well - hence trying this way of eating and she does walk her dog as well, some walks are shorter than others though.

You'll get lots of advice from people in the same shoes on this forum its a fascinating read.

good luck

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Disheartened

I've come off rapid insulin this week because HBA1C improved to levels hospital said it would allow me to have an operation, by the time its sorted it should have come lower than 64 (was 164).

I was putting weight on despite low carbing as i mentioned in previous post. I completely sympathise.

I moaned at my DN and asked if i could try foxigia (not sure of spelling), it wasn't licensed with my Insuman insulin, but Victoza was. I haven't had too many side effects and have lost 7 lbs or so in just over 2 weeks and am still low carbing. Also because rapid insulin has stopped i'm on 40mg gliclizade as a replacement for short acting and have reduced long acting even further to 11u a night. Am wondering if i might be able to come off it permanently at some stage.

I wasn't a major low carb person but based on insulin varied between 60 - 100g carbs a day which is fine for me. I tried slimming world for 2 weeks and thought it was a waste of money as it didn't fit in with my insulin regime the DN agreed with me as well.

If you've been on insulin for 3 months or longer, you might be due a blood test. Your bg are about the same as mine now, and i'm a walking chemist, even though it was 9 this morning when i woke up sweating, the liver must have had a good liver dump is all i can say.

You don't need to join a gym, but they do do the exercise on prescription thing in most CCG areas and usually have specific cardiology related community run exercise programmes for patients with heart problems. They used to do in Manchester area.

So might be worth asking, also you can get free weight watchers sessions if your CCG has signed up to this, if its free even i'd try it. Even if it gets you out of the house.

Also you may qualify for leisure key, which is discounted leisure access, so a nice gentle swim would be ideal, and they have same sex sessions as well so you wouldn't be judged.

I've even got my mum attempting low carb at 69 she doesn't get it at all though, but i wrote her a shopping list out which she near as dam it followed she got the wrong mosser roth dark chocolate though but for someone who ate 8 rounds of bread a day its a start. I've told her she can have 2 rounds of the brownest bread she can find a day. so mabye you can look at what you're eating. My mum has depression and lots of othorpaedic, hiatus hernia and mystery sweats going on and was feeling fed up and i think she's borderline type 2 as well - hence trying this way of eating and she does walk her dog as well, some walks are shorter than others though.

You'll get lots of advice from people in the same shoes on this forum its a fascinating read.

good luck
Thanks for your reply it seems a lot ofHi Bev
Disheartened

good luck[/QUOTE

Hi Bev

Thanks for your reply...I found it very informative. I did try Weight Watchers but as I said they had no idea how to relate to people with diabetes. I will take on board your comments re victoza and find out if it is comparable. It seems both humalog being insulin is condusive to weight gain although metformin is condusive to weight loss and being on 2000 mg a day would have thought one would balance out the other but it seems this was not the case. I was promised by my DN that she would try me on other insulin but when asked later she seems to have forgotten she mentioned it. The gym I spoke about was as I say a deal our GP had for patients who needed to lose weight but apparently not diabetics with a heart tremor... The leisure programming you mentioned was available in Cornwall but not in Sussex In fact it seems unless you are forceful when asking the GP they forget to issue the application forms.Every time I go to my HBA1c review I just get told I need to lose weight but little help is offered even though it may be available...I don't think my surgery is particularly tuned on to the needs of their diabetic patients . Perhaps a change of surgery is called for but how do you find these things out before you change ? I'm sorry I must sound like a perpetual moaner but I do try to do the right things but feel I get no backup from the professionals.Surely by now they should be thinking if changing my meds.as the ones I'm on clearly are not working although overall I don't think my BG is too high if I go too much lower I end up having a hypo...

Thanks for your well wishes I am beginning to think I expect too much of the professionals.

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
Hope something works out for you, Disheartened. I've been battling weight-gain since pre-adolesence (decades ago), and now that I am deemed "diabetic", I know I must keep the weight down. I don't use insulin, but, I've noticed that diabetes is common in people who are prone to weight-gain, in general. It's been a life-long struggle for me. I am healthy enough to work-out in a gym and do activities like racquetball and long-distance walking. I understand that choosing a sport/activity that you enjoy and staying with it might alone be enough to control weight. Lots of luck to you.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was put on Insulin a slow releasing one which i injected first thing in a morning......straight away i noticed i was having to eat more and at times was not hungry even but to stave off the hypos I had to eat.... I asked to try some new tabs and had a hypo whilst at the doctors ...they then said ok we try the new tabs .... its hard to get rid of the weight and even harder to keep it off but was gaining a few pounds with Insulin intake...so am well aware of the weight gain and how hard it is to keep the weight off

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope something works out for you, Disheartened. I've been battling weight-gain since pre-adolesence (decades ago), and now that I am deemed "diabetic", I know I must keep the weight down. I don't use insulin, but, I've noticed that diabetes is common in people who are prone to weight-gain, in general. It's been a life-long struggle for me. I am healthy enough to work-out in a gym and do activities like racquetball and long-distance walking. I understand that choosing a sport/activity that you enjoy and staying with it might alone be enough to control weight. Lots of luck to you.
I was put on Insulin a slow releasing one which i injected first thing in a morning......straight away i noticed i was having to eat more and at times was not hungry even but to stave off the hypos I had to eat.... I asked to try some new tabs and had a hypo whilst at the doctors ...they then said ok we try the new tabs .... its hard to get rid of the weight and even harder to keep it off but was gaining a few pounds with Insulin intake...so am well aware of the weight gain and how hard it is to keep the weight off
Many thanks for your replies. For many years I was a dancer and so very active. Unfortunately I developed a back problem and had to cut right back on my exercise . I weighed 11.5 stone and was 6'3" tall .so not overweight there is no history of diabetes in my family so its a mystery...Injecting is not really a problem its something you get used to. I just wish I could lose this weight as I know I could cut down my insulin .It seems its a catch 22 situation...anyhow reading these replies has given me a bit of encouragement. So I thank you. I

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
To cut weight, you cut carb, which also cuts some insulin or you hypo
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
Yes I found this, I have managed to cut my night time dose down by eating LCHF, if I was really strict I'm sure could reduce further but I still like a few treats!!
I wish I had found this forum or got this advice upon diagnosis (abt 9 yrs ago)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well I traveled to the next time to check their Sainsbry store out for low carb products, the bread I read about on here I asked the baker about he said he never heard of it laughs anyways ended up buying some soya bread which i must say tastes very nice....so looks like all Low card stuff has to be bought from the internet so links appreciated peeps <3

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well I traveled to the next time to check their Sainsbry store out for low carb products, the bread I read about on here I asked the baker about he said he never heard of it laughs anyways ended up buying some soya bread which i must say tastes very nice....so looks like all Low card stuff has to be bought from the internet so links appreciated peeps <3

Look at the link a few posts above, the diet doctor one, it's a good place to start, have a look on there at the basics etc on what to eat, you don't have to buy LC products per se, just cut out the processed ****.

Waitrose sells the LivLife bread, it's quite expensive, very tasty, but very small slices,I'm going to try and make my own

http://www.thelondoner.me/2014/03/mums-low-carb-bread.html

Someone posted this before, not tried yet but will do in 2 weeks upon my return from holiday :)

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
Hi I was put on humulin 1 kwikpen 2 weeks ago.
I am on between 8/10 units in a morning only as well as metformin sr,glizlizide 80 mg x 2 in morning , 80mg x 2 in evening also 100mg sitagliptin. Shortly going to stop my glizlizide then on 32/33 units, my problem is same as yours I get very Hungary.
It is only since put on insulin.
Does it happen to many people.

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I'm always hungry, just have to try and train yourself to eat 3 meals but eat the right foods, I hope you get sorted/stabilise yourself