Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Well hello, I do hope my message finds you all well.

I've been low carbing hard since March and have gone from 15st 6 lbs to 13st 2 lbs. The down side is I've been hungry and not had a potato during that period. So, one day about a month ago in a moment of weakness I drove into the drive-thru at McDonald's and ordered a cheeseburger and a raspberry muffin and it was the second best thing I've done with my clothes on. As my mood has been low recently I took to the same choice every day since but had nothing else to eat just that and wanted to share with you that I've continued to lose weight at the same pace. I've also found some text on the Web that seems to support McDonald's menu, in part, does help weight loss, of course salads are a given.

I also read that a McDonald's cheeseburger is only 18 points on the glycemic index, that was a bit of a stunner indeed, it also says a cheeseburger is just 30 carbs, this just keeps getting better. So I wondered if anyone knows if these figures apply to the British McDonald's menu? I hope they do..

Apologies for any typos, the Wi Fi ain't so good in McDonald's. .

Kind regards,

Q..

Reactions: 2 people

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi welcome to the forum!:) I'm not too sure if you have watched a documentary called SUPERSIZE ME and took note of the guy's blood chemistry results. You might want to check it out :)

Reactions: 9 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not a fan of McDonald's food but each to their own, not sure about the gi rating but 30g of carbs sounds about right. TBH I could think of more healthy ways to eat and lose weight.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hmmm....are you saying that the McDonalds meal is all you eat every day?
One meal every 24 hours?

If so, you must be on the equivalent of the Newcastle Diet and with such a reduction in calories the mix of sugars, carbs, protein and fat doesn't really matter as you are eating 'calorie restricted' rather than 'low carb'.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Food is not all about carbs and GI . What about nutrition? Does this meal give you all the nutrition you need?

Reactions: 6 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, I'll bite..!? Lol personally, I don't touch these places on principle.

So I went to the McD site & clicked the "Find out more including information on protein and carbohydrates" in a muffin..?

& got this...
image.jpg

I'm not having a go or judging the OP.. Just wondering if this is just dark humour...? :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is a cheeseburger and a muffin the only thing you are eating all day?

Only surely you must be as hungry on that, as you were before?

Re maccies food being acceptible, hell yeah, as an occasional treat. Particularly when we were taking the wee beastie to his Wed night puppy classes, and had no time to prep a saintly low carb pack up that could last from 8am till 7pm, out of the fridge... I mean, when needs must!

But daily? I would be feeling awful by the third day. Nauseous by the 5th...
But if it is working for you... Who am I to nay say?
I think, like Adelle, I would be curious what it does to your triglyceride levels.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Hi welcome to the forum!:) I'm not too sure if you have watched a documentary called SUPERSIZE ME and took note of the guy's blood chemistry results. You might want to check it out :)

Hi there and thanks for the kind reply. Where can I find details about the ' SUPERSIZE ME, I don't follow your line of thoughts, a bit lost on what you mean. Hope you are well,

Kind regards,

Q..

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Hmmm....are you saying that the McDonalds meal is all you eat every day?
One meal every 24 hours?

If so, you must be on the equivalent of the Newcastle Diet and with such a reduction in calories the mix of sugars, carbs, protein and fat doesn't really matter as you are eating 'calorie restricted' rather than 'low carb'.

Hiya, what's a Newcastle diet?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Supersize me, is a film, google it.

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
UK Cheeseburger = 295 calories 16 grams protein 12 grams fat of which 6 grams are sat 31 grams of carbs of which 7 are from sugar and only 2 grams of fiber with a whopping 1.5 grams of sodium.

Canadian Cheeseburger = 300 calories, 33 grams of carbs, 12 grams of fat, 750 mg of sodium and 15 grams protein.

American Cheeseburger = 290 Calories, 15g Protein 11gFat (18%), 33g Carbs(11%) and 680 mg Sodium (28%)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your "diet" sounds like a fast track to multiple micronutrient deficiencies to me. The only thing you won't be deficient in is probably sodium.

Reactions: 10 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi there and thanks for the kind reply. Where can I find details about the ' SUPERSIZE ME, I don't follow your line of thoughts, a bit lost on what you mean. Hope you are well,

Kind regards,

Q..
Just type it into you tube.
Please don't take this the wrong way but you say you were hungry low carbing. What were you eating? Have you tried LCHF? I am never hungry and neither is hubbie . Have you read
http://www.dietdoctor.com
On this diet, if you're still hungry, you eat more fat.
Better for you than McDonalds and more variety. Good luck!

Scardoc

To save you the time watching supersize me:
Man eats nothing but macd's for a month, supersizing when asked, man gets very sick, physically and mentally, man gets told to stop by his doctor, man takes a very long time to recover.
I think man was called Morgan Spurlock(?).

Good luck.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To save you the time watching supersize me:
Man eats nothing but macd's for a month, supersizing when asked, man gets very sick, physically and mentally, man gets told to stop by his doctor, man takes a very long time to recover.
I think man was called Morgan Spurlock(?).

Good luck.

They also do blood tests before and during the whole thing, and his doctor is terrified ;)

Reactions: 3 people