Help with diet

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I was diagnosed in 2007 as T2 diabetes, after intial shock as I am 5' 5" female averaging 8.5 - 9 stone, active and never into 'junk food'. But apparently this is not enough for db. Read much about carb counting even though db nurse pooh poohs it, so not being overweight decided to lower portions. But this year in particular I have got what is termed 'burn out'. Life been exceptionally challenging I have kind of eaten many things I should not. Not huge amounts but way too much! This must stop! This week I not felt well with allergies or virus thing - on top of various family issues (now being resolved by discussion)- led to, I guess comfort or lazy eating. Yesterday I ate a muffin and a small Cadbury choc bar! I never eat diary choc, but had a 'don't give a **** and I am hungry' moment! Idiot immediately repentant it tasted way too sweet. With that, stress and virus I feel absolutely terrible today legs throbbing and burning and feeling blurr!

Please can someone point to good diabetic diet (not weight losing)? I need guidance back to living with db - again - I'm so off track :-(

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Stupid thing is I started craving things I never use to like pre diabetes and find way too way too sweet when eating! I really need advice from someone who understands :)

hornplayer

Do you know what your blood sugar level is? - if your sugar level is high, weird though it may seem, you crave sweet things. (- There is an explanation for this but it's a bit long winded.) once you get into the cycle of craving sweet stuff it's really hard to break. Sugar is addictive and in our case, we really do crave what is bad for us I'm afraid.
I was / am in a similar position. My control for the first 6 months was really good. Then, due to a screw up at the doctors, what should have been a quick course of antibiotics resulted in me being unable to eat, drink properly or get any tablets down for about a fortnight and I was so run down after that that I caught pretty much every bug going for the next 6 months. My control went out the window. - My sugar levels were really high due to repeated illness and i sacrificed rigid control in favour of what ever I could actually swallow! - It was the busiest time of year for me too. I was pulling fifteen and sixteen hour days. Then I had to deal with the cravings and feeling like **** again as my levels settled. Now, nearly 9 months on, I'm pretty much back in control, but I needed to start again from scratch to do it, and I'm still dealing with morning highs. I've got an Hba1c at the end of September. My first since it all kicked off. I don't imagine for a minute that it's going to be good.
Wipe the slate clean and start again. Keep your carbs and portion size down and keep testing. Good luck!!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hornplayer

PS

There are some good low carb high protein shake type things on the market. They might help with sweet stuff cravings and the protein fix should kinda sneak in there and keep you satisfied for longer. Make sure you read the back of the pack. :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Many on here find LCHF the best way to control BG levels. The main thing is to cut carbs (despite what your and most everybody's DN says) because for a diabetic they are effectively sugar. You can add calories back in with fat and protein to suit to give you the right calorie balance for your weight target (up or down) in combination with whatever exercise you might do.

See www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Reactions: 2 people

HpprKM

Dislikes
Thanks for suggestions - looking up suggestions.

A

AnnieC

Many on here find LCHF the best way to control BG levels. The main thing is to cut carbs (despite what your and most everybody's DN says) because for a diabetic they are effectively sugar. You can add calories back in with fat and protein to suit to give you the right calorie balance for your weight target (up or down) in combination with whatever exercise you might do.

See www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
I have never really found it that easy to control my weight if I go to low carb my weight drops to much. I have googled this problem but so little is said about it, there is plenty on loosing weight but no one really knows how to stop loosing weight that you don't need to if you low carb. I eat stuff like nuts ,cream, full fat yogurt, use coconut oil and olive oil a lot but I don't want to increase my protein as I think I have enough of that but it is still a struggle to keep the weight on

Reactions: 2 people