Fruit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a bit confused as to wether or not fruit is good or bad for me. I've been on the desmond course and fruit was highly reccomended (this was some years ago now). I eat a lot more fruit than veg and am currently trying my best to aim for a low carb diet, doing ok so far, but I'm filling up on fruit - banana a day, nectarines, figs, different berries and oranges are my main ones, I'm concerned about the amount of sugar I am geting through fruit.

I'm in need of losing a bit of weight too. My last HbA1C was 6.5% on 1000mg metformin/day and 100mg of sitagliptin (this drug has worked wonders for me).

Any advice appreciated.

Gary.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Stick to the berries only.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only way you can find out is test, eat a standard portion then test after 2 hours, generally tho avoid tropical fruits(citrus, pineapple, etc) and stick to the northern european ones

Reactions: 3 people

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One apple is OK because it has fibre in it. The more fibre the better it is.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Gary. If you use myfitnesspal you can put in food items and it will give you the calorie and carb content. You can set your daily targets and enter your food daily. :)

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the replies so far. It's really difficult when I have the mind set of not treating myself like a science experiment, you know by testing all the time and counting carbs etc... but it looks like I need to start and do this if I am to find out exactly what is good for me... this is where it starts to get me down in the dumps and I throw it all away and go back to eating rubbish. Mind you that monster mac looks very tasty, I would love to eat one of those (and I could definatley eat one) but everytime I put something in my mouth the diabetes alarms inside my head ring out asking me 'are you sure? are you really sure?? is it good for you? what the hell one won't matter, start again tommorrow!'

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Gary. I must admit I was a bit overawed with what I could eat but Im realy enjoying it now. I do eat berries once each day with greek yoghurt. I have found that blackberries are the lowest carb and this is the perfect season for them so I may stock up with them in te freezer. :)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Thanks for the replies so far. It's really difficult when I have the mind set of not treating myself like a science experiment, you know by testing all the time and counting carbs etc...

Interesting - I had the opposite mind set. I found it fascinating to experiment on what different food did to my blood sugar. Then again, I had peripheral neuropathy in my feet, so I was really motivated to prevent further nerve damage and other complications. I eventually went low carb/high fat. It's a much easier diet than high carb/low fat and it improved my cholesterol numbers as well as my blood sugar levels.

Reactions: 2 people