Rant, high BGs and a general moan

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Think I could have posted this thread in numerous categories!! We had a gardner in yesterday to start to clear our 'jungle-like' garden and he lit the rubbish at around 4pm. (This isn't about the wrongs and rights of a garden fire BTW). Anyway I was already a bit stressed out at the smoke billowing around towards next door, but we had been over to warn them this was happening. Anyway, Mr next door came round moaning and I did politely point out to him that this is the first ever bit of disruptive work my husband and I had done around the house in almost 20 years and yet every weekend we tolerate his drilling and mini digger work (he's a builder) and past fires he's had without a single grumble. Anyway the upshot of all of this was my blood sugars shot up to 17 and 0.8 ketones. I couldn't eat a thing for tea because I was so upset/stressed and felling sick. It just goes to show how rubbish I am at dealing with any confrontation and how helpless we are in terms of blood sugars to try and control these stressful events. I went to bed with that horrible sicky feeling in my stomach and, as I write this today, I'm hoping for a calm uneventful day.

Reactions: 3 people

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't look after their pets
Think I could have posted this thread in numerous categories!! We had a gardner in yesterday to start to clear our 'jungle-like' garden and he lit the rubbish at around 4pm. (This isn't about the wrongs and rights of a garden fire BTW). Anyway I was already a bit stressed out at the smoke billowing around towards next door, but we had been over to warn them this was happening. Anyway, Mr next door came round moaning and I did politely point out to him that this is the first ever bit of disruptive work my husband and I had done around the house in almost 20 years and yet every weekend we tolerate his drilling and mini digger work (he's a builder) and past fires he's had without a single grumble. Anyway the upshot of all of this was my blood sugars shot up to 17 and 0.8 ketones. I couldn't eat a thing for tea because I was so upset/stressed and felling sick. It just goes to show how rubbish I am at dealing with any confrontation and how helpless we are in terms of blood sugars to try and control these stressful events. I went to bed with that horrible sicky feeling in my stomach and, as I write this today, I'm hoping for a calm uneventful day.
I'm exactly the same Riri, when I get stressed my blood sugars shoot through the roof - even if I only think of something stressful Its just the same. I now try to avoid anything that I know will stress me out even though that's easier said than done! Hope you have a better day today:mad::D

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for the good carma posts guys. Even whilst I'm sat here drinking my tea I'm still thinking about the guy having a go. My husband has the right idea and just tells me to forget about him/it but I can't help stressing - it's a pain. I need some 'dontgiveadamn' pills :)

Reactions: 2 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is interesting,wonder how your blood sugars would have went if you were the opposite of polite.
I am just glad the smoke went his way.
Your neighbour is a bully.:grumpy:
You cant help being nice to your neighbours, "thats you and dont change":D
Invite me round for a cup of tea, I will ensure your neighbour will never upset you under any circumstances.
Just think how many members BG levels jumped up reading your thread regarding your thoughtless neighbour.

Hope all goes well with your neighbour and he has sees through a little smoke and starts being a better person.:)

Reactions: 4 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
:):)Their house is up for sale - all of you would be fab neighbours !!! We should have a T1 diabetes village and we'd all be considerate of other and their blood sugars!!! Lol

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Comparisons - you put up silently with his anti social antics, he complains in an unpleasant way about the smoke despite you having the decency to warn them beforehand and the fire was the first in 20 years.

He ranted and made you feel shaken and consequently unwell.

You were conciliatory .

That makes him unreasonable, a bully, and contender for the Prize **** Award.

What goes around comes around and karma is a ***** when it bites. It particularly likes biting arses ;)

Signy

Reactions: 7 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Things have not improved today. My husband took a day off and we drove to Lidl's. On exiting the car park in our Mazda MX my husband didn't see the triangular raised pavement thingamajig and drove straight over it !! Not much clearance on an MX so after a big crushing noise 3 helpful men (embarrassing) came to our rescue and had to push us back off. We think that the exhaust is scratched and dented a bit but not sure about anything else and we drove home fine. A funny light that has been on it for a while has also disappeared !! Staying in for the rest of today. Lol

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Things have not improved today. My husband took a day off and we drove to Lidl's. On exiting the car park in our Mazda MX my husband didn't see the triangular raised pavement thingamajig and drove straight over it !! Not much clearance on an MX so after a big crushing noise 3 helpful men (embarrassing) came to our rescue and had to push us back off. We think that the exhaust is scratched and dented a bit but not sure about anything else and we drove home fine. A funny light that has been on it for a while has also disappeared !! Staying in for the rest of today. Lol
Was there a reason for the raised pavement "thingamajig" or was it a slight error by your husband. ( it may be the responsibility of some other party )
Sorry for all your bad luck lately.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Definately 'husband' error. Think his mind was on going home to set up our (his!) new 47ins all singing all dancing TV and stand and he just nonchantly started to drive up on to the middle curb!! Heck of a crunch!

< sharon>

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
extreme hot weather
Definately 'husband' error. Think his mind was on going home to set up our (his!) new 47ins all singing all dancing TV and stand and he just nonchantly started to drive up on to the middle curb!! Heck of a crunch!
That made me smile :)

C

chris lowe

Think my reply to the neighbour would have ended in the word off!! But then I do get a bit (trying to think of a polite word for it but failing) "gobby" when my sugars get high

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think he realises he over-reacted as he's been overly 'friendly' since then shouting hello to us at every opportunity. No point in making life harder than it already is, so we've just forgotten his rant now. (Well husband has - I still have a tinsy winsy bit of upset bubbling underneath but not enough to do my sugars any harm!!).

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think he realises he over-reacted as he's been overly 'friendly' since then shouting hello to us at every opportunity. No point in making life harder than it already is, so we've just forgotten his rant now. (Well husband has - I still have a tinsy winsy bit of upset bubbling underneath but not enough to do my sugars any harm!!).

Result, he probably knew he was being foolish to complain given what you and your husband has had to put up with over the years.

I fell out with my neighbour over a tree that they have in their garden and grows into mine, we still don't speak and can't see we ever will until the tree is cut down :rolleyes:

josielou

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My husband has one of the new meters where you put in the amount of carbs you eat, whether it was before or after a meal, with the option of adding stress to work out the units to bolus. Kev's has been worked out to an extra 10% of units to compensate for stress. It does work, as in his last job, it kept his levels pretty well adding on only a couple of units to compensate. As for your neighbour, just think of karma!