High morning bg results

Tubzi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone :)

The first test i do in the morning is always a little high, usually around 12-14 but it has been as high as 16 a few times. During the day they are usually pretty good and stable. Any ideas on how to bring my morning test down?

I take novorapid and carb count and then lantus each night.

Thanks!

debbiiee

It could be dawn phenomenon. Your basal is not sufficient i think. Do basal testing throughout night & check when your BG starts rising... If its stable till 3 a.m. & then starts rising its dawn phenomenon. If overnight there is a steady rise, it could be due to the high protein content of your supper or gluconeogenesis not suppressed by insufficient basal.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
May well be you need to increase your lantus, try increasing it by 1 unit tonight and do some bg testing 2 hourly, if i's still raised increase it again by another unit.

Tubzi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If i increase my lantus will it not make my levels during the day drop as well?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If i increase my lantus will it not make my levels during the day drop as well?

No not necessarily, try it and see how you get on, if that doesn't work talk with your DSN about split-dosing your lantus or switch to another insulin if it becomes problematic, there's a new basal insulin available called Tresiba that might be better suited for you.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
miss lunch and do an afternoon basal test, you may be using bolus to cover lack of basal?

TonyR

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone :)

The first test i do in the morning is always a little high, usually around 12-14 but it has been as high as 16 a few times. During the day they are usually pretty good and stable. Any ideas on how to bring my morning test down?

I take novorapid and carb count and then lantus each night.

Thanks!

Probably an obvious answer but have you considered going on a pump?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
miss lunch and do an afternoon basal test, you may be using bolus to cover lack of basal?

Highly unlikely if bg is stable during the day, the OP would have to be taking correction doses pre-prandial if that was the case.

Tubzi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'll try doing a basal test tonight then and go from there. I have considered a pump but i want better control first

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'll try doing a basal test tonight then and go from there. I have considered a pump but i want better control first

Just make sure to have a low-fat meal for your dinner tonight as a high-fat meal can effect bg levels several hours later, the pump suggestion is a good one, we have had many members lately switching from MDI to insulin pumps with great success.

Tubzi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Might be a stupid question but how would taking a split dose of lantus help?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Highly unlikely if bg is stable during the day, the OP would have to be taking correction doses pre-prandial if that was the case.
this is why I linked you in the Turkish guys post, you know what you are talking about.:)
the reason why I suggested an afternoon bolus was because she was scared she would hypo in day if she increased basal..
it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone but I'm lost if a tea time basal is not enough and high over night, but right dose during the day. your suggestion of split dose might be it

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Might be a stupid question but how would taking a split dose of lantus help?

For some lantus doesn't cover a 24 hour period, split-dosing gives a greater coverage with some overlap, I take lantus once daily and find it does work for 24 hours but with other people it doesn't.

Tubzi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive upped my dose by a couple of units and it seems to be doing the trick so far. Thanks for all your help :)