Another NEW non finger prick BG testing meter....

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Read all about it and it seems you have to pinch the skin to get a reading. I must say I don't fully understand how it works but it looks less hassle than the finger pricking. I've just emailed them about timing, cost etc.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I've read it, but my engineers brain can't compute how the pinch can do it! Will be following the progression though for sure

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We'd still have to remember to do it though, and we wouldn't get a complete 24-hour picture of what's going on every 20 minutes.

Better than finger-sticking, but not as good as a CGM.

Says available late 2016.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I can understand how that would work, using a pinch - assuming that some kind of light is involved?

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recall seeing some research about using high frequency RF to measure blood glucose. I think this is meant to work on some kind of RF interferometry or some such thing. Nice to see it finally being developed and I suspect it will certainly be a lot more accurate than some of the light based systems since those could give readings all over the place due to changes in skin colour etc.

Will wait and see with this one I think, still nice to see something new :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It will be more accurate as it measures capillary levels as opposed to interstitial fluid that the Abbott monitor measures.

Not too sure how safe the Radio-waves will be over the long-term, then I suppose we are exposed to these everyday form mobile phones and such like, hope (like the Flash Monitor) it does becomes available on the NHS.

Reactions: 4 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It will be more accurate as it measures capillary levels as opposed to interstitial fluid that the Abbott monitor measures.

Not too sure how safe the Radio-waves will be over the long-term, then I suppose we are exposed to these everyday form mobile phones and such like, hope (like the Flash Monitor) it does becomes available on the NHS.

... I thought exactly the same thing about the radio waves noblehead... I guess it would be good to know how those frequencies compare to other day-to-day stuff...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't see this being any more harmful than having a mobile phone in your pocket or a Bluetooth headset stuck to your ear.
Ignoring of course those that swear blind that mobile phones cause cancer.

debbiiee

It appears very much similar to the pulsoximeter clipped in fingers... There infrared rays passing through the finger measures pulse! Here radiofrequency measures capillary glucose!!! Technology makes control easier & management better. Really excited about the day the fingerpricks come to an end:rolleyes:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can understand how that would work, using a pinch - assuming that some kind of light is involved?
I think it uses IR, there have been a few other attempts at it, including implanted sensors similar to CGM

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Maybe if all T1's emailed these people/companies they'd get an idea of how desperate we are not having to do constant finger pricking. We're all looking for a panacea but this would be an enormous step forward too.