Do I still have Diabetes 2?

wildswimmer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just after I a had full stroke (10 days in hospital) my BP was 150 systolic, cholesterol 10 and blood glucose 10. A month after the stroke my BP reduced to 120 systolic with cholesterol 4. However I was diagnosed type 2. My HbA1c was 69. I'm tested for HbA1c every six months and the last test reported 46. Diet normal (with the occasional naughty sugary treat), no medication whatsoever - not even berberine, which I used to take. Current BP now 110/60 and cholesterol below 4 so I don't appear to have metabolic syndrome. Currently blood glucose first thing now around 6.6-7. A consultant advised me that I don't have type2 any more, my system is still recovering from the severe shock caused by the stroke, with HbA1c still falling. I used to have two symptoms of high blood glucose: itchy skin and the feeling my feet are wearing wooly socks. Both long gone - in fact my feet are if anything even more sensitive. My annual retinopathy exam shows clear with no changes.

Comments?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @wildswimmer
From the info you have provided you look to have made really good progress.

If you look at the forum guide to HbA1c the level you report would suggest that your result is within the range for controlled diabetes, rather than not having diabetes at all.

You have had a tough time and to lower your HbA1c from 69 to 48 is excellent progress. It is not an easy thing to do when you have other health difficulties too, so well done.

Interested to know (aka as very nosey) do you do much open water swimming?

wildswimmer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wrote a reply but it wasn't posted - stupid modern technology :-(

Yes, look at my avatar. That was taken in March '10, in the Trent at Shugborough. Been swimming outdoors for 40 years, and trained to become a bare-skin winter swimmer around '05. The acclimatisation training results in physiological adaptation, I'm cold-hardened all the way down to 0C. I was diagnosed with heart failure back in '01 and basically given 5 years - I'm still here! My longevity has been put down to regular immersion in literally freezing water. My (now stable) heart failure is down to cardiomyopathy, cause unknown. Likewise, no cause found after my stroke. Recent ultrasound scans revealed no atherosclerosis in cardiac- nor carotid arteries.

I've uploaded the short article I wrote just before my stroke - one consequence of the stroke was aphasia, my speech is badly impaired but my English grammar, spelling and vocabulary were also trashed.

Last edited by a moderator:

lukkymik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The opposites of above!!!!
I totally agree with Pipp ... unfortunately and no matter what anyone says you appear to now have managed to bring your diabetes under control but I doubt that you will ever be acurately described as cured of Diabetes. It doesn't happen!!! Keep up the good work and you can have a full and happy life. Sorry but if you consider yourself cured you'll get a nasty shock down the line!!! I'm not trying to frighten you but speaking from experience of seeing a friend not doing what he was told. Chin up uts livable with!!!

wildswimmer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I totally agree with Pipp ... unfortunately and no matter what anyone says you appear to now have managed to bring your diabetes under control but I doubt that you will ever be acurately described as cured of Diabetes. It doesn't happen!!! Keep up the good work and you can have a full and happy life. Sorry but if you consider yourself cured you'll get a nasty shock down the line!!! I'm not trying to frighten you but speaking from experience of seeing a friend not doing what he was told. Chin up uts livable with!!!

I'm doing what I've been told to do: eat well, exercise (I both swim and ride a bike) and have HbAc1 and cholesterol checked very six months. When winter comes I'll also be doing what I've been advised to do - swim in freezing water.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @wildswimer
I take the view if you have control without medication for diabetes and you believe you are cured, That is good enough reason to be cured.
I have no medication for diabetes and have good control yet don't believe I am cured, simply because I on a controlled diet.
Who are we to argue with you if we have not swam in freezing water, because it will sure as hell cure my diabetes instantly.
I take my hat of to you.:):)

Reactions: 2 people

wildswimmer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @wildswimer
I take the view if you have control without medication for diabetes and you believe you are cured, That is good enough reason to be cured.
I have no medication for diabetes and have good control yet don't believe I am cured, simply because I on a controlled diet.
Who are we to argue with you if we have not swam in freezing water, because it will sure as hell cure my diabetes instantly.
I take my hat of to you.:):)

I'm not on a controlled diet - I'm on the "C" diet: if I see it and like it, I eat it ;) Only difference is that I've cut out most (not all) junk food, and I usually cook from fresh. I also eat a good 500g of tomatoes a day, and have a pint of cider as well (rich in apple phytochemicals) . However I do weigh myself every morning so watching my weight. I check my blood glucose once or a twice a week and so far, remains 6.5-7. Never had any hypos (wouldn't recognise one if it hit me).

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wrote a reply but it wasn't posted - stupid modern technology :-(

Yes, look at my avatar. That was taken in March '10, in the Trent at Shugborough. Been swimming outdoors for 40 years, and trained to become a bare-skin winter swimmer around '05. The acclimatisation training results in physiological adaptation, I'm cold-hardened all the way down to 0C. I was diagnosed with heart failure back in '01 and basically given 5 years - I'm still here! My longevity has been put down to regular immersion in literally freezing water. My (now stable) heart failure is down to cardiomyopathy, cause unknown. Likewise, no cause found after my stroke. Recent ultrasound scans revealed no atherosclerosis in cardiac- nor carotid arteries.

I've uploaded the short article I wrote just before my stroke - one consequence of the stroke was aphasia, my speech is badly impaired but my English grammar, spelling and vocabulary were also trashed.

Thank you.
Sorry for late reply. Unfortunately I have not been able to open the link. I am envying the winter swimming in open water. I used to swim in rivers and the sea, but it had been a very long time since I was able to do that.

Although I mentioned in an earlier post that your HbA1c result appeared to suggest diabetes control, rather than 'cure', I do not subscribe to the theory that T2 can never be cured. I choose not to categorise anyone who has managed to reduce their BG to non-diabetic levels. Too much debate, and hurt feelings on forum over that. I think it has to be good enough that anyone can achieve and sustain, long term, non-diabetic BG levels. Especially if the person does not become complacent about control. So, your achievement is to be applauded, andI hope you remain as well as possible.