Metformin

BRS84

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ale, Golf, Crowded Places
Hey

Hi there, I am a 30 year old male with type 2 Diabetes and high blood pressure, I have had it for a year and a half and have this week been put on to Metformin for my Diabetes and Lisinopril for my blood pressure.

Does anyone have any experiences of these meds or any side effect stories I could prep myself for?

Also be good to chat with some fellow users for advice and pleasantries!

Cheers

Matt

C

catherinecherub

Hi @BRS84, Welcome to the forum.

Most people experience some side effects from Metformin and find it upsets their stomach and bowels. If you find you cannot tolerate it then ask for the Slow Release version as this seems to lessen the effects.
Lisinopril may give you a dry cough.
Try them for a few weeks and see how they affect you as everyone has different experiences of these medications.

Reactions: 2 people
A

AnnieC

Hey

Hi there, I am a 30 year old male with type 2 Diabetes and high blood pressure, I have had it for a year and a half and have this week been put on to Metformin for my Diabetes and Lisinopril for my blood pressure.

Does anyone have any experiences of these meds or any side effect stories I could prep myself for?

Cheers

Matt
My husband takes both of those with no problems at all..he was put straight onto the slow release Metformin though so did not have the diarrhoea problem that some people have with the standard Metformin

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Hey

Cheers

Matt
Hi Mike,

I am also,on both those , Lisinopril since a mini stroke 6/7 year ago and Metformin since beginning of June This year.

Pleased to say didn't have any side effects from either, that I am aware of anyway.

Personally since being diagnosed Mid May with Type2, and changing diet and with only a little extra exercise I've have lost
Some 3stone, down from 15st to just over 12st and not only has this helped with my BG levels also my BP levels
Have come down a lot to the extent at my next service with the DR am hoping to come of the Lisinopril and eventually
The Metformin.

You don't mentioned if you are trying to control you BG via diet? just wondered your method for control?

Leeroy1303

Im on both aswel as as bendroflumethazide, amlodipine and four injections daily no probs with lisinopril but did have stomach probs wen first on metformin but like catherinecherub says i changed to slow release metformin no probs now

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi, at 30, and 18 months into the thing. try to get it reverse first.

$ugar daddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi matt
As has been said by others on this forum' the old metformin will' can' and does give you a few prob's in the tummy dept.
still great opportunity to find out who your real friends are :) :)
I too am T2 and have BP but the bonus is with any weight lose the BP should respond to this. I'm on amalodipine so can't give any input into your meds regarding side effects. I was taken off my metformin as I now seem to have a good control of my BS now with diet and exercise alone. Hope all goes well for you' and your in the right place amongst friends.
One thing I've learnt is knowledge is power' and the family here have a wealth of knowledge. Bless them and bless you matt. :)

wolfy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not many dislikes.
Hey

Cheers

Matt
Hi matt, I was put on metformin but got took off it as i could not leave the house while on it. I played havoc with my tummy. It is generally known as the miracle drug as its used to treat other medical conditions. So long as you can tolerate
it, it is good. As for the other drug you mention i have no experience with that one. If you google it, you can find out online of known side affects. I am new here tonight but been diabetic type 1 for three years.

mia160505

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi matt , im type 2 , on metformin and now have high blood pressure , my glucose levels have come down , from 29.9 to 8.00, i do have tummy problems on metformin with wind and rushing to the loo :D , but hoping it will sort its self out

cookiesT2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey

Cheers

Matt

cookiesT2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
watch out for diarrhoea with the metformin. I am having terrible trouble with it. Sometimes it's uncontrollable.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on 3x500 mg of metformin for many years, but I eat 3 pieces of dark chocolate 70% coco and never had any problems

cookiesT2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on 3x500 mg of metformin for many years, but I eat 3 pieces of dark chocolate 70% coco and never had any problems
I've just had my second bout since coming to bed. right now it looks like I'm going to have to tell my grandson I can't go watch him play football in the morning. I've had about 3 hours out of 24 that I haven't been rushing to the loo.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
@BRS84 - Maybe you'll be lucky like I am and metformin will not give you any problems. You should start with 500 mg a day for a week, then increase by 500 once a week until you are at your prescribed dose, assuming it's more than 500 mg/day. :jimlad:

C

chris lowe

Been on metformin for about 4 years and I still get the occasional dose of the runs. I found the nausea was worse, so it helps if you take the tablets half way through a meal to sort of 'sandwich' them between food.

K

Kat100

Hello and welcome from me ....
Yes I have just changed to the slow release version ....fingers crossed ....the change will work
Some people do suffer horrid side effects ...good luck with medication ....best wishes Kat

K

Kat100

I've just had my second bout since coming to bed. right now it looks like I'm going to have to tell my grandson I can't go watch him play football in the morning. I've had about 3 hours out of 24 that I haven't been rushing to the loo.
Cookie things are not getting any better for you , will gp change your meds ..do you think ..take care ..Kat

BRS84

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ale, Golf, Crowded Places
Hi All

Thanks for all the reply's, its been a useful read!

How do you know if you are on the slow release metformin?
I am increasing my dosage weekly, currently on 2x 500mg tablets on my way to 4x 500mg, and my stomach is already starting to get a bit dodgy, nothing new to me though, had issues resulting in removal of Gal Bladder years ago :)

Nice to virtually meet you all!

Matt