Banksy

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
needs-credit-www.banksy.co.uk-1-762x428.jpg
If this was painted on your wall it could be worth approx; £400,000.00p.Clacton-on-Sea Council painted over it just because they assumed it was offensive following a complaint.
Wonder if the person who owns that wall can sue the council.

Reactions: 5 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Jobsworth springs to mind. And we are all getting hyper sensitive small minded etc etc.

Reactions: 2 people
C

chris lowe

Not only is Banksy now a "racist" but Amazon are putting warnings on Tom & Jerry cartoons to say that there are racial stereo types included (poor old Mammy Two Shoes). They say that this is to protect children and let them know that these are no longer acceptable in this day and age. Never mind 1984 by George Orwell, he should have called it 2014!

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not only is Banksy now a "racist" but Amazon are putting warnings on Tom & Jerry cartoons to say that there are racial stereo types included (poor old Mammy Two Shoes). They say that this is to protect children and let them know that these are no longer acceptable in this day and age. Never mind 1984 by George Orwell, he should have called it 2014!
would I get into trouble if I said Old Mammy was on a Low Cat High Fat Diet
images

Reactions: 7 people

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
View attachment 7267
If this was painted on your wall it could be worth approx; £400,000.00p.Clacton-on-Sea Council painted over it just because they assumed it was offensive following a complaint.

No doubt the Council painters wore High Viz jackets, izzzi. Siiiigh. :rolleyes:

They could try, just as long as they wear their High Viz jackets. Siiiigh. :arghh:

:)
weewillie
fdf_zps17a79e35.gif

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
It's all Tom cat's fault that I smoke cigars!!!! :woot: "Thomas-Thomas I'm gonna sue your ass!!"

Of course this isn't true but Sheesh...The worlds gone crazy indeed!! :grumpy:

Reactions: 6 people
C

chris lowe

It's all Tom cat's fault that I smoke cigars!!!! :woot: "Thomas-Thomas I'm gonna sue your ass!!"

Of course this isn't true but Sheesh...The worlds gone crazy indeed!! :grumpy:

Not only that, some school books that covered Kingdom Isambard Brunel had his cigar photo shopped out so as to discourage the sensitive little darlings from smoking, so it didn't work for you! :facepalm:(couldn't find a little emoticon with a cigar!)

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a criminal act - it was a lovely piece of art and the sentiment made me laugh - and think...

This daft over-sensivity to so called racism has actually been going on for years as I discovered when I wanted to make a golliwog doll for one of my young nephews/nieces - now grown up with children of their own - that the patterns were no longer sold because they were considered racist. My golly had been a favourite toy, and it certainly never coloured (sorry!) my perception of people with a different skin shade - in fact I'd never related the two.

Robbity

Reactions: 7 people
C

chris lowe

So I suppose Twizzle is out of the question then @Robbity. There was a white golly called Chalky who lost his colour after falling into the pond. Dear me, it's wonder we've not been arrested by the Thought Police, white golly's called Chalky. I think we were def more innocent in those days

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not only that, some school books that covered Kingdom Isambard Brunel had his cigar photo shopped out so as to discourage the sensitive little darlings from smoking, so it didn't work for you! :facepalm:(couldn't find a little emoticon with a cigar!)
For goodness sake, I suppose the next thing will be Winston Churchill's cigar has been removed.
images
images

Reactions: 4 people

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.

fugly54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
dishonesty and bulls***, the way the country is being run, not being able to get out and excersize more or take my dog for nice long walks.
Political correctness, anti-racism and health & safety have become TOTALLY STUPID!! What ever happened to freedom of speech?? In my humble opinion political correctness is possibly making people sympathetic to the "anti foreigners" brigade by constantly being told what they can and cannot say for fear of it offending "people". We all know who these "people" are but nobody ever says it.
I am 60 years of age and grew up with Robertson's jam (and the golliwog). Love Thy Neighbour on tv, the Black & White Minstrels on the Palladium etc. and thought nothing of it - it certainly didn't make me want to make fun of someone with a different colour skin to mine. In fact, between the ages of 9 and 12 my mother was in a relationship with a Mexican Indian who would have become my stepfather had he not been killed. He taught me many valuable life skills, was very kind and loving and I had tremendous respect for him. Although he had a different colour skin to me, I saw the MAN, not his skin colour, even when he disciplined me. I've never heard of ANY other country changing the wording of their school books, removing the word "White" from THEIR language etc. in case it happens to offend the white people living in their country - have any of you guys??
I was responsible Health & Safety in a previous job, and I have to say that some of the rulings were just totally ludicrous, impractical, expensive to comply with and just PLAIN MADNESS. One example that springs to mind is (potentially) having to pay for a scaffold tower so that an electrician could replace a light bulb INDOORS. Had I adhered to this it would have cost my employer an extortionate amount of money for a 2 minute job every time a light bulb needed replacing - STUPIDITY.
This all seems like complete disrespect for all of our brave servicemen and women who fought in 2 wars so that we could live in a free world. We now live in, at best, a "nanny state" and at worst a borderline dictatorship. I think it's disgraceful, oppressive and things need to change - give us back our freedom of speech, give parents the ability to discipline (not beat) their children the way THEY see fit, without the fear of being threatened with assault charges (in some instances by their own child) if they happen to threaten or smack their child's leg as a last desperate measure.
Before someone gets their big guns out for me I will say this:
I believe that if a parent resorts to smacking their child ONCE they will (or should) not do it again and either have not exhausted all other alternatives or may need outside help with their parenting skills - but this is not easily sourced or widely available as our politicians are too busy keeping us PC!

I am NOT a racist and I am TOTALLY opposed to racial words and actions by those who ARE. and those who incite racial hatred, racial attacks etc.

I am not reckless when it comes to H & S issues and have seen, first hand, the consequences of flouting the H & S laws.

Why can't we have blackboards, black eyes and blacklist someone? How are those things (and a lot of others) racist? Am I naive. unintelligent or ignorant to believe that it's not the words or phrases themselves that are racist, but the INTENT to offend individuals or groups by using those same words and phrases in an offensive, derogatory or other manner?

I do not live in a cave, do not beat my wife and children and believe that, regardless or gender, colour, ethnicity or social status (hate that phrase too) that we are all equal and should ALL be treated equally and given the same respect, consideration and opportunities.

Apologies for the rant but I just had to comment on previous posts, The painting was very well done, not on council property but THEY decided (in their infinite wisdom) that it MAY have offended SOMEONE! God (or whatever deity you worship) help us all.

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@fugly54 - I was going to rant about backboards too but you beat me to it! It's beyond ludicrous, especially since it appears OK to have white boards!

I hope I'm not going to be hauled up before the law either for calling my bl*ck & tan doggie a big bl*ck b***er as one of his pet names! :wideyed:

Robbity

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
View attachment 7267
Oops! So, too thick to get it then! :banghead:

C

chris lowe

Thing is, we have to watch what we say so we don't offend the ethnic minorities or whatever, but why can't we complain about whitewash, whiteboards, etc. Better not get too into this going to cook Mr Chris "dark pudding" with his bacon & eggs tomorrow.

fugly54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
dishonesty and bulls***, the way the country is being run, not being able to get out and excersize more or take my dog for nice long walks.
Thing is, we have to watch what we say so we don't offend the ethnic minorities or whatever, but why can't we complain about whitewash, whiteboards, etc. Better not get too into this going to cook Mr Chris "dark pudding" with his bacon & eggs tomorrow.

I don't know about you chris lowe, but you mention upsetting the ethnic minority groups and, maybe it IS just me, but I feel like my upbringing, education and beliefs count for nothing when I no longer have the freedom to use my own language in my own country. I'm all for a multicultural society, but we (the people and politicians) don't try to control the words and phrases of other nations living here, which makes it all a little one-sided.
If I chose to live in another country I would embrace their customs, learn their language and respect their culture. I certainly would NOT try to re-write their language because I found certain words and phrases offensive or racist. Surely, the whole ethos of being a multicultural society is that it is made up of a wide cross-section of people, who each have their own religion, language and culture living side by side - isn't it?
I do, however, believe that certain groups use our language to racially abuse others, and that the USE of our language is what is wrong and not the language itself. We use our language to abuse each other, but that still doesn't make the LANGUAGE wrong but simply the use of it. Punish the people who use the language to racially abuse others NOT change the language. Where do we draw the line? That's all I'm saying. If our language is SO bad, and SO offensive and racist, why is it the most widely spoken language across the globe?