Worried, Again!

Nikki1111

I come onto this site every so often, usually when I'm feeling anxious about my type 2 diabetes. I have been to the doctors this week to have the HbA1c blood test, the result was 57 which the doctor said was good. I am worried as my last blood test was 52, I am really struggling to control what I eat, I comfort eat. I know what I shouldn't eat and I NEED to exercise and lose weight but I really am struggling. I suffer from anxiety and health anxiety, sometimes I'm just very scared and confused with this condition. Other times I'm angry and want to swear, scream and shout! My anger and temper is terrible and I feel so horrible when I've had an outburst. Does anyone have any advice or can help? Please.

Hi,
I am not exactly sure when you were diagnosed with type 2 DM, but your glucose levels seems to be on a good range. First & most important thing, try to understand that stress hormones like cortisol 'increases blood glucose levels'. You are doing really good & continue with it, getting anxious, angry or annoyed will not help you in anyway, rather might have an opposite effect. Try to slow down your mind & involve in something which makes you feel happier like music, walking, dance, watching funny videos, gardening, etc whenever you feel that you lose temper. Simple, but effective in bringing back your cool! :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Nikki, I'm sorry you're having trouble with this, but well done for coming back on here to ask.

Can I ask a couple of questions - what do you typically eat, and what is preventing you from exercising? You say you know what you shouldn't be eating.

I can't really address the anxiety issue other than to suggest that if you were not struggling with the condition then you might be feeling better, and making more progress would then make it better still. Hopefully we can help you get back onto that positive reinforcement path.

Are you on meds by the way?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I come onto this site every so often, usually when I'm feeling anxious about my type 2 diabetes. I have been to the doctors this week to have the HbA1c blood test, the result was 57 which the doctor said was good. I am worried as my last blood test was 52, I am really struggling to control what I eat, I comfort eat. I know what I shouldn't eat and I NEED to exercise and lose weight but I really am struggling. I suffer from anxiety and health anxiety, sometimes I'm just very scared and confused with this condition. Other times I'm angry and want to swear, scream and shout! My anger and temper is terrible and I feel so horrible when I've had an outburst. Does anyone have any advice or can help? Please.
Nikki, 57 seems a bit high to me and it's obviously not good that it has increased. I used to comfort eat as well, even though I did manage to reduce my carb intake, I was still eating too much. The day I got my blood glucose meter and saw what the stuff I was eating was doing to my blood sugar I had no trouble reducing the carbs. There were days when my anxiety went through the roof when I ruminated on the diabetes and the lack of help I got from my doctor. Over time as I got my blood glucose under control with a low carb diet the anxiety lessened and the need to eat so much declined.

As for exercising, you don't need to do anything drastic like run a marathon. Just a half hour walk a day will do. Maybe walk to the local shops for your errands. good luck. :clown:

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My levels were/are the same as yours. And when they went up the nurse wanted me on 2 Metformin a day. I can manage 1 but not 2. So not sure why the GP should say they were ok. I reduced my carbs and my levels still went up.

Nikki1111

Hi,
I am not exactly sure when you were diagnosed with type 2 DM, but your glucose levels seems to be on a good range. First & most important thing, try to understand that stress hormones like cortisol 'increases blood glucose levels'. You are doing really good & continue with it, getting anxious, angry or annoyed will not help you in anyway, rather might have an opposite effect. Try to slow down your mind & involve in something which makes you feel happier like music, walking, dance, watching funny videos, gardening, etc whenever you feel that you lose temper. Simple, but effective in bringing back your cool! :)
Thank you for reply, appreciate that x

Nikki1111

Hi Nikki, I'm sorry you're having trouble with this, but well done for coming back on here to ask.

Can I ask a couple of questions - what do you typically eat, and what is preventing you from exercising? You say you know what you shouldn't be eating.

I can't really address the anxiety issue other than to suggest that if you were not struggling with the condition then you might be feeling better, and making more progress would then make it better still. Hopefully we can help you get back onto that positive reinforcement path.

Are you on meds by the way?
Thank you for your reply. I am on Metformin 3 times a day and simvastatin, one at night.

Nikki1111

Nikki, 57 seems a bit high to me and it's obviously not good that it has increased. I used to comfort eat as well, even though I did manage to reduce my carb intake, I was still eating too much. The day I got my blood glucose meter and saw what the stuff I was eating was doing to my blood sugar I had no trouble reducing the carbs. There were days when my anxiety went through the roof when I ruminated on the diabetes and the lack of help I got from my doctor. Over time as I got my blood glucose under control with a low carb diet the anxiety lessened and the need to eat so much declined.

As for exercising, you don't need to do anything drastic like run a marathon. Just a half hour walk a day will do. Maybe walk to the local shops for your errands. good luck. :clown:
Oh god, is it! I really need to sort myself out!!!!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Oh god, is it! I really need to sort myself out!!!!
Straight from http://www.patient.co.uk/health/type-2-diabetes: "Treatment aims to lower your HbA1c to below a target level. Ideally, it is best to maintain HbA1c to less than 48 mmol/mol (6.5%). However, this may not always be possible to achieve and your target level of HbA1c should be agreed between you and your doctor. If your HbA1c is above your target level then you may be advised to step up treatment (for example, to increase a dose of medication) to keep your blood glucose level down."

Have they :nurse: discussed with you what your target should be?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ask to be referred to a hospital diabetic clinic, the emotional outburst stuff sounds a bit like depression, which seems to go with diabetes anyway.or it could be from high sugar as well. the emotional eating wont help that part

reading @Loobles thread may help to know you aren't alone in this http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/overeating-tried-cbt.63132/page-3#post-645405

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm this will get rid of the carb component of the over eating because carbs don’t give up easy.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf it’s a long page and a video

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

Hi niki
A lot of people with 57 % would be receiving more medical advise or maybe medication ...
You don't mean 5.7 do you ....sorry just checking because 57 is well over the NHS 53 % guidelines ???although this may vary or may of even changed ....there was some talk of it changing ....suggest another visit to see your GP if 57% does seem a bit higher than normal ???but please don't panic ???a visit to your health practice can assist you .....best wishes ...Kat

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi niki
A lot of people with 57 % would be receiving more medical advise or maybe medication ...
You don't mean 5.7 do you ....sorry just checking because 57 is well over the NHS 53 % guidelines ???although this may vary or may of even changed ....there was some talk of it changing ....suggest another visit to see your GP if 57% does seem a bit higher than normal ???but please don't panic ???a visit to your health practice can assist you .....best wishes ...Kat
HbA1c of 57 mmol/mol, methinks. Not 57%. :dead:

K

Kat100

HbA1c of 57 mmol/mol, methinks. Not 57%. :dead:
Silly me ...I always work in old money .....the one with the .... Dot dot dot in it ...but you know what I mean ....I hope someone does ...UK ....nice guidelines ...aiming for below 53%

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I agree with the sentiments that 57mmol/mol is a little too high for my comfort zone. You need to aim low but not be disappointed when you come in high just more conviction for next time.

BTW 57 mmol/mol is equivalent to 7.4% (DCCT) which is like having an average from your meter of 9.1 mmol/l. To average 9.1 just think how big your peaks and highs must be! Hopefully seeing the numbers plain and simple will help to provide you with the drive to improve.

So how do we help? Do you have an improvement plan? Do you want help formulating one?

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Just off to bed so will comment further on this tomorrow...do read the thread that @jack412 linked to and you'll see you're not alone. If you'd like to message me please feel free to do so any time x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Nikki,

I realise you've had a bit of bad news on this thread, and I'm sorry, but it would be good to remember that mood swings and comfort eating and depression all go hand in hand with diabetes. Please don't go beating yourself up for this!

You've had some fantastic advice above - and managing to lower your blood glucose levels would make you feel better in some or all of those ways.

Using a blood glucose meter, and seeing actual evidence of my levels is the best motivator I can imagine.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing?

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I agree that I wouldn't call 57 good. However, ask your doctor why they're not encouraging you to get below 48? Or really, into the non-diabetic range. My argument to my GP (when she said my prediabetic levels were fine) was that if she couldn't guarantee that no damage was being done with those levels, then it was too high. I've known people start with complications when only just on the diabetic zone, and those complications don't just start overnight, which tells me they can start with prediabetic blood levels. Once I said that, I was referred straight to the hospital diabetic clinic...mainly to get rid of me I think :bag:

Your feelings about food sound very similar to my own and I can certainly sense your frustration. You've been given some good advice here and I don't think I can really go beyond that; however, if you'd like to talk to me at any time, you're welcome to do so.

Nikki1111

Thank you Kat. I will check the level again when I see the nurse next week x
Hi niki

Beausrus

I feel much the same. I've been on insulin for 3 months and my blood results are still the same at 80mmol, 9.5% and average of 15.3. I have been on humulin M3 and on 40 units in the morning and 35 units in evening, gradually built up to this dose and seeing consultant on Monday. Just anxious on where I go from here.....