Spaced out - is this Insulin?

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just put yesterday's spacey feeling down to 'one of those days' but today it is worse.

Is this the Lantus? or could it be the Amytriptaline? I would have thought such a low dose of Amy shouldn't really leave you spacey but this is getting to be difficult.

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

I don't know anything about the possible side effects of lantus. Someone else may be able to answer that.
How much Amitriptyline are you taking and when do you take it?

C

catherinecherub

I don't know anything about the possible side effects of lantus. Someone else may be able to answer that.
How much Amitriptyline are you taking and when do you take it?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can't say without any certainty but it's more than likely the Amytriptaline, it can make you feel spaced out, either way have a chat with your gp and see what they say, they may change your meds to see if it helps matters.

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I was on lantus for 15yrs recently moved to an insulin pump ( no lantus ) and within 2 days what I can only describe as a hangover type haze disappeared and I am not the only 1 to mention this I never really noticed it but everything seemed a lot clearer and felt like I could function again

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2 x 10mg Amytriptaline every evening, taking this due to nerve problems in my feet, and to be honest it wasn't until I started typing this that I have realised this has worked well already, things have improved!! No longer can I constantly feel a jug of hot water being poured over my right foot. Oooh it's gone, how lovely.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Maybe just needed something to take your mind of things Sally:)

julieemma

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Done first glucose test 6.9 had 2 small brown toast test 2 hour later 8.6 is that normal please

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Done first glucose test 6.9 had 2 small brown toast test 2 hour later 8.6 is that normal please
Yes. From this point on you need to check before and 2 hours after most meals to determine which foods cause your blood sugar to spike. This will vary for everyone, but typically anything with Carbs in, starchy or sugary (and bread, potatoes, pasta, etc are examples of starchy) will cause a spike.

lizbet9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably the Amytriptaline, I was given it to block nerve pain in my back and I only took either 1 or 2 tablets but they wiped me out felt spaced out - doc said they would help me sleep!

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
:)
I just put yesterday's spacey feeling down to 'one of those days' but today it is worse.

Is this the Lantus? or could it be the Amytriptaline? I would have thought such a low dose of Amy shouldn't really leave you spacey but this is getting to be difficult.

Hi Sallybear, I'm on lantus (40 units daily) and haven't had that spacey feeling as yet. The only medication I that affected me badly was one of those 'statin' drugs for cholesterol. It gave me short term memory 'impairment' (as my doc would say). The last straw was when I forgot my wifes birthday (unhappy wife = unhappy life) so I discontinued the meds....Hope you get over the spacey feeling