Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A friend's cousin is Type 2 and has a meter and strips on prescription. He does as his nurse said. He tests his morning fasting occasionally, and sometimes before his tea. Because these readings are good he sails on in the misguided belief he is at those levels all day, then wonders why his HbA1c is increasing along with his medication. He never tests meals, so never sees the spikes. No-one has ever told him otherwise.
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I know my mom when she was told that she was a T2 she was told she needed to test at random a min or twice a day - meter n strips are not provided regardless of your type of diabetes, T1 or T2 its all on your own head to get the diabetic supplies that you need for your own life (unless you are on the government dole then there is another system in place to get you the medical stuff you need regardless of diabetic type). Which sucks since for some of us we don't earn enough each month to be able to afford our diabetic supplies and living at the same time!

But I digress, my mom was told to test twice a day at random and that is what she did for 20 off years of her life then about 10 years ago was told she could cut down to testing to couple times a week then finally was told she would test once a month as she felt she needed to do so - her a1c for the past 10 years was 4.5 with an average glucose reading of 5.2

Hi if you live in the UK and take medication for type 2, then you get these prescriptions free. Type 1 is automatically entitled to free medication, and both types, with an NHS Medical Exemption Certificate ( actually a plastic card) regardless of income. Because I am on a low income I am also entitled to a Tax Medical Exemption Certicate which helps with travel costs to hospitals, dental costs and other medical needs.

Best wishes RRB

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Hi if you live in the UK and take medication for type 2, then you get these prescriptions free. Type 1 is automatically entitled to free medication, and both types, with an NHS Medical Exemption Certificate ( actually a plastic card) regardless of income. Because I am on a low income I am also entitled to a Tax Medical Exemption Certicate which helps with travel costs to hospitals, dental costs and other medical needs.

Best wishes RRB
However If you are like me,with auxiliary problems (kidneys)(doc says otherwise I would be on metformin) who worked their b*llocks off to get off Insulin & glic, I am on D&E and hence I have lost my cert. & therfore have to pay for meds.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
However If you are like me,with auxiliary problems (kidneys)(doc says otherwise I would be on metformin) who worked their b*llocks off to get off Insulin & glic, I am on D&E and hence I have lost my cert. & therfore have to pay for meds.

So your now not on meds for diabetes then anymore.

I only replied to the other post regarding that diabetics on medication can and do get free prescriptions in the UK.
Well done for getting off Insulin and glic.

Best wishes

RRB

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes I am where you are Fergus, but luckily I have another 4 years to run on my exemption

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How do we interpret this?

Dan Poulter, Health Minister says in this article,
People are taking greater control of their own health as they monitor and better self-manage conditions like diabetes with the help of blood pressure cuffs, pulse monitors and glucose monitors.

Does he think the NHS are supplying them or that they are available to buy? We know that BP cuffs and pulse monitors are self funded so he seems to be implying that glucose monitors are too.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/1...-on-the-brink-of-a-healthcare-revolution.html

Ha! Its just more Government spin if you ask me. On the one hand we are told that we are being empowered to control our health, and on the other that we arent intelligent enough to interpret blood sugar readings!

Reactions: 2 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've also noticed that a few people on this site have bought their own meters. Its worth having a hunt around as many companies will give them free with a complimentary supply of lancets and test strips.

C

catherinecherub

Yes, we can get free meters but we cannot afford the exorbitant price for the strips. That is why the Codefree is popular.

Reactions: 7 people

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Precisely! Another cost on the NHS as a result of poor management in Primary Care

And a massive cost to patients, whose active life can be ended by the resultant complications.

Reactions: 4 people

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I'm not saying anyone should be denied strips. I was just saying prescribing them to everyone regardless is pointless as lots aren't interested. Also, unless they are accompanied by training so you understand the numbers and how they are affected it's a waste. Those diabetics that read and post on forums are a rare breed and are certainly not typical of the diabetic population. I'm well aware that most members here would benefit from strips.
I have reduced my BG to the point that 4 GPs have pronounced me cured, because I tested hundreds of times a week, without any training. I adjusted my diet according to the results. My HbA1c dropped from 67 to 38 in 4 months. It is now 35.
It is not the same for everyone but I avoided having to go on medication by overkill on testing. It is expensive but fortunately I was diagnosed 5 months before I retired.

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have reduced my BG to the point that 4 GPs have pronounced me cured, because I tested hundreds of times a week, without any training. I adjusted my diet according to the results. My HbA1c dropped from 67 to 38 in 4 months. It is now 35.
It is not the same for everyone but I avoided having to go on medication by overkill on testing. It is expensive but fortunately I was diagnosed 5 months before I retired.

Yes but you were interested enough in your health to join a forum. I think Danny's point was that the very many who aren't a member of a forum probably wouldn't bother using the meter properly. Some people even on forums simply do not want to give up most of their carbs.

I was denied extra testing of my blood thickness (INR tests) at my surgery. I needed it because I was due to go into hospital for a heart procedure 2 weeks later and my blood had unexpectedly become too thick. I was denied this. The cost would have been 4 quick appointments with a nurse and 4 x £2 for the test strips. I was desperate to have the operation and bought myself a machine to test my own blood (£300 direct from Roche). It was bought on credit card and I asked family to give me money for birthday and Christmas to pay for it. Without the operation I couldn't help myself with my diabetes because I couldn't exercise without getting breathless. The surgeon realised what I had done and was pleased because he wanted to try out a new procedure on me, if the operation had been delayed this may not have been possible.

It isn't only diabetics who need NHS help. I was only asking for a few minutes' appointment time and £8. As someone said in an earlier post the meters should be given to those who push for one because they are the people who really want one and will use them. It is pointless spending money on giving them to everyone when some would be left in a drawer unused.

I'm glad you have avoided medication by testing loads :)

Reactions: 6 people

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I cant remember the dates but I think it was 2 or 3 months after diagnosis I joined the forum. I had reduced my BG on my own. But I felt like I was dying came to the forum and found out about the miracle health food that is fat.

Reactions: 6 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
[QUOTEcatherinecherub, post: 668051, member: 11441"]Yes, we can get free meters but we cannot afford the exorbitant price for the strips. That is why the Codefree is popular.[/QUOTE]

I didnt know about code free til I came on here, though when I ran out of the complimentary strips etc my GP refused to order them for me but he was still quite happy to increase my meds!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTEcatherinecherub, post: 668051, member: 11441"]Yes, we can get free meters but we cannot afford the exorbitant price for the strips. That is why the Codefree is popular.

I didnt know about code free til I came on here, though when I ran out of the complimentary strips etc my GP refused to order them for me but he was still quite happy to increase my meds![/QUOTE]
Yes that is ridiculous :rolleyes:

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
two, post: 668125, member: 125618"]I have reduced my BG to the point that 4 GPs have pronounced me cured, because I tested hundreds of times a week, without any training. I adjusted my diet according to the results. My HbA1c dropped from 67 to 38 in 4 months. It is now 35.

In doing so you have probaby saved you GP a good amount of cash that would have been spent on medication. Well done!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Which is wrong.
I think it's wrong that people have to pay for prescriptions if they have several items which they have to pay for every month as it can cost an absolute fortune. They should not go by a person's income but by the whole household income.

Reactions: 5 people