Feet problems

airsair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have only been diagnised type 2 a few weeks and i have looked up info on diabetis and complications but can't decide to book an appointment or not.
We did a lot of walking over the weekend and my comfy boots were uncomfortable on the sole. Like a stone was in it or something. There was no stone but a tiny nail head which made it
sore. Its now gone blue, no cuts. Its the cuts / splits that need to be checked out? Am i right?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Always best to get your feet checked if the injury is causing you concern,

As you now have diabetes you are entitled to an annual check-up on your feet, do take advantage of it as it's important to keep an eye on your feet with diabetes.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
please get it looked at

airsair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok thanks having my first eye screening later today will ask if i can book one whilst i am there.

airsair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a newly diagnosed diabetic should i have a podiatrist look at my feet . I tried to get an appointment at my docs and was told the diabetic doctor who i have never seen and the diabetic nurse are in holiday. So to make an appointment this week if i still have concerns.
I have just read the care plan leaflet that she gave me and it mentions podiatrist checks. But the receptionist say they don't have one at the practice. Advice please.

airsair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do all of you have your feet checked every year?

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I get really worried about my feet, I see a podiatrist every 12 weeks privately. Intitial consult was £35, each following appt are £30 a time. I think it was/is money well spent. I am more confident having Yvonne look at my feet than our practise nurse. All I need to do then is paint the toe nails and watch out for any sore parts.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, @airsair
Your feet have so much work to do, It is important that you choose the very best fitting footwear.
A visit to the podiatrist will sort out any ongoing problems.
Not to sure what the nail or something did to your foot as the blue spot may be a result of them scratching your foot without showing a bleed, you may need a tetanus jab if you have not had one in the last 5 years I think.
( you can easily get that checked out )
Always give your feet the best treatment they deserve.:)

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - feet are checked every year on the NHS.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm glad you started this thread because I was going to create my own on the topic of feet.

I most definitely suggest you get your feet checked, and to check them yourself every day. I was diagnosed in April, and have been treated for a stubborn foot infection for nearly 5 months now. I thought it was just a bit of dry skin in the beginning, but it never got better despite creams and OTC treatments. It got deep and turned ugly and I had to go to the podiatrist every week for 2 months, then every 2 weeks for 2 months. Now I am down to once every 3 weeks. It cleared up and came back again, and now is cleared once again, after being prescribed a boot (I forget what it is called, sorry). It is INCREDIBLY important for diabetics to take care of their feet and to be vigilant in getting them checked professionally.

The first time I saw my DN, I asked for a foot check. He told me the doctor would do that. When I saw the doctor, he literally told me he didn't have time. I insisted, as he is very hard to get an appointment with, and began removing my shoes and socks. Since he was forced to look, he did so, and sent me to a podiatrist. If I had waited another 3 weeks to get another appointment, who knows what condition my foot would be in now. I do a lot of walking, so I want to keep all of my feet! :)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I have only been diagnised type 2 a few weeks and i have looked up info on diabetis and complications but can't decide to book an appointment or not.
We did a lot of walking over the weekend and my comfy boots were uncomfortable on the sole. Like a stone was in it or something. There was no stone but a tiny nail head which made it
sore. Its now gone blue, no cuts. Its the cuts / splits that need to be checked out? Am i right?

That sounds exactly how the nerve damage in my feet started. It is imperative that you get your blood glucose down as soon as possible. I didn't get my blood glucose under control for many months as the doctor failed to inform me I had diabetes for more than 6 months and then didn't give me any guidance on how to change my diet. So, the nerve damage in my feet progressed quite a bit. :( Unless you have some injury to the skin (cut or blister), a foot examination is only going to tell you the state of the nerve damage. They will tell you there's no way to treat the nerve damage or stop it from progressing. But there is: get your blood glucose under control!