New Flash Glucose Monitoring from Abbott - Bloodless Testing

Kerrin_geee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!

I've only just heard about this today and wondered if anyone has received there's yet, and if so how they're getting on!?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!

I've only just heard about this today and wondered if anyone has received there's yet, and if so how they're getting on!?
I will have had mine on for 14 days tomorrow - really like it

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
has this been authirised by DVLA does anyone know?
Maybe a dumb question, but where is it written that the DVLA has to authorise a specific device. It's a blood glucose testing system. I would be unsurprised to discover that DVLA would still accept a urine dipstick test. Is there any legislation or regulation anywhere that says "only test with permitted devices or you can't drive"?

And are we talking about normal driving, or PSV / PCV driving?

Reactions: 2 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe a dumb question, but where is it written that the DVLA has to authorise a specific device. It's a blood glucose testing system. I would be unsurprised to discover that DVLA would still accept a urine dipstick test. Is there any legislation or regulation anywhere that says "only test with permitted devices or you can't drive"?

And are we talking about normal driving, or PSV / PCV driving?

It tests interstitial fluid as opposed to blood. Much like a CGM, it is not approved for ore driving readings. You still have to finger prick

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It tests interstitial fluid as opposed to blood. Much like a CGM, it is not approved for ore driving readings. You still have to finger prick
Sure I get that. But what is the DVLA regulation that says "must be a fingerstick blood test", rather than say a urine test or a CGM blood value, or whatever?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sure I get that. But what is the DVLA regulation that says "must be a fingerstick blood test", rather than say a urine test or a CGM blood value, or whatever?

I don't have the paperwork to hand, but in fairly certain it says blood glucose making urine or interstitial fluid invalid as pre driving tests

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1415305931.562358.jpg

Found this on their website. It does say blood glucose

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"appropriate blood glucose monitoring"

Hmm.

The only current type of blood glucose monitoring is the finger prick. So here's hoping they one day accept interstitial fluid!

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(

DRAFT MINUTES OF THE SECRETARY OF STATE’S HONORARY
MEDICAL ADVISORY PANEL ON DRIVING AND DIABETES MELLITUS
HELD ON TUESDAY, 1ST OCTOBER 2013

6. Blood Glucose Meters
Dr Gary Thorpe, Honorary Senior Lecturer at The University of Birmingham gave a
presentation on “Blood Glucose Meter Accuracy, What is it, Measurement and
Interpretation”.
6.2. The Panel also discussed the following paper: System Accuracy Evaluation of 43 Blood
Glucose Monitoring Systems for Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose according to DIN En
ISO 15197 – Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology 2012: 6: 1060-1075.
6.3. All meters on the market in the European Union need to meet minimum accuracy
standards. These are CE marked and meters which are not CE marked cannot be
marketed in the European Union. These meters measure plasma glucose levels.
Concerns were raised about the accuracy of some meters particularly at lower blood
glucose levels and the Panel will consider this and whether a stricter accuracy standard
needs to be set for lower glucose readings on the meters used by Group 2 drivers on
insulin. It was also noted that the memory must be sufficient to store at least 3 months
worth of blood glucose readings. In addition there are many operator dependent factors
which do influence meter accuracy and it is important that this information is clearly
available for users.