Tomorrows the day

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I finally get my hands on my pump tomorrow after waiting from January.

Must say I am a little bit apprehensive about everything but at least I have 4 days of Saline only to get used to things.

Although I've obviously known all along how it will be worn, this morning I suddenly worried what people at work etc will think when they see it. Diabetes is not something I either hide or flaunt.

I'm sure everything will be fine and just raring to get going. My BG yesterday suddenly started going high for no reason but must be related to me worrying about all of this. I do tend to worry more than I need to.

Reactions: 6 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most people assume my pump is either an MP3 player or a pager. If anyone stares when I'm at the gym or on the beach I can't say I've ever noticed!

Reactions: 4 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most people assume my pump is either an MP3 player or a pager. If anyone stares when I'm at the gym or on the beach I can't say I've ever noticed!

Yeah I'm sure I will be more aware of it than other people will. I've never seen or been aware of anyone wearing one.

Reactions: 2 people
H

Hooked

Before I got my pump, or even seen a pump I remember a young boy in the supermarket carrying his in his hand, my daughter (loves her gadgets) asked me what it was (otherwise I wouldn't have noticed). I told her it must be a pager, cos that's what I thought it was, and didn't give it a second thought until I was looking into pumps for myself.

I sometimes wear mine clipped to my jeans pocket. I tend to be oblivious to anyone staring anyway, but no one has ever asked me about it. My kids would mention if they thought someone was staring at us, and they've never mentioned a thing.

Good luck for tomorrow!

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck for tomorrow dtennant9 and hope all goes well :)

anniehi41

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Pump
All the people who have actually noticed my pump, and thats not many, have been very interested in how it works, I am very proud of my pump and take every opportunity in showing it off, so don't worry about people noticing.

All the best for tomorrow!

Regards
Annie

Reactions: 9 people

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My experience: Hardly anyone notices and those who do think it's a pager. Those who are interested then get really interested when I tell them what it is. Guess it seems pretty amazing to someone who's never heard of one before. And remember... a lot of the non-diabetic general public don't even know what insulin is... I know I didn't! So most of them are fascinated

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well I finally get my hands on my pump tomorrow after waiting from January.

Must say I am a little bit apprehensive about everything but at least I have 4 days of Saline only to get used to things.

Although I've obviously known all along how it will be worn, this morning I suddenly worried what people at work etc will think when they see it. Diabetes is not something I either hide or flaunt

I'm sure everything will be fine and just raring to get going. My BG yesterday suddenly started going high for no reason but must be related to me worrying about all of this. I do tend to worry more than I need to.

Good luck tomorrow, and I wish you all the best. There could be a few blips along the way, but I'm sure the forum members will give help and advice.

Take care and best wishes RRB :)

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I was the only one in the group to mess up my first set but got it in the second time.
Already don't really notice it other than making sure I go in and out the car a bit more carefully, bit worried about pulling the set out, which I'm sure wouldn't happen.
Saline practice all weekend including a practice set change on Sunday with insulin on Monday.

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well I was the only one in the group to mess up my first set but got it in the second time.
Already don't really notice it other than making sure I go in and out the car a bit more carefully, bit worried about pulling the set out, which I'm sure wouldn't happen.
Saline practice all weekend including a practice set change on Sunday with insulin on Monday.

May I ask which pump you went for dtennan19?

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
May I ask which pump you went for dtennan19?
Of course. I have the Medtronic Veo, got a nice blue one. Unfortunately we do not get a choice up here, the Medtronic is the only pump my clinic does.
Tonight's task may be figuring out how I go for a shower in the morning as they didn't go through any of that and I forgot to ask.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Of course. I have the Medtronic Veo, got a nice blue one. Unfortunately we do not get a choice up here, the Medtronic is the only pump my clinic does.
Tonight's task may be figuring out how I go for a shower in the morning as they didn't go through any of that and I forgot to ask.

Thanks for the reply dtenant9, hope you manage to get a shower without too much trouble.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you go to the Medtronic diabetes website and click on help and support it brings up a section on infusion sets with each type covered separately with a short video link, that should show you how to separate the pump and tubing from the cannula. I use the Quick Sets and the outer plastic circle with the tubing attached twists off easily to leave just the cannula in place, to re attach you place the set back over the cannula and twist back on, it will only twist one way!. Good luck it is all a bit daunting to start with but you soon get used to it.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you go to the Medtronic diabetes website and click on help and support it brings up a section on infusion sets with each type covered separately, that should show you how to separate the pump and tubing from the cannula. I use the Quick Sets and the outer plastic circle with the tubing attached twists off easily to leave just the cannula in place, to re attach you place the set back over the cannula and twist back on, it will only twist one way!. Good luck it is all a bit daunting to start with but you soon get used to it.:)

I use the Mio sets, the come with a plastic cap type thing but DSN said there's no need to use it

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply dtenant9, hope you manage to get a shower without too much trouble.

If you go to the Medtronic diabetes website and click on help and support it brings up a section on infusion sets with each type covered separately with a short video link, that should show you how to separate the pump and tubing from the cannula. I use the Quick Sets and the outer plastic circle with the tubing attached twists off easily to leave just the cannula in place, to re attach you place the set back over the cannula and twist back on, it will only twist one way!. Good luck it is all a bit daunting to start with but you soon get used to it.:)

Thanks guys, yeah had a look at my manual and it has given me an idea how I'm going to do it. At least it's only Saline at the moment, this is when to get it wrong.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the Mio sets, the come with a plastic cap type thing but DSN said there's no need to use it

Thanks @hale710 it is the Mio sets that I've got. It seems that I just suspend the pump and then squeeze the plastic bit and it should pop off. There does seem to be two small caps that came in the Mio box.
Two plastic bags full of stuff I ended up coming away with and there is still a new meter to come as well.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @hale710 it is the Mio sets that I've got. It seems that I just suspend the pump and then squeeze the plastic bit and it should pop off. There does seem to be two small caps that came in the Mio box.
Two plastic bags full of stuff I ended up coming away with and there is still a new meter to come as well.

You don't even have to suspend the pump - you run the risk of forgetting to un-suspend when you re-attach. It's not like it's going to pour insulin everywhere! Just unclip and go! It's really that simple :)

Only reason to use the caps is if you're going into some absolutely foul unsanitary water. Like the Ganges or something

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't even have to suspend the pump - you run the risk of forgetting to un-suspend when you re-attach. It's not like it's going to pour insulin everywhere! Just unclip and go! It's really that simple :)

Only reason to use the caps is if you're going into some absolutely foul unsanitary water. Like the Ganges or something

Have you seen the local swimming?

Does the pump not keep pumping when it's not connected?