About DVLA

Hi everybody! I got type 2 and I'm taking tablets and insulin as well and I got my provisional driving licence since from 5 or 6 months and I didn't tell to DVLA about my diabetes when I applied for provisional driving licence and now I passed my theory test and I'm taking my driving lessons now . When I talk to anybody about I'm diabetic your car insurance will be very if you tell DVLA so I'm so confused what should I do I need a help.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You need to notify the DVLA of your diabetes, by not doing so may invalidate your insurance.

Reactions: 2 people

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
You can be fined £1000 for not informing the DVLA of your diabetes. As noblehead says, your insurance would be invalid in the event of an accident for not notifying both insurance company and DVLA.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
It states on the dvla website you must inform them if insulin controlled

You also need to declare it to the insurance company failure to do either will invalidate your insurance

Hi everyone! I want to know if you tell the DVLA about your diabetes and you are on insulin and tablets after all this when you getting your driving licence Is this same like the other ones like like for 10 years valid or different or they written on your licence anything ? Or that look different from the other one ????

Hi everyone! I want to know if you tell the DVLA about your diabetes and you are on insulin and tablets after all this when you getting your driving licence Is this same like the other ones like like for 10 years valid or different or they written on your licence anything ? Or that look different from the other one ????

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Normally your license will need renewing every 3 tears when in insulin, just a simple firm to complete

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I have a restricted licence due to being on insulin, there's nothing on the licence to say that it's a restricted licence so it looks no different to any other driving licence, the only clue that it's a restricted licence is the date of issue and the expiry date, in my case its 3 years.

The UK Government has announced plans to extend the current 3 year restricted license to 10 years for drivers with insulin treated diabetes. The changes, which could be applied as early as this year, are part of amendments to the Deregulation Bill. The DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) has already recommended that the restricted license period should be extended. Restricted licences are issued to drivers with diabetes that take insulin as long term insulin use can sometimes lead to difficulty recognising the symptoms of hypoglycemia, a particular danger when driving. Extending the restricted license to 10 years will benefit people with diabetes, their doctors and the DVLA. Currently, the need for people on insulin to re-apply for a driving license every three years puts pressure on the DVLA as well as doctors who need to verify patients’ suitability to drive. The present system has resulted in significant numbers of people with diabetes having faced protracted delays in receiving a renewed license. Such delays can have a disruptive effect on people’s lives, such as posing substantial difficulties for people in getting to work. An extension to 10 years will help prevent the problems with renewal delays that currently exist. People on insulin need to be aware that it is important that, if you experience decreased ability to spot hypos, this must be declared to the DVLA. If you experience more than one severe hypo, a disabling hypo which requires help from someone else, this must also be declared to the DVLA.

Continue reading...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi so whats mean this News ? Please thank you

There's a write-up about it in the latest Balance magazine, basically it says the Deregulation Bill is going through Parliament and it will become law by the end of the year, after that it needs to be agreed by the Secretary of State Medical Advisory Panel on Diabetes who will access and recommend how long the the extended licences should be issued for, this the article says will be around March next year.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
When I was on insulin, it did not change my insurance premiums!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks again noblehead
Another thing i want to ask you if you have restricted licence when you done your insurance Is quite High? Or just normal !

No diabetes doesn't effect your car insurance premium, if your current insurer does try it on then look elsewhere.

lizbet9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If your on insulin you must tell DVLA, your insurance company shouldn't apply any terms to your policy they will just check to see if DVLA have been informed if you say yes and you haven't then insurance could be invalid (I worked in insurance for 16 years but have been out of it for a few now) x