A little of what you fancy

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
[

Well petrol was 75p a gallon when I started driving...does that mean I'm younger than those 2 guys?
And when I started it was 5.5p a litre, or about 4s 11d a gallon. All I can remember of treats in those days were ice creams sundaes in the school tuck shop.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
A walnut whip ...now you have done it I used to love those , maybe christmas day treat ......:***:
Nice to reminisce .....and have a treat occasionally ....

:)

but I haven't had a Walnut whip for over over 30 + years :eek:;)

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:eek::arghh:o_O. Good. Back to torture.......I miss homemade rice pudding,
This is what I don't understand. It is torture, but the OP is waiting for a diagnosis of maybe type 2 now or maybe still prediabetic. I really hope for her sake that she is still pre diabetic because it's so much easier than being type 2. But why are we being asked to taunt her with things she soon might not be able to have often? I find that rather distasteful, excuse the pun. I must admit I wish I was back there in my pre-diabetic days, oh well, that's life.

Reactions: 2 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
And when I started it was 5.5p a litre, or about 4s 11d a gallon. All I can remember of treats in those days were ice creams sundaes in the school tuck shop.
And the telly was black and white and only bbc1 and itv1 :).I crave a baked spud.. Oh this thread is Killing me... :stop: STOP !!!!

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Do they still make walnut whips. Don't think I've seen one for decades! Maybe that's why you haven't had one for 30 yrs RRB???

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Yep. You can still get them. I don't think they are as good now. Nestle have got them and gone cheap with the chocolate casing and no nut in the bottom. Just my opinion, still nice...from what I remember..

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Do you ever let yourself indulge in something you really enjoyed before diabetes but have now given up. I do sometimes give myself a naughty treat but it is not very often anything sweet.... never did have much of a sweet tooth. Last week though it was something sweet in the form of caramel and sesame seed coated peanuts they were so yummy and I did have to be very firm with myself and not eat the whole bag I don't find eating something like that makes me want more though.
Some people say they crave starchy carbs but I did not eat very much of those anyway well not bread pasta or rice but I do miss a jacket potato as I did eat a lot of those so I will have one of those occasionally

In all honesty I can not remember what I liked before diagnoses as I was only 4 1/2 when diagnosed and almost 54 now :) Favourite treat though is frozen raspberries with a splodge of cream on top.

Reactions: 3 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
They still make them but they are tiny compared to what we used to buy.

I miss bread and butter pudding with plenty of dried fruit and spices served with a big dollop of cream.
Oh custard for me please. Thick like double cream. :happy:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It is a pain in the bottom not being able to eat what you want or what you really like, but it's just one of those things. I assist a man with sight problems with his food shopping every week. We go to the bakery section in Sainsbury's and looking at and smelling the lovely bread types, well the assistants walk behind us with a mop and bucker because of the drooling :oops:I feel it all the time like many others, but it's not killing me by talking about it, or looking at it, I have had many nice memories of past foods also associated with family and friends as well .
Also if a member finds the thread so distressing, then it's best not to post or read it and focus on another section that appeals to that member more:) I have enjoyed participating on this thread with other members and their memories :D

RRB,

Reactions: 8 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It is a pain in the bottom not being able to eat what you want or what you really like, but it's just one of those things. I assist a man with sight problems with his food shopping every week. We go to the bakery section in Sainsbury's and looking at and smelling the lovely bread types, well the assistants walk behind us with a mop and bucker because of the drooling :oops:I feel it all the time like many others, but it's not killing me by talking about it, or looking at it, I have had many nice memories of past foods associated with family and friends.
Also if the thread is so distressing to someone, then it's best not to post or read it and focus on another section that appeals to you more:)

RRB,
No chance. I'm having to much fun. :D

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
They still make them but they are tiny compared to what we used to buy.

I miss bread and butter pudding with plenty of dried fruit and spices served with a big dollop of cream.

I used to make this and bread pudding too. I made bread pudding two weeks ago ( my teenager loves this) for some family and friends. And not one sultana passed my lips :meh:

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone been to the tiptree jam factory and shop and caf'e ????.. Really miss afternoon tea outside in the summer. Then a good stock up in the shop.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I like to have a little (and sometimes not so little) amount of liquorice and turkish delight. However I must admit also bags of peanuts.

At the moment I have some blueberry liquorice so that must be ok as it is berries ;)

Reactions: 8 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like to have a little (and sometimes not so little) amount of liquorice and turkish delight. However I must admit also bags of peanuts.

At the moment I have some blueberry liquorice so that must be ok as it is berries ;)
Peanuts are not too bad carb wise , though maybe whole bags of them might be :)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
images
free milk.:hungry:or:yuck:

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Do you ever let yourself indulge in something you really enjoyed before diabetes but have now given up.

Thinking about this question I'd have to say no. I was 10 when I was diagnosed with diabetes and what I really enjoyed before being diagnosed was playing with ActionMan toys. I've completely given that up since diagnosis...

Also, not wanting to be a pedant (said Dillinger being a pedant) but if you've given up something then you can't indulge in it as you've given it up surely?

Anyway, I got rained on, I've got too much work to do, I had a flu-jab yesterday and my arm feels like Mike Tyson has been punching it through the night and I've got a cough so I might very well go and play with an ActionMan if I get the chance.

:(

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 9 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Do you ever let yourself indulge in something you really enjoyed before diabetes but have now given up.

In a word, no. Having got my blood sugars under control and enjoying the foods I now eat why would I want to do that? I have fond memories of eating things I wouldn't now go near but I'm now in a new lifestyle.

Reactions: 4 people