Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere!

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It seems my determination to get my blood sugars back within normal range is finally paying off. Just thought I'd say that hard work really does pay off!
Hba1c has come down from 72 to 56! Still not perfect but woo hoo!
Any tips on lowering this even further. I still eat quite a heavy carb diet so I know that's one point I can improve on, but does anyone have any little tips? :)

Reactions: 10 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First of all congrats, its always a work in progress and you will be able to get it down further I am sure.
There is a thread here what have you eaten today, that will give you an idea of diet people generally follow here, apart from that just exercise and low carb is the mantra. I dropped mine from 142 to 46 in 3 months but its still in pre diabetic range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It seems my determination to get my blood sugars back within normal range is finally paying off. Just thought I'd say that hard work really does pay off!
Hba1c has come down from 72 to 56! Still not perfect but woo hoo!
Any tips on lowering this even further. I still eat quite a heavy carb diet so I know that's one point I can improve on, but does anyone have any little tips? :)

Well done that's great news, give your self a well deserved pat on the back.:)

Bluetit started a thread today about the Mediterranean diet on the BBC news, if you want to improve, then maybe that could help you ?

Best wishes RRB :)

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you :) I'll definitely look into those :) actually feel pretty positive about my diabetes for the first time in months! :-D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's a good positive take on it, good luck :)

RRB

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congrats!

Still no idea of my hba1cm kind of dreading finding out.

kazC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
True, it will give me a better perspective but i guess I'm a little anxious
Natural before an A1c result, especially if BS a little erratic. Mine was a nightmare a few years ago,. Keep us posted?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Congrats!

I'm dreading mine too, diabetes clinic next week :eek: The past 3 moths have been traumatic and I just hope its not as bad as I think it is :arghh:
Good luck RRB :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well done Emma, that's a great reduction in Hba1c and I'm sure it will fall further :)

If your on a high carb diet then some reduction of carbs in your diet will go a long way to improve matters, you don't have to go too low and by reducing slowly you'll find a level that best suits your needs.

I would recommend you read the book Think Like a Pancreas if you haven't done so already, it's full of some great advice on controlling type 1 diabetes, also don't forget that regular exercise is a great way to reduce insulin doses whilst also helping to lower bg levels overall, good luck and hope your good progress continues.

Reactions: 4 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I'm dreading mine too, diabetes clinic next week :eek: The past 3 moths have been traumatic and I just hope its not as bad as I think it is :arghh:
Good luck RRB :)
Whatever it is - we will still be here for you ;)
Remember stress can raise the BG's too :meh:

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Hi Emma , good to hear about your success stories. Can you elaborate a little bit how did you achieve that?

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Emma , good to hear about your success stories. Can you elaborate a little bit how did you achieve that?
I got into a mindset that I just couldn't do it any more. I was really low. But I gave myself a telling off. I started by finally managing to sort out my basal rates. Once that was done, I stuck rigidly to my carb counting. I was being quite complacent with it all, but now I really try my hardest :)

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congrats!

I was dreading this one. After finally starting to take care of myself, I would have been devastated if there wasn't a change. But remember, if this one isn't what you expect, it isn't the end of the world. It just tells you that there are some improvements to be made :)