FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

jddukes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@jddukes argh now I'm jealous of ur readings too! Lol.

What's a research scientist / chocolatier?

Well I always have been a research scientist (I work in cancer research/therapy), but a number of years ago I also set up my own chocolatiering business making and selling chocolates. As my "real" work got very busy and responsibilities increased I have had to give up my business so now just a chocolatier for fun! :)

Has anyone who has quite sporadic readings longer then 1-2 days looked into their diet, especially around those sporadic readings? If high, did you have foods high in vitamin C, if low, did you have foods high in salicylate? These are listed interferents.

J

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Excellent. I work for a chocolate company and find it really difficult being around chocolate all day! :-(

I spoke to soon re my accuracy of new sensor, now over 2mmol out. Hoping it picks up tomorrow

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My new sensor went in 24 hours ahead of enabling it. At the point of turning it on, I was running at 5.4 on the blood test.

Currently I am seeing a 7 flat on the sensor and a 6.4 on the blood test.

Will be interesting to see how it tracks.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So close

IMG_4875.JPG

Reactions: 3 people

jddukes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Excellent. I work for a chocolate company and find it really difficult being around chocolate all day! :-(

I spoke to soon re my accuracy of new sensor, now over 2mmol out. Hoping it picks up tomorrow
Another reason why I had to pack in the business. Inventing new flavours meant tasting lots, and that is not too amenable to low carbing! And as you can see from that graph low carbing seems to work for me...I just have to ignore the 40kg of chocolate in my drawer :)

J

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
While one might expect variance, that's a pretty significant variance. Are you able to compare those variances relative to the lifetime of the sensor?

@tim2000s - I'd have to look more closely, but from a cursory glance it looks pretty random. Certainly the first few days of each sensor are bad, but after that there doesn't seem to be a pattern. I'll take a closer look soon and see if I can tell anything. The new sensor went in yesterday and was having 1.x differences (which seemed good to me given the differences I'd had on the other two), but the last batch of readings I've taken have had differences of 0.7, 0, 0.1, 0.3, -0.4 (Freestyle to Accuchek), so I'm hoping this is how it's going to be with this sensor.

Smidge

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ordered my 2nd batch of sensors over 2 weeks ago (when I inserted my last sensor). Yesterday my last sensor expired and no sign of my new ones. Theres no delivery email, no tracking number. i battled to get through to Abbott and they dont seem that bothered to help. They said I must wait. I then asked for a refund and they said they will only offer a refund when I return the sensors which have never arrived.
They say that it was dispatched. Theres no tracking reference number.
Anyone else experiencing this?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
After I took my sensor out yesterday I thought it might be quite interesting to take it apart and see if I could work our how it works and why it has a 14 day limited life.

What I determined is that the sensor comes in two parts. The "electronics" and the "electrochemical transducer", which is the real sensor.

Starting with the electrochemical transducer", what I think is happening is that the filament is detecting the changes to the glucose level in the interstitial fluid and via the combination of enzymes in the filament unit, constantly generating an electrical current. This is passed through a set of contacts on the sensor to the electronics.

The "electronics" are then storing this data. The electronics consists of an NFC chip, which we know about, a small battery (which is more than enough to power the device for longer than 14 days) and some circuitry. I'd guess that there is a controller and memory chip on there, but I wonder whether that is integrated into the NFC chip. I make this supposition because we know that there is limited storage capacity on the device itself. Plus of course the NFC antenna.

The simplest way for it to work would be that the variance in current or voltage caused by the variation in glucose level would be recorded in the memory of the device, and when the reader pulls the data off the NFC chip it interprets this to glucose level units.

Looking at the make up of the device, I suspect that the 14 day limit is imposed to try and maintain fidelity of the signals from the filament component of the sensor rather than anything to do with the electronics. I guess that as the filament is used continuously, the enzymes become degraded by constant exposure and that rather than risk getting variability in readings post 14 days, they have elected to cut off while it is known to be good. Or it could just be in order to recoup costs.

Interestingly, the design of the sensor unit with the removable electrochemical component does suggest that you could use the NFC component with a wider range of "sensor" clip in units to test for other things in interstitial fluid, or replace the existing filament with something with greater longevity.

Of course, this is mostly speculation based on what I'm looking at and has no basis in any info from Abbott, so I could be totally wrong! o_O

Another thing I noticed was that I clearly caught a capillary on the way in as there was blood on the base of the unit. I wonder whether this affects the accuracy or otherwise of the sensor. It will be interesting to track how the new sensor works and check the base when that is expired.

igmr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So, this is what a good nights sleep looks like :) Almost a smiley.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 391
Reactions: 7 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1416472895.988129.jpg

I've been feeling rather smug with my Libre and control this week.... This proves it is justified! Fingers crossed for a similar result at the D clinic in two weeks!!

Reactions: 6 people

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i did. I spent ages trying to get through. i spoke to an obnoxious woman who couldnt be bothered and who told me to wait... it will come.
I then demanded my money back and she said once it arrives, then i should send it back and they will refund it. They couldnt have cared. I am so dissapointed in their customer care. Chronopost dont have a number to contact them on neither

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i did. I spent ages trying to get through. i spoke to an obnoxious woman who couldnt be bothered and who told me to wait... it will come.
I then demanded my money back and she said once it arrives, then i should send it back and they will refund it. They couldnt have cared. I am so dissapointed in their customer care. Chronopost dont have a number to contact them on neither
Not good!!! Is their any kind of tracking number on ur account details at all?

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
C
I have done this for my swapover today. The sensor went on yesterday at 3pm and the swap time is 3pm today.
Cracking stuff, I'll be doing the same I think on face value it's the best way to get the most value out of the sensors and avoid the annoying bedding in period. Let us know how that transition goes.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Omnipod
I think that you need to get that tracking number from them. There is a telephone number on the French version of the chronopost site but I doubt it would do you any good without it. I had to contact them about my first parcel, Abbott didn't send notification of expedition for 3 days by which time chronopost had already tried to deliver but couldn't find me. When I spoke to them, they were efficient (I blame the non delivery on a couldn't be bothered driver) but you needed the tracking number and not surprisingly, because I am in France the conversation was all in French

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone tried their sensor on a site other than the back of the arm?
My sensor has expired and I have a formal party tomorrow that I would like to be sensor free for (call me vain I know). Not sure how well I'll cope without being able to scan myself all day tomorrow without it!!
Well, for CGMs the recommendation was back of arm or stomach, so that's probably the best place to try if you are a betting person.

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I seem to have been very insulin resistant since devouring so much glucose, which put me on a roller coaster. Even this morning my BG shot up for no reason and I had to rage bolus to get it down. Maybe I have too much glycogen on board. I was always a bit unpredictable like this until I started low-carbing.
Do you find that having a lot of glycogen onboard makes a difference?,
Bit of a tangent here Robert, how do you find the Accu-check mobile? I deeply regret switching over to it. The convenience of having a drum of test strips is outweighed heavily with multiple errors, low blood errors while actually applying blood and wonky readings, it's the first glucometer to give me false low readings.