Type 1: Prescription fine

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the other hand, the NHS isn't particularly targeting anyone. If you aren't registered as exempt, the department dealing with it won't know.

It's a bit like people using disabled badges for parking when not entitled.

As diabetics, we might not like them checking up, but as tax payers we should be pleased that they are on the look out for people defrauding the NHS.

Hopefully, once you explain, they'll drop the fine, you'll get your exemption card & everything will be fine.

Reactions: 5 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive never needed one until moving to england (because its generally rubbish here) @molivers I would ignore the letter and just get a card asap. I wouldnt worry its clear you shouldnt pay for scrips and this is a box ticking exercise.

Reactions: 4 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the other hand, the NHS isn't particularly targeting anyone. If you aren't registered as exempt, the department dealing with it won't know.

It's a bit like people using disabled badges for parking when not entitled.

As diabetics, we might not like them checking up, but as tax payers we should be pleased that they are on the look out for people defrauding the NHS.

Hopefully, once you explain, they'll drop the fine, you'll get your exemption card & everything will be fine.
It's actually not like disabled badge holders using a card when not entitled. That is fraud plain and simple, this is an administrative issue. T1's are ALL entitled to free prescriptions and there has been no attempt to defraud the NHS here.
It just seems to me to be that it is a very random process as well. Who is checking this and how? Myself, Jaylee, Molivers73 etc have never really had exemption cards yet only one has been fined. Has anyone here ever heard of another diabetic being fined for this? There must be many more that don't have exemptions that also haven't been fined so if it's going to be done they should do it properly or it begins to look exactly what it is..a half ***** discriminatory old fashioned approach that either needs reviewing or scrapping.

iHs

This is probably due to phsrmacy counter staff not asking to see the exemption certificate first before handing the prescfiption to the pharmacist to dispense it who just takess it for granted that the person is exempt so goes ahead.

As per usual shoddy admin work as the NHS paid the prescription instead of querying as to whether there was an exemption certificate for the first prescription and not leave it to mount up and carrying on paying taking everything for granted.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
For those of you who have a card, does it have a start date and/or an expiry date?
Did you receive any reminder that your card was due to expire and you needed to renew?

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1126.aspx gives the details of entitlement - basically any diabetic who requires diabetic medication.

So there may be many diabetics who are entitled but who are not currently claiming.

I got a little tangled in this on first diagnosis - recommendations for diabetics include low dose slow release aspirin and statins. However neither of these drugs are specific to diabetes. Hint - if you are not taking Metformin but are on statins and aspirin it can save you a lot of money if you start taking Metformin.

Last edited by a moderator:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
For those of you who have a card, does it have a start date and/or an expiry date?
Did you receive any reminder that your card was due to expire and you needed to renew?
Yes it's plastic credit card size with name and valid from and until date on it. I've always had a reminder sent a month before renewal date.

Reactions: 5 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm assuming mine is still valid. I can't find it and I have received no reminder to replace it. So I tick the box saying I have a card as I do. If I get a fine, I can go back on the where was the reminder point.

Reactions: 2 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Good point - there should be some way to check that you have a current exemption certificate.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Nicola please remove the photo as anyone can steal that number and your name.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm amazed the pharmacy staff write your exemption number underneath. You would think if this was compulsory there would be a box on the form to enter the number. The back of the form has hardly changed in 42 years and has never had a box. Also when I think about it when receiving insulin etc. on repeat prescription I don't remember actually being given an opportunity to sign it.

It's because when the form goes through a form of processing, it can then be checked that the number is on the computer system and it is a correct entitlement. The back of the form is very small area, I would think it needs some sensible tweaking. Also it covers the pharmacy, as they need to go through procedures as well.

Best wishes RRB

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can see there needs to be a check on entitlement, otherwise anyone could just tick a box and sign the form. It seems to be a very inefficient checking process if in 38 years (before age 60) I was never asked to produce a card or certificate number.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My card has a valid from and valid to date. It expires next August. I expect I will be contacted a month before to renew it, but if I'm not, the onus is still on me to renew it - the regulations are very clear on that. I have never been asked for it at the pharmacy, but I do have to tick the box on the back of the prescription each time to acknowledge that I have a medical exemption certificate.

I think the whole process is overseen by a group called NHS Business Services who are a seperate but closely-linked business to the NHS. I suspect they have been given targets to clamp down on people claiming free prescriptions when they are not entitled - and they are interpreting that as clamping down on people claiming free prescriptions when they don't have a valid medical exemption certificate. All diabetics on diabetic medication are entitled to a medical exemption certificate. Only those with a medical exemption certificate are entitled to free prescriptions.

Smidge

rocker1312

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I must be one of the privileged ones I seem to have 2 exempt cards that run out in different year’s work that one out?????

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive just turnt 18 and come out of full time education and ive just been asked to get a medical exception certificate all i had to do was go to my GP surgery fill in a form then about 4 days later i got sent a little white card in the post and i get everything for free from it... definatly not your fault if youve never been informed

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So, if you have a card and can't find it call 0845 601 8076 and they will send you a new one, as the nice lady on the phone did for me earlier.