Precautions question

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Precautions?? In your normal day to day life do you take any precautions, like carrying a surgery drink or sweets around with you?

The reason I ask was on a long drive earlier this week my mind started to wander (apart from driving there now a lot to think about at 5am in the morning and its raining), what would happen if I started to feel unwell (having a hypo), should I be prepared?? I drive for between 2.5 to 4hrs each way a couple of times a week and it is making me a little concerned now.

Reactions: 4 people

lizbet9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You should check your levels before you get in a vehicle if you are below I think it's 6 your shouldn't drive, you should have a monitor with you and if you feel hypo should stop, remove the key and get in passenger seat and should take hypo treatment so yes keep something in your car or you could be given driving charges and your insurance could be invalid - speak to your diabetic nurse x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see you are type 2. Are you prone to hypos?

I find my best way to avoid them is sticking to low carb with enough fat. The slow release foods stop both hyper and hypo - so no problems arise.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, as type 2 not on medication I don't find I need them. I low carb too.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Precautions?? In your normal day to day life do you take any precautions, like carrying a surgery drink or sweets around with you?

The reason I ask was on a long drive earlier this week my mind started to wander (apart from driving there now a lot to think about at 5am in the morning and its raining), what would happen if I started to feel unwell (having a hypo), should I be prepared?? I drive for between 2.5 to 4hrs each way a couple of times a week and it is making me a little concerned now.
Hi, I always carry something in my handbag to eat - such as a 9Bar or a small bag of jellybabies, together with my test kit. I've never had to use them except once when I skipped lunch and suddenly found myself with really low BS and feeling sick with hunger (ie really shaky). For the most part if you eat regularly I don't think you have to worry so much.. but I do it, in case.

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I see you are type 2. Are you prone to hypos?

I find my best way to avoid them is sticking to low carb with enough fat. The slow release foods stop both hyper and hypo - so no problems arise.

Yep I am type two but I am only 3 weeks since diagnosis so still new. I am on medication (metformin 500g x 3 and Simvastin 1 x 40g), not had a hypo. Still learning what food is good and what is bad, just trying to find that balance.

Think I will get a bag of jelly babies and leave them in the car, will look for a little carry bag for my test kit. I normally test myself after evening meals and 2 hours later

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, yes I carry glucose tablets with me, and I used to always have a biscuit with me too but I kept eating them, lol! If you drive a lot you should keep some snacks with you just in case. The first things go quickly in a hypo is your judgement, and confusion sets in fast. You don't say if you are on medication or insulin?

Reactions: 2 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry just read your reply to Brunneria. As well as a quick release sugar you should also have something more slow release after that, as the sugar boost wears off quickly. Also I'm on insulin