Not taken Metformin for 5 days numbers low, the same and in control - experiment?

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Hi colleagues, fellow members, legends, newbies. Some of you will know I am a relative NEWBY. I was prescribed 500mg Metformin and changed my diet reasonably instantly once I had worked out which Carbs were impacting me. So I have NO excuses now, If my numbers go up it is invariably because i have CHOSEN to eat something and then brace myself for the consequences. Overall though MEGA pleased with progress. It has now been 40 days since I started testing my BS.and 43 days since I was prescribed a 28 day supply of Metformin 500mg one a day. So missed a few days at the start and odd one here and there. My 28 tablets finished 5 days ago. I haven't managed to get to the GP, weekend and practical issues. My numbers actually are as good NOW if not better now than they were when I was taking Metformin. Could still be a build up in blood circulating. I am now going to see if I can maintain these numbers without Metformin which some regular members have suggested is such a low dose as to not be material anyway. My fasting numbers last 5 days are given below. I am really ok with that so goodby METFORMIN for now. Please let me know if you think its a bit too risky.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with brettsza. For me the main impact of metformin was reducing my insulin resistance and suppressing my appetite, so it helped me lose weight. I didn't really notice much difference in BG levels.

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My DSN took me of them when my sugars levied out to a nice low level ...

Edit to add .. You are also on stains .. Are you getting side effects from them ?

Last edited by a moderator:

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
I agree with brettsza. For me the main impact of metformin was reducing my insulin resistance and suppressing my appetite, so it helped me lose weight. I didn't really notice much difference in BG levels.
Thanks Zand. Weight is going down slowly but surely. Already lost 5kg. I had read somewhere that it helps reduce liver dump in the mornings. I was scoring 8's when I started in the mornings but not sure if reduction was due to metformin or diet change.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin helps with insulin resistance, liver dumps, and appetite, but all to a limited extent, especially on such a low dosage.

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
My DSN took me of them when my sugars levied out to a nice low level ...

Edit to add .. You are also on stains .. Are you getting side effects from them ?
No not yet thankfully:

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to ask but what sort of side effects could it have as I am on it, sorry to hijack the thread this way.

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Sorry to ask but what sort of side effects could it have as I am on it, sorry to hijack the thread this way.
Tiredness, confusion and memory loss, well I've had that most of my life some would say LOL, Muscle related stuff. My dose is quite small though I think...and my cholestrol wasn't outrageous, blood pressure good...so hopefully I can throw them away soon too.

http://www.lipitor.com/side-effects

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
[QUOTiredness, confusion and memory loss, well I've had that most of my life some would say LOL, Muscle related stuff. My dose is quite small though I think...and my cholestrol wasn't outrageous, blood pressure good...so hopefully I can throw them away soon too.

http://www.lipitor.com/side-effectsTE="beatdise, post: 693494, member: 134698"]Yes LIPITOR is a statin isnt' it?[/QUOTE]