Panic

Heathfshaw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am wanting some help I have been diagnosed with type 1 for 2 months now , I have done all my research but all I can see is people having issues years down the line with there diabetes is there anyone who doesn't have serious DKA or hypos it really scares me thinking it will always be a problem ?

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are many of us on here who have been diabetic 40+ years and are doing just fine. Most of the things I thought would be issues for me back when I was diagnosed can now be treated or prevented due to advances in medicine.

I know it's quite a shock to be told all the things which can go wrong, but people are just trying to encourage you to take some care of yourself.

Reactions: 7 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The important thing is that if you do exert good control, neither DKA nor relentless hypos will happen. I'm a youngster by comparison to some on here (only 26+ years of being a type 1). I have been hospitalised once with avoidable DKA after getting too drunk as a student and had an ambulance involved in a hypo once. That's 2 days in roughly 10,000, or to put it another way, practically never.

That's not to say these things aren't bad, just that if you look after yourself, a lot of it is avoidable. That you are here on the forum is a good start as it shows that you are interested in taking care of yourself and how you can go about doing that, and that can on;y be a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Heathfshaw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your replies , well I'm just turning 21 I don't drink or smoke only drink on occasion , I have only been diagnosed 2 months and my sugars are back to normal from being diagnosed at 32.4 BG , it's just I don't want to live in fear I'll be in and or if hospital ! This has really helped thank you

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi and welcome. It can be very scary for some, but as someone said there are lots of type 1's ,20,30,40,50 years + and are still going strong. I have only been admitted to hospital regarding diabetes once and that was when I was diagnosed.
Try not to let it take over your life, because you have diabetes, it doesn't have you.
Take good care, get as good control as possible with diabetes management, hospital appointments, DSN check up's and be sensible when drinking alcohol.
Good luck and if there's anything you need to know, or get off your chest, this is the place to be.

All the best RRB :)

Reactions: 5 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi I am wanting some help I have been diagnosed with type 1 for 2 months now , I have done all my research but all I can see is people having issues years down the line with there diabetes is there anyone who doesn't have serious DKA or hypos it really scares me thinking it will always be a problem ?
I've been type 1 for almost 50 years and have never been in hospital due to my diabetes. Never had DKA and last time I needed help with a hypo was in 1977. That was sorted at home no problem.

Reactions: 7 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I can tell you this - I was diagnosed and then hospitalized with DKA back in May. My sugars were only 22 (lower then yours!)

I don't want to make it sound good in any way - because it is serious and dangerous - but it (my experience) wasn't THAT bad. I thought I had food poisoning... That was the worst of it lol being sick all night. Then I went to the ER and they diagnosed me with DKA and type 1. I stayed for a week, and was on fluids the first 3 days to clear it all out and then I was kept for monitoring the next 3 days.

Now that you know your type 1, in normal world conditions you shouldn't ever develop DKA unless, like above, you go on drinking sprees lol

Your gonna notice that if your sugars get high you feel weird and you'll check them and then you'll inject. So there's no reason to get it. Outside of drinking I think it would take at least a couple days of no insulin and lots of carbs to develop it - it probably took me at least a month haha

I haven't once worried I would develop DKA again, it seems like it would take some trying lol just know that you should be checking your sugars regularly and counting carbs and you'll be fine. Also know that high sugars doesn't mean DKA, you can have a post meal spike of 20 without developing DKA... It's when your sugars stay at 20 for like a day with no insulin that you should worry.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, 2 more things to think about (i'll be quick!)

1 - Many stats that you hear doctors and websites mention about 'Diabetics' are a combination of Type 1 and Type 2. Type 2 diabetics seem to have it worse off then us. T1D is more work, but can control BS levels fairly well once you get the hang of it. These stats that say diabetics will develop a bunch of problems after years, or in old age are heavily influenced by the T2D crowd who are usually somewhat unhealthy before being diagnosed.

2 - The stats given about all these scary things can't accuratly predict how newly diagnosed T1D function over their lives with modern practices and technology (such as pumps and CGMs). They try to predict but can really only go off of historical data, pumps and CGMs haven't been around long enough for them to put a 21 yr old on them and see what happens 50 years later. You'll likely due better then person diagnosed in the 60s lol

clarehayward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
what great positive responses from all you dia buddies out there. Heathfshaw, take heart. you are already NOT doing two bad things, smoking and drinking (a lot) so that's a bonus. As said above, you're new to it, it's a lot to take on board but if you basically look after yourself and keep a good check on things, you can usually stop things getting too far. if you're aware of your body and test frequently and look for patterns, as an example, you can spot trends and take action. We can all have bad days but if you're proactive in dealing with things you can really help yourself. Eat healthily and take exercise - these are good for everyone and will help you. All the best and this is a great supportive site.

Clare, type 1 for 35 years! so far no complications or hospital admissions except like Tim 2000 when I was younger and had been drinking and DIDN'T listen to my body or take appropriate action.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've had type 1 diabetes for 33 years and never had DKA or needed a third party to help me with a hypo, so try not to dwell on such things and just get on with living your life @Heathfshaw, as long as your aware of the risks of DKA and hypoglycaemia and know the protocol for dealing with both then you must put these worry's to one-side.

If you want any-more help and support then do come back and ask.

lely

I've been diagnosed 7 years. I cried lot when diagnosed I thought my life was officially over. I can't believe it's been seven years. Only been DKA on diagnosis and never since.
I do worry about looking after myself right ad I want to live a long life with as little complications as possible. And all these people been diagnosed 20/30/40 years give me hope and keep me going, as does my family.

Reactions: 6 people

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 22 and type 1 for 14 years i have been in icu 5times this year with dka and have neuropathy but thats my own fault as i just cant be botherd with it anymore and want to be normal

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Hi,I have been diabetic T1 for over 50 years and only have a couple of minor problems and providing you look after your Diabetes you will be able to achieve what ever you want.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Heathfshaw,

I can also join the roll call of T1 Ds with no complications or issues..
I've had it for 38 years & done some crazy stuff in my youth. Which i would not advocate.
With my hand on heart can say I have never needed assistance professional or otherwise.
Other than managing the D. Life wise, what ever the hell i want is still the choice!

shedlover111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 2 years in and apart from initial hospitalisation have never had an issue, yes, I was petrified of the dreaded hypos in the beginning but you soon learn to spot the symptoms, its just remembering that nothing really happens that quickly and as boring as it is I find if I stick to a routine then the whole thing is fairly predictable, anyway look on the bright side.............Hypo = sweet things to eat...........legally !!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am 22 and type 1 for 14 years i have been in icu 5times this year with dka and have neuropathy but thats my own fault as i just cant be botherd with it anymore and want to be normal

Please don't give up. Can you make an appointment with your GP to talk about how you are feeling ?
You are normal and you can do anything, honestly you can, don't let type 1 take over your life, don't let it smoother you, as life is very precious, and that means you are too. Yes, diabetes can be a pain in the butt, but you're in control and you should make sure you give it a good sharp swift kick from time to time, just to show who's the boss.:cool:

Please take good care.

RRB

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you very muchy doc is rubbish i used to take care of myself untill i was about 19 then i went in a state of depression and gave up i still do my injections dont do my sugars much and just eat what i want xx

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Thank you very muchy doc is rubbish i used to take care of myself untill i was about 19 then i went in a state of depression and gave up i still do my injections dont do my sugars much and just eat what i want xx

It's difficult I know and the fact that it is unrelenting is the really nasty element of it but you know what I'm going to say; you need to get back on top of things.

Our control is not optional as if we don't take control there will come a day when we can no longer do anything about it.

Are you being treated for your depression? I hope so; there are a lot of options out there in relation to that as I understand.

I kind of figure that by posting on here you are actually looking for help; so please keep posting and looking as help is here.

Best

Dillinger