Anyone on the same insulin as me? Levemir and novorapid?

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was diagnosed just under two weeks so I'm still new to everything! Currently I take between 3-5 units of novorapid before each main meal I eat (b/fast, lunch and dinner) and 12 units of levemir before I go to bed. I was just wondering if anyone is on anything similar to me? Also my bloods tend to be 7-8 mmol in the morning and end up being 13-17 by the time I go to bed.

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok thanks. I thought I may need to up it just needed someone else to agree with me! I guess it takes a bit of time to understand how much to take. I'm not carb counting at the moment, the amount of insulin is judged on my blood levels. Have a happy new year too!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi, I was diagnosed just under two weeks so I'm still new to everything! Currently I take between 3-5 units of novorapid before each main meal I eat (b/fast, lunch and dinner) and 12 units of levemir before I go to bed. I was just wondering if anyone is on anything similar to me? Also my bloods tend to be 7-8 mmol in the morning and end up being 13-17 by the time I go to bed.

Speak with your DSN about your bg levels rising before bed, it may mean you need to split-dose your levemir insulin as many find it doesn't last a full 24 hours and tends to tail-off around the 16 hour mark.

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Speak with your DSN about your bg levels rising before bed, it may mean you need to split-dose your levemir insulin as many find it doesn't last a full 24 hours and tends to tail-off around the 16 hour mark.

Just spoke to them now and I'm increasing whatever I take at lunch by 0.5 for now and probably to 1 at some point to bring the readings before dinner to have a knock on effect. Still having levemir in one go. Thanks for response :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I take NovoRapid and Levemir. As you have been diagnosed a couple of weeks you are doing okay. When are you more active, in the morning or evening or both? as I take a lot less Insulin in the morning, but more at lunchtime and evening meal, as am less active. I take 11 units of Levemir before bed.
It will probably take a little more tweaking with Insulin doses to get on the right track, but I'm sure you will get there :)

Good luck and all the best RRB

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take NovoRapid and Levemir. As you have been diagnosed a couple of weeks you are doing okay. When are you more active, in the morning or evening or both? as I take a lot less Insulin in the morning, but more at lunchtime and evening meal, as am less active. I take 11 units of Levemir before bed.
It will probably take a little more tweaking with Insulin doses to get on the right track, but I'm sure you will get there :)

Good luck and all the best RRB

At the moment I'm not as active as normal but tend to be more active in the evenings. I'm 15 so once I'm back at school I should be doing a lot more exercise. I've left myself go a bit over the holidays! As mentioned in previous comment, my doses are being increases a lunch but I feel like I doing okay. I was 22.7 when I was diagnosed so it's getting better. What were you when you were diagnosed and how much novorapid do you roughly take?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
At the moment I'm not as active as normal but tend to be more active in the evenings. I'm 15 so once I'm back at school I should be doing a lot more exercise. I've left myself go a bit over the holidays! As mentioned in previous comment, my doses are being increases a lunch but I feel like I doing okay. I was 22.7 when I was diagnosed so it's getting better. What were you when you were diagnosed and how much novorapid do you roughly take?

Hi, I was diagnosed 25 years ago, hundreds of miles away and was in hospital. My BS reading was in the 30's then.
I take about 2 units for breakfast, 5 to 8 for lunch and about the same for dinner. I used to take less NovoRapid, but lately, I have had to increase my doses more. I also have a 1/2 unit pen, which has been much better.
Has your school been informed of your diagnosis and what about your friends ? are you coping okay, as it can be a big shock and a lot to take in? It can also be hard going on the younger ones :(.
There are other members about your age on the forum, so maybe you could have a look through the different sections.

Best wishes RRB :)

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was diagnosed 25 years ago, hundreds of miles away and was in hospital. My BS reading was in the 30's then.
I take about 2 units for breakfast, 5 to 8 for lunch and about the same for dinner. I used to take less NovoRapid, but lately, I have had to increase my doses more. I also have a 1/2 unit pen, which has been much better.
Has your school been informed of your diagnosis and what about your friends ? are you coping okay, as it can be a big shock and a lot to take in? It can also be hard going on the younger ones :(.
There are other members about your age on the forum, so maybe you could have a look through the different sections.

Best wishes RRB :)

Yes my schools been informed. I think the diabetes nurses or someone will go into school to give the teachers info about everything-my symptoms of a hypo etc... I think I've been coping ok. Levels haven't been too bad but I did have a day where I really couldn't be bothered with anything. I've also had a look and the other forums with people my age as well, think it will be good to talk to people who are pretty much in the same situation. As times gone on, has it become a lot easier to manage? Thanks for your help :)

Reactions: 2 people

Sallyw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok thanks. I thought I may need to up it just needed someone else to agree with me! I guess it takes a bit of time to understand how much to take. I'm not carb counting at the moment, the amount of insulin is judged on my blood levels. Have a happy new year too!

Sallyw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!
Good luck with your diabetes journey! I’ve had it for 67 years!
I was very interested to learn that your insulin is based on your blood levels. I have done that for the last couple of years but am now on a course for Type 1 diabetics called DAFNE which advocates carb counting. I am really struggling!

Sallyw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!
Good luck with your diabetes journey! I’ve had it for 67 years!
I was very interested to learn that your insulin is based on your blood levels. I have done that for the last couple of years but am now on a course for Type 1 diabetics called DAFNE which advocates carb counting. I am really struggling!