What is the best alcohol for a diabetic?

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
NYE, Im in a party mood. What alcohol / drink will have the lowest effect on my Blood Sugar?
Beer...
G+T?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gin without the tonic. The mixers often have sugar in. A certain doctor called beer liquid toast.

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Gin without the tonic. The mixers often have sugar in. A certain doctor called beer liquid toast.

Liquid bread.
But I seem to get on well with beer now :)
Higher alcohol, so the sugar is fermented out, but not into the double fermented dark Belgian beers that are sweetened again.

But, spirits, seem better for most.
Although I have had a few scotch's, and brandies this Christmas, and they did taste sweet.
So maybe vodka?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sticking with none.
I know, that sucks, but my friends love me as they don't need a taxi with me to drive.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any other than larger, bitter or liqueurs. Dry is better than sweet in wine & cider.

kimkennedy89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being unwell & high blood sugars!
I never seem to go wrong with vodka and a diet coke or diet irn bru, although I always snack when drinking.alcohol to stop any hypos through the night or the next morning x

Last edited by a moderator:

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
spirits have least effect immediately, but, All will lower bloods through the night depending on quantity drank while the liver is dealing with clearing the alcohol instead of producing sugar making basal sort of redundant through the early hours. Advisable to have a snack afterwards, how much depends on your bodies reaction. Can have an effect next day also. Test regular see what works for you and stay safe.

Reactions: 2 people