Neuropathy Update

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A couple of weeks ago, I posted a thread asking for help with my painful neuropathy.

i took on board everyones advice but one person posted that I get the book - 'The Antioxidant Miracle' by Lester Packer. (Thank you for this invaluable suggestion)

i bought the Kindle version for just over £5 from Amazon.

I started reading the book and could not put it down. I found it all so interesting especially as everything was backed up with a trial.

The next day, i went up to my local Holland & Barrett and bought Alpha Lipoic Acid, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Evening Primrose, Co Q10, Vitamin B12, B Complex, n-acetyl l-carnitine, Omega 3&6 fish oil capsules and Niacin. (A good £100) :(

I been taking these now for a week and yesterday was the first day that I went to bed without any painful burning neuropathy.

I also followed advice in going low carb, high protein and fat - snacking on almonds, babybel cheese etc. I have dropped in my insulin intake and have been slowly reducing my long acting insulin. I used to take 20 units tressiba everynight. I am now on 17 units and woke up today with a 4.5. I stayed at 5 almost the entire night.

I walked around the west end all day yesterday shopping without any foot pain. Came home and slept right through the night without getting up once. (Usually Id wake up 2/3 times) I also never took any Amitryptiline for my neuropathy.

I went a bit low before dinner last night - had 1 jelly baby and some almonds which took me back up to 4 where I stayed until dinner.

I also started drinking Green tea this week.

I have taken a couple of weeks off excercising so will gradually start again after New Year.

I cannot describe how good I am feeling at the moment. I have never felt this good in the 14 years that I have been diabetic.

Even my eyesight - I see just as well without my glasses on.

I just downloaded my Freestyle Libre report for this past week. It usually gives you an HBA1C for the period. For the past 3 months, I dropped from 8.7% to 7.2% which was exactly my fasting HBA1C carried out in the lab a few weeks ago.
My HBA1C for the last week - Low carbing and taking the anti oxidants was 6.5%

If anyone has painfull neuropathy, I urge you to try this and report back. Id love to hear your positive stories.

Also, I urge everyone to read this book.

Reactions: 9 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Great !!!! Happy for you mate :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
We all deserve a break doncha think? Take care MD

Reactions: 2 people

Grins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi loved this post very pleased you had a positive day...how has it been since? As you may remember from earlier posts i am also suffering from painful feet. Currently having 1 or 2 painful flare ups a day...mostly evening, or from standing too long.

does alcohol effect your symptoms at all?

Would it be possible to message me the doseages of those supplements please? My B12 levels are normal.in blood test do you think it is worth still supplementing?

Which alpha lipoic acid are you taking is it the R-la type? Never got head round the types!

Thank you v much for whatever info.you can give.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
wow what an encouraging story!!

I also started low carb again today and blown away by the flat line on my Libre!

Let us know if you have any low carb tips! :)

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi loved this post very pleased you had a positive day...how has it been since? As you may remember from earlier posts i am also suffering from painful feet. Currently having 1 or 2 painful flare ups a day...mostly evening, or from standing too long.

does alcohol effect your symptoms at all?

Would it be possible to message me the doseages of those supplements please? My B12 levels are normal.in blood test do you think it is worth still supplementing?

Which alpha lipoic acid are you taking is it the R-la type? Never got head round the types!

Thank you v much for whatever info.you can give.

Im now into my 4th day with no pain at all. The burning sensation is gone. I walked all day and partied all night last night and no pain.
I never went too crazy with alcohol last night. I had my libre in my pocket and my pen in the other. Everytime i had a beer I took 2 units. i also started my evening with half a packet of pork scratchings and then ended my night with the other half of the packet. The fat seems to help keep my BG stable and prevent the spike

I have managed to stay between 4 and 7.7 for 4 days now by changing my diet to low carb, high protein and full fats. Im starting my meals with 4 almonds which i have around the same time when i take my insulin (roughly 10 mins before eating). the fat in the almond seems to help with stability and helps avoid that spike.
I think keeping my BG stable without spikes has probably helped.

I take 100mg Alpha Lipoic Acid twice per day. 1 with breakfast and 1 with dinner.
Taking B complex and B12 - 2 x tablets twice per day
Taking 1 evening Primrose oil and 1 Omega 3.6.9 twice per day
Co enzyme Q10 30mg 1 x tablet twice per day
1 x Niacin once per day in the morning

Then im taking Vit E, D and C with my lunch meal every 2nd day or so.

I dont think one needs to take all the supplements as i am. The major supplements here are the Lipoic Acid, B12, Q10 and Omega 3&6.

Im taking the E, C and D because its supposed to be really effective with Lipoic Acid.

Please do let me know if the Lipoic Acid helps you Grinns. In Germany, most diabetics with Neuropathy are given Lipoic Acid which has very good results

Reactions: 4 people

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Hi Folks

I have been following some of Omnipods advice for a while now, although I am just taking ALA, methyl B12 and methyl B1.

While I cannot report the same success Omnipod has, I have certainly seen some improvement to my fingers - at diagnosis I could hardly fasten my shirt buttons, while now I can find the edges of an M3 nut for instance.

My feet were numb and cold most of the time and I had had a few falls when I failed to notice in time I had tripped over something, that hasn't happened since I started with the supplements, and I now have pain in my feet most of time. My view is that I probably had let it get much further than Omnipod did and it is taking longer in my case, but the pain is noticeably less now than it was a month ago.

Rather foolishly, I stopped ALA for a while, substituting glucosamine and omega3, which I thought would have a similar effect.

It didn't and I am now back on ALA.

I first came across this advice in another thread called "Help in dealing with Neuropathy, and I have posted my thoughts there.

Cheers

Tim