Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Happy New Year everyone!

I have noticed that if I eat just a little too much lunch or supper, i tent to fall asleep for an hour or some. I have to make a New Year's resolution to eat less and not to eat high carb snacks in between. Do you have that symptom too?

Dazza1984

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy New Year everyone!

I have noticed that if I eat just a little too much lunch or supper, i tent to fall asleep for an hour or some. I have to make a New Year's resolution to eat less and not to eat high carb snacks in between. Do you have that symptom too?

Feeling sleepy after a meal is normal. The body diverts more blood to the GI tract after you eat. It makes physiological sense as you can then take in more nutrients, plus supply your guts with more energy/oxygen due to them working a bit harder.

Prob is this means less blood to other organs like the brain. You then get sleepy.

It is otherwise known as "Rest & Digest"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only get sleepy after food if my blood sugar goes too high.

Do you have a blood glucose meter? So you can check how high it goes?

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Feeling sleepy after a meal is normal. The body diverts more blood to the GI tract after you eat. It makes physiological sense as you can then take in more nutrients, plus supply your guts with more energy/oxygen due to them working a bit harder.

Prob is this means less blood to other organs like the brain. You then get sleepy.

Wow good explanation Dazza:)

G

graj0

Happy New Year everyone!

I like dazza's explanation, can't say anything more, except that even slightly smaller amounts may not make a huge difference, depends I suppose.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

It is otherwise known as "Rest & Digest"

Thanks for your reply Dazza1984. I did not have this symptom before 2009-- the beginning of diabetes.
I think it is a matter of glucose rising but what is odd about it is that even when my meter count is normal
(5.0) before eating, after eating (and yes the amount and type of food is significant) makes me sleepy.
Also over the years, the post-meal sleepiness is more likely. Anyway, I will try to eat less as that will
help me lose weight too. I wondered if perhaps my gluclyzide was getting too low (Metformin OK). I was examined by my dr. in August and she was amazed at my average glucose
performance. Maybe I forget how little I should eat. Thanks again, and to all ( Noblehead, Brunneria,) who took the time to respond.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. Taking naps after lunch was what I did before I was diagnosed Type 2. I didn't like the energy slump and assumed it was part of the illness. So I now aim to keep the same level of energy all the time. If I think I might be spiked by something I try to go for a walk straight after eating (not always practicable). I remember being told never to swim sooner than half an hour after eating so what Dazza says makes sense. But I'm no swimmer! I just like the new feeling of being energised almost all the time.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, I used to fall asleep if I blinked too long, I would fall asleep in a waiting room and once fell asleep in the shower, (came bursting through the door lol) I believe my sleepiness was because I ate high levels of carbohydrates, once I cut out the carbs, I had masses of energy, you couldn't hold me down

Reactions: 6 people

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, I used to fall asleep if I blinked too long, I would fall asleep in a waiting room and once fell asleep in the shower, (came bursting through the door lol) I believe my sleepiness was because I ate high levels of carbohydrates, once I cut out the carbs, I had masses of energy, you couldn't hold me down

------------------------
Thank you DeejayR and Andy12345: good advice from both. I hurt my foot over the holidays wearing tight boots and peripatating the town so I am giving time to recover and will walk again Getting better every day;. But primarily it is the high carbs in diabetes. I think I may have forgotten the amount since 2009 or the gligluzine is no longer in proper carb/drug ratio. It has been 5 years at least and yes prior to that, i was getting sleepy thinking it was pollution, but it was pre-diabetes.