FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's certainly frustrating. What's also annoying is the difference between sensors. Most of mine have been pretty good with hypos, as long as they were at the right velocity, in other words, by the time you felt it the scan was showing it or almost showing it. When you have a fast hypo, it is useless for checking as the twenty minutes delay can show an okay blood sugar (sometimes with a flat arrow indicating slow change) and you really can't see it as mentioned by Emmotha and smidge. For hypos, these things are pretty close to useless and you need to rely on your hypos symptoms and blood testing only.

In my opinion, the real use for these things is to understand the way your bg levels change in response to stimuli. I've said that from early on using it and my opinion hasn't changed. If you want accurate point values it's not worth getting the device and paying the money. If you need to understand how you respond to all your inputs it's very helpful, even when the sensor is reading 2mmol away from where it should be.

The problem is that you come to rely on it as being accurate when it is delayed data and too late to react to. For this reason alone I think care needs to be taken in its use.
Hi tim.
I agree with your points. But for me, once I understand how I react to things, I don't see the benefit of wearing a sensor at all times, maybe every so often. Do you think you will continue full time?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
A further instalment shows some interesting developments between the two sensors. Aside from the already documented differences in the relative accuracy of the slowly failing sensor, what I hadn't expected was a decline in sensitivity of said item. If you compare to the two graphs in the image below, the old on the left, the new on the right, you can see a much smoother line on the left, in fact you might consider that the two sets of results came from completely different people, even without the difference in absolute numbers. I don't have any good reasons, but it only raises further questions for me!

DSC_0539_zps1unlxbxw.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi tim.
I agree with your points. But for me, once I understand how I react to things, I don't see the benefit of wearing a sensor at all times, maybe every so often. Do you think you will continue full time?
I don't know. I like the data that is produced and the patterns it generates, and honestly, I used to blood test so frequently due to exercise regimes that it does save my fingers a lot. In that respect I can see that I would continue to use it.

Whilst I've been using it to understand what happens with the gym, I've also got to use it with cycling, running and cricket, all of which I haven't yet done properly whilst under its monitoring. I think I am likely to continue with it for some time.

I'm keeping a log of the dual sensor/reader test on my blog here http://crick-tech-munch.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/freestyle-libre-really-public-beta.html to provide a single update point. I will update in the forum as well, but given the facebook group will also show some interest, I thought one palce was better than three times!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cool thanks tim. That Facebook group is losing the plot a bit I think. This thread is much more useful

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I just got off the call with Abbott support again. I offered to provide them a download of all the data and a comparison with the current good sensor.

The guy on the end of the phone seemed to be genuinely disturbed by the performance of the sensor/reader and pleased at the offer of more data. His biggest concern was that the blood test strip issue on the old meter may, in some way, be linked to the algorithms that the sensor uses to convert the signals to a useful data set. Once the sensor is expired, they'll be getting both of the components back (I've already had the replacements so I'm not bothered about that) to check out and test.

Somehow, I don't think they saw this as good news!

Reactions: 4 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just got off the call with Abbott support again. I offered to provide them a download of all the data and a comparison with the current good sensor.

The guy on the end of the phone seemed to be genuinely disturbed by the performance of the sensor/reader and pleased at the offer of more data. His biggest concern was that the blood test strip issue on the old meter may, in some way, be linked to the algorithms that the sensor uses to convert the signals to a useful data set. Once the sensor is expired, they'll be getting both of the components back (I've already had the replacements so I'm not bothered about that) to check out and test.

Somehow, I don't think they saw this as good news!
Makes you wonder how much of these accuracy problems are down to the readers. My Libre reader has been less reliable with fingersticks compared to my AC Mobile and Freestyle Neo this last coulpe of weeks. I also get an intermittent problem when inserting strips into the Libre but it's very occasional, not bad enough to ask for a replacement. They do seem to be very cheaply made.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Makes you wonder how much of these accuracy problems are down to the readers. My Libre reader has been less reliable with fingersticks compared to my AC Mobile and Freestyle Neo this last coulpe of weeks. I also get an intermittent problem when inserting strips into the Libre but it's very occasional, not bad enough to ask for a replacement. They do seem to be very cheaply made.
It's very possible. Of course the only way to check would be to hack a reader and be able to read the data on two sensors simultaneously or to enable a mobile phone to check it. This would also allow for reader scanner algorithm checking (as per some of the work going on here: http://type1tennis.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Freestyle Libre ).

I've found the blood glucose tests on the Libre to be completely in line with the Freestyle Optium Neo tests, and I've run a couple of checks against an Accu-Check Aviva and not seen a difference on the same drop of blood.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone else becoming irritated by the reminders that the sensor is coming to the end of it's life?

The daily one I can hack, also the hourly one on the last day, but the reminder every time you scan towards the end is a nuisance. I can't find a way to stop it & have e-mailed Abbott to query whether it can be modified.

Whinge complete!

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Anyone else becoming irritated by the reminders that the sensor is coming to the end of it's life?

The daily one I can hack, also the hourly one on the last day, but the reminder every time you scan towards the end is a nuisance. I can't find a way to stop it & have e-mailed Abbott to query whether it can be modified.

Whinge complete!
I found myself setting the alarm once it started counting down in hours so that I could do a last scan before it expired to capture the data for a download, and I stopped scanning.

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
(I am on sensor no 7) sensor 2 came off after 2 days.. I got home from the gym and it literally hung off my arm - think the sweat affected the sticky.
Sensor 4 came off after 3 days.. I was getting changed so think my top must of caught it

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I have the same problem, and have had it with all of my sensors.

I said I probably sweated more than the average person but Abbott were pretty explicit that this shouldn't happen and have happily replaced the sensors that did fall off in the past. I have taken to putting extra stuff on to keep the sensors from falling off, they become just as adhesive as previously once the skin dries, which is strange. I was hoping the Turbot Skin-Tac adhesive wipes would help but they don't