Not open for further replies.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I ate the left eye of a roast suckling pig a couple of days ago. It was surprisingly delicious!

Reactions: 4 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
I'd say both but if you get the GI & GL Counter by Winnie Chan. Small handy pocket size book. Got my for less than £3 on eBay. 2nd hand but in very good nick (condition) :oops:
Thanks for that... Nick? Are you ex-services then? :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
B: Groats with other stuff 5.4 before, 5.9 after
4-mile walk
Snack on beach: 2 Babybels, home-made olive bread, tomato, nuts, water
Snack in beach cafe: coffee w/milk; carrot & walnut cake :wideyed:
4-mile walk home: 5.2
D: baked mackerel, steamed green beans, celeriac, cabbage & sweetcorn :sorry: w/horseradish, cream cheese & butter sauce. 5.5 before, 7.0 after :dead: fell at the last fence, but a good run.
There it is again - olive bread - made with wheat? How if not? It must have been the sweetcorn... :) Good day though and 7 is good really...

Reactions: 2 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria, can you share which size loaf tin you use for this recipe and how long it takes to cook as a slab? thanks

Hi,

Well, um, because of my inability to do what I'm told, I kinda jig the recipe (quantities and proportions).

Probably best to tell you what I do, and you will understand.

My version of the slab nowadays is to wander over to the fridge while praying that Mr B hasn't done a locust impression on any of my ingredients. Then I grab whatever ingredients are available (mince, sausage meat cheese, onion bits, etc. once he had eaten the sausage meat :banghead: So I had to nip out and buy a pack of actual sausages, skin them, and use those instead)

This means that all quantities are very approximate!

Bung everything into bowl and smoosh together.

Then I get my 2 silicon cake tins out and put the mix in them to a depth of 1.5 inches. Approx.
Because of ingredient quantity issues sometimes this means I have to use a loaf tin too...

Last time I was puzzled by how small the mixture looked - until I realised I'd forgotten the cheese! So I just sprinkled it on top.

I bake on 180 degrees for 25 mins, or until the mix has started to shrink a little away from the sides of the tin.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to demonstrate how casual/incompetent/slapdash you can be with these little beauties, and still get a good result!

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yet by having the correct diet, which the NHS fail to give the correct advice on, you cholestrol is likely to to fall anyway, so not really much need for statins, Think the NHS have a lot to learn really.
Why don't they listen to the people who have the diseases and put two and two together? No time I suppose... like everyone these days it seems...

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
B - bacon, sausage, poached egg, mushrooms and Tomatoe
S - 9bar
D - 2 egg Omlette with ham and cheese
I have profiteroles for dessert :)

No lunch today as I had breakfast at lunchtime lol
Good day there!

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I found a nice v low carb yoghurt in Tescos today - 0.5 carbs per 100g. It's made from coconut milk, is non-dairy and is called CoYo. Only down sides are that it's fairly high in saturated fats and costs £1.69 per tub.
You need the fat if you're low-carbing, don't you? It sounds lush, but expensive...

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I know exactly what you mean, my thyroid stopped working about 14 years ago; it took my GP 2 years to give me a diagnosis as my bloods were weird and not always in the 'correct' range - despite the fact I was symptomatic and deteriorating physically. I still have problems, I seem to have a dip every two years, and my recent blood tests show my thyroid levels are 'supressed' so it looks like they are going offline again :rolleyes:
I despair... my hair is falling again and my nails, after being the loveliest at Christmas that they've been for 15 years, suddenly crumbled again and my skin has gone from soft to dry, sucking up mountains of moisturizer with little result... :banghead: I have sent for Janie Bowthorpe's book, Stop the Thyroid Madness... I will let you know what she says, if it is interesting.. I'm sure it will be... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Today I had brie and cherry tomatoes and a bullet-proof coffee, double espresso... then two Italian-style pork sausages...
Then a green smoothie... Romaine lettuce from my garden, rocket, full-fat organic bio-yoghurt, Super Greens, cinnamon, turmeric, honey, cider apple vinegar, 3 strawberries, handful of blueberries, milled flax...
For my late lunch I shall have scrambled egg and smoked salmon
Tonight, as it's my husband's birthday, we will be out to eat, so probably crab and salad followed by sea-bass and steamed veg... Might even be fillet steak and steamed veg.... and I'll have black chocolate when I get home...
I have chocolate almonds from Harrods (bought at the airport in Qatar) and they didn't affect my readings when i had two, so I may even have another two...
I ramble...

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi,

Well, um, because of my inability to do what I'm told, I kinda jig the recipe (quantities and proportions).

Probably best to tell you what I do, and you will understand.

My version of the slab nowadays is to wander over to the fridge while praying that Mr B hasn't done a locust impression on any of my ingredients. Then I grab whatever ingredients are available (mince, sausage meat cheese, onion bits, etc. once he had eaten the sausage meat :banghead: So I had to nip out and buy a pack of actual sausages, skin them, and use those instead)

This means that all quantities are very approximate!

Bung everything into bowl and smoosh together.

Then I get my 2 silicon cake tins out and put the mix in them to a depth of 1.5 inches. Approx.
Because of ingredient quantity issues sometimes this means I have to use a loaf tin too...

Last time I was puzzled by how small the mixture looked - until I realised I'd forgotten the cheese! So I just sprinkled it on top.

I bake on 180 degrees for 25 mins, or until the mix has started to shrink a little away from the sides of the tin.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to demonstrate how casual/incompetent/slapdash you can be with these little beauties, and still get a good result!
Brilliant... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Very jealous!!
I have papaya 3 to 4 times a week and absolutely love it, really wish we could grow it and not pay the prices we do!!
Does it not spike? I cannot eat it very much as it ups my numbers it seems... :(

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I keep trying spelt bread/toast made without added sugar but it's no good, it just comes back at me two hours later and possibly longer. Lucky you.
Me too... used to make my own every day thinking I was 'helping myself'... :(

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Eggs and nuts galore...

B: Edam omelette
L: veg soup, walnuts
D: cheddar soufflé omelette
Snack: eating peanuts to take the edge off the trauma of having to iron my living room curtains :mask:
:D

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Breakfast poached egg mushrooms gammon steak ( it looked like bacon in the freezer bag)
Lunch pate and ham salad with celery carrot and picked onions
Dinner roast pork, broccoli, fiat beans, roast swede, few carrots, half baby cauli made into cauli cheese and some cyder vinegar gravy. 1tsp unsweetened stewed Bramley apple.
Perfect... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
B - usual Greek yoghurt with blueberries and flaked almonds
L - large avocado pear filled with Philly and Blue Stilton, lettuce and baby toms
D - fillet steak fried with onions, courgettes, 2 large field mushrooms, peppercorns, glug of red wine and double cream, served on a bed of wilted spinach
Sounds lovely to me... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yesterday:
Feeling frazzled and slept in for work again :rolleyes:
B: chucked some raspberries in a half filled carton of double cream and had at work, coffee with cream in the car
L: mixed salad, ham, mixture of smoked ham and cheese
D: chicken with cheese, olives and peppers with mediterranean veg; 2 helpings of yoghurt, cream and raspberries with flax (cocoa and raspberries variety)

Today:
Had a lie in :bliss:
B: coffee with cream and a slice of ham, German smoked cheese and 4 baby toms with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, yum!
Out for the day, so I shall report back later!
Sounds a lot better... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have learned that I seem to be incapable of following recipe without tweaking it somehow - not always for the better, but in this case it works ok.
Inability to follow orders is hardly a strength and definitely a failing at times. (Mainly the latter!!!)

But sometimes we just have to accept our basic nature... ;)
Wise words... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.