Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Well that was a waste of time, went to surgery to have bloods taken, nurse was not qualified to take bloods from back of hand. For me it always has to be from there because the can never find a good vein in arm.

Not happy new appointment with Doctor on Monday, watch this space.

Reactions: 15 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 I think this morning.
Right now I'm 12!!!!!
Haven't been this high for a long time .... banging headache.
I fell for the spotted **** and custard at tea time ......
5.7 this morning. Glad I wasn't the only 'gambler' yesterday. I had crumpets for tea but couldn't test before or for 2.5 hrs after when it was 7.5. By 3 hours it was down to 6.4 so not too bad!

Reactions: 13 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think it's improved since diagnosis since you started low-carbing? Could it have been food that you were 'sensitive' to that was triggering your anxiety? I'd be interested to know if anyone else has problems too, and how they deal with them as my poor granddaughter suffers terribly with anxiety and it rules her life sometimes....

I think low carbing probably has helped in that I always had IBS when I ate a lot of carbs and stimulation of the vagus nerve can cause palpitations and chest pain. I also think just lower my BS revels has helped as I don't get the swings I was before. I still get panic attacks and suffer from anxiety - it has been a constant companion in one guise or other since I had my son 21 years ago. I started with OCD post natally and then had GAD for years before developing full blown panic disorder when a friend was diagnosed with breast cancer. I'd had a fall and developed fibromyalgia prior to that and the constant pain and worry about whether it was something more serious just ground me down. I have had lots of CBT which is flavour of the month here for psychological support but as a philosophy graduate I don't buy tin to a lot of the assumptions about thinking that it makes so I find I overthink it too. Some things from if have been useful - the really obvious stuff like diet, exercise, sleep, making time for yourself and relaxation. In my case, I know I have a constant problem with hyperventilating which causes changes in the body's chemistry and gives me all these weird side effects that make me panic. Metformin was making me much worse as it has an effect on lactic acid in the body and sensitivity to this is implicated in anxiety disorders. Now I try and do my breathing exercises daily, some simple relaxation and some gentle walking or cycling just to help calm me down. I have never found medication very useful, though if you can tolerate betablockers, which I can't, then do take the edge off the physical symptoms, allowing you chance to calm yourself further. Valium has helped me on the odd occasion I've not been able to stop the attack but it isn't a long term solution. Sorry I don't have any better answers as it is a hell I'd not wish on anyone.

Reactions: 8 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that was a waste of time, went to surgery to have bloods taken, nurse was not qualified to take bloods from back of hand. For me it always has to be from there because the can never find a good vein in arm.

Sounds like my surgery. They have a phlebotomist hut she appears to be only able to take blood if it leaps out into the vial itself. Told her last time it only comes out of my hand but no , five attempts later at arms she had to call in nursing assistant. This time I demanded an a ointment with nursing assistant and even she had to take it out of my thumb in end. They always have to have a go elsewhere despite my telling them - I had fertility treatment for 3 years so I know where blood will come from.
Good luck on Monday.

Reactions: 7 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 this morning. Unadjusted. Happy enough with that as I had half an apple and a large piece of dark coconut Lindt at bedtime. It's almost like a bounty if I close my eyes.

Reactions: 14 people

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
5.2 at 9pm just after work
I had 1 slice of hovis and 2 poached eggs + my insulin 14 units of novomix30
What's going on with my whopping 9 this morning !!!! :(

Reactions: 9 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

That's a bit of a bummer John.

No-one has ever had problems getting blood out of my arm, and boy did I have a lot of tests when having cancer treatment. But my last HbA1c in December the HCA tried 3 times and got nothing, and she made a mess of my arm. She sent me down to the treatment room for someone else to have a go. It was another HCA who had been a paramedic previously. She got 3 vials out straight away. I think technique must play a part.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.8 before dinner
4.7 after dinner, I thought this cant be possible, did again and it was 4.6
5.6 fasting
Looking forward to finish this tub of 44 and i am 1 down already 4 to go

Reactions: 11 people
S

Sable_Jan

5.3 this dull but mild morning. I say mild tho only 5 degrees but it somehow seems warmer on the,way up than it did on way down ;)

Reactions: 12 people
S

Sable_Jan

Blimey... idiot.... Could you be eating something with high histamine content that your body doesn't like? I had a panic attack in the night for the first time in my life - woke up in a huge funk, heart beating hard and sweating... frightened for no reason.... looked it up and one thing anxiety comes from is food with a high histamine content sometimes... I'd eaten too much hazel-nut flour cooked into bread and biscuits - plus a couple of other things on top... but it's amazing how badly affected we can be by histamine levels... The list is long of products containing high levels of histamine... I just over-dosed on a few things in one day I think... I'm careful not to eat too much of anything through being too lazy to cook now... :(
That's interesting to know. will mention to my eldest daughter. She does have asthma and suffers from hayfever so obvs IS histamine sensitive

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.7 for me this morning... I blame a late dinner, as I got stuck in traffic for 2 hrs on the way home and had to eat my emergency 9 bar!!!

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.8 which is disappointing. Probably should get back to testing pre and post dinner. Can't say dinner was anything other than usual though.

Reactions: 10 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally got mine back down to 4.7 this morning after several days of unexplained 5.5s. I can't see I've done anything different in my diet over the last week but I do seem to be developing a cold so it could be that

Reactions: 11 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, it's an unadjusted 4.3 this morning. It's amazing what some decent sleep and a body that fights infection hard can do in a day.

Things were looking better around my dinner readings last night, so I was hoping my good old body was making progress.

Reactions: 12 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.1 this morning. Unadjusted. Happy enough with that as I had half an apple and a large piece of dark coconut Lindt at bedtime. It's almost like a bounty if I close my eyes.
Haven't tried that one yet CE- have had lindt and 80 and 90% plain, then I discovered in lidl an 80% with raspberry in.....divine!! About 5gm carbs per (big) square!!

Reactions: 6 people
Status
Not open for further replies.