NHS prescription charges penalty notice

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, @robert72 :)
I was only looking for the relevant tick box while the prescription was in my possession, and couldn't remember if the part relating to pensioners was there :rolleyes:

Anyway, don't you know Type 1s don't age ?;) At least that's the assumption of many people who assume you are Type 2 if you are older than, errr, Juvenile ? :D

What about proof for the other exemptions though ? What's required ?

Signy

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just happen to have a back of a script (a blank from my 4 pages of repeats)
back_of_script.JPG

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I was in our Practice this week giving out newsletters to our patients.

There was a chap there that had cancer years ago. He originally got a 3 year card and they have been renewed automatically for him since. He pulled his current card out to show me and it was only for a year and runs out at the end of next month.

He thanked me for giving him the newsletter as a reminder...so whether they will send him another annual exemption card he nor I know... However, he is no longer receiving any drugs for cancer...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1423258928.659874.jpg

Copy of our newsletter to patients..

You could all speak to your PPG people at your Practices and ask them to do the same.

We leave newsletters at the Practice and regularly hand them out.

On the reverse is always details of how we are making improvements and how things are changing in our Practice and the NHS...

Reactions: 4 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just happen to have a back of a script (a blank from my 4 pages of repeats)
View attachment 11604

Ah, thanks ! :)
The declaration part at the end is interesting , " I confirm proper entitlement to exemption." Presumably this means the MEDEX certificate,( as per Tick Box E ) but it's ambiguous..It could be taken to mean that you confirm you are exempt by way of your medical condition .

Is " incorrectness" also going to carry the same penalty as " fraud" if it's a genuine mistaken belief that you are covered by your condition ?

Signy

stevieg60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Tick box C... Is 60 years of age if you trytr over
No card needed for that unless someone invents anti-aging ;)
Seems I could be ticking that box before my current certificate runs out :eek:
Look at the front of the predon't have the ption.... It states your age clearly there, you might be more easily catchable If you try this one..... besides we are not trying to advocate fraudulently avoiding the charges, merely asking for some understanding that we have a right to free prescriptions, we just dont have their red tape up to date.

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Look at the front of the predon't have the ption.... It states your age clearly there, you might be more easily catchable If you try this one..... besides we are not trying to advocate fraudulently avoiding the charges, merely asking for some understanding that we have a right to free prescriptions, we just dont have their red tape up to date.
It's a pity there isn't also a box for the Dr to state you're diabetic or whatever - would save so much hassle

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It's a pity there isn't also a box for the Dr to state you're diabetic or whatever - would save so much hassle

There are 5 illnesses that get free exemptions.. Diabetes is just one... So what good would a diabetic tick box do on the front?

You tick boxes... Chemist stamps or signs to say whether your card has been seen.

Any scripts for any illness that is being claimed for as exempt but the chemist has not seen your card.. Well that script now gets checked... End of.

Diabetes isn't the only disease involved here.

Instead of whinging it would be better to get to your Practices and highlight this to patients.

GP's should all have been sent leaflets that should be on display warning all patients about penalty charges...if they aren't displaying them ask the Practice Manager where the leaflets are.

Get on good terms with your chemists and make sure they are telling people..

Do something active about it. There's details of a MP to contact if you're upset about receiving a fine.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Aaargh. There is no such thing as a medical exemption to prescription charges. There are medical conditions that result in eligibility for an exemption certificate.

If only people could read, when they ticked the box saying they had a medical exemption certificate they'd understand it doesn't say or mean I have a medical exemption.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Aaargh. There is no such thing as a medical exemption to prescription charges. There are medical conditions that result in eligibility for an exemption certificate.

If only people could read, when they ticked the box saying they had a medical exemption certificate they'd understand it doesn't say or mean I have a medical exemption.
This I have explained many a time on the huge thread in type1 forum and been called a troll for my troubles:(
edited for spelling

Last edited by a moderator:

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This I have explained man a time on the huge thread in type1 forum and been called a troll for my troubles :(
I've also been moaned at for posting the truth and not always just what people want to hear. Don't worry about it. Some people will not accept responsibility sometimes and need to find a third party to blame. I think that's human nature sometimes. I wouldn't take it personally. This medical exemption certificate has caught some people out and I feel sorry for them. . That doesn't make it the pharmacist's, the doctor's or the MP's fault though unfortunately. Apply for the cert and renew before expiry. That simple. It's threads like these that may actually help others though in the future. Those who've been fined won't let it happen again and those that read about others getting fined will hopefully not make the same mistake.

Reactions: 8 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
QUOTE="dannyw, post: 759649, member: 134545"]I've also been moaned at for posting the truth and not always just what people want to hear. Don't worry about it. Some people will not accept responsibility sometimes and need to find a third party to blame. I think that's human nature sometimes. I wouldn't take it personally. This medical exemption certificate has caught some people out and I feel sorry for them. That doesn't make it the pharmacist's, the doctor's or the MP's fault though unfortunately. Apply for the cert and renew before expiry. That simple. It's threads like these that may actually help others though in the future. Those who've been fined won't let it happen again and those that read about others getting fined will hopefully not make the same mistake.[/QUOTE]
I agree! Some people have had T1 many years, and in childhood someone else was responsible for their prescriptions. Once you reach 16 years of age, it becomes your responsibility to read and sign the declaration on the back of the form. Surgeries and pharmacies always used to have the info on claiming free prescriptions on display and would tell people. I stopped noticing that about 20 years ago. They have been too busy meeting their targets and ticking their boxes to be able to fit into their schedules some basic customer care. That is why good folks like @donnellysdogs are taking on that role. Unfortunately there are not enough practices with an effective patient participation group.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When talking to people at my practice I always direct myself towards people 18-60 as its very important for the children coming towards 18 that may have illnesses. I also talk to people and ask for them to tell their friends and family.. If they have any long term conditions.

I am going to speak to the Practice Manager next week and ask if they can find out from their computer systems of any 17/18 year old diabetics to get letters sent out to them ref applying for exemption certificates.

Honestly, by joining PPG's you can do so much to raise awareness in your communities.

I just went along last year to a group that only had 2-5 regular moaners going.... I was elected as chairperson on my 1st meeting!! We now have 87 members, 30 joined up to attend and we regularly have 15 attending and its all about helping patients and not moaning.

Our PM tells us so much and now we are improving loads. Newsletters, good surveys, exhibitions, all new seating, grants from our Councillors to buy childrens toys, new comfy chairs for the elderly and frail, and last grant was for information leadlet stands.

I am trying to find a source of funding to buy some laptops so that our GP's can skype people from home and thus giving patients a better service. The GP's are willing. Its just that the laptops have to be NHS software ones and are **** expensive.

Sorry for wandering off subject, but if people are concerned then PPG's are a direct way to influence what is happening in your communities and at your Practices.

Some PPG's do nothing admitedly. By April NHS England want every practice to have a PPG. Yes, ours did have just sit on bums, do nothings a year ago. Now, its completely turned round. We have a Practice Manager that is superb and is fundamentally trying to improve things for patients.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I am on our PPG panel at my surgery .
We meet every 3 months to discuss all things of concern .
We have implemented successful changes within the surgery
to benefit all patients at the surgery 'more' .
Liason with our community chemists too .
The head pharmacist attends our group and raises issues up
also with our acting GP's and reception staff .

It is a great way to bring attention to things more directly
to the acting GP's and surgery staff .

Ask about a PPG Patient Participation Group at your
own surgery .
You should be entitled/allowed to start one up - if they haven't already got one .

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I am on our PPG panel at my surgery .
We meet every 3 months to discuss all things of concern .
We have implemented successful changes within the surgery
to benefit all patients at the surgery 'more' .
Liason with our community chemists too .
The head pharmacist attends our group and raises issues up
also with our acting GP's and reception staff .

It is a great way to bring attention to things more directly
to the acting GP's and surgery staff .

Ask about a PPG Patient Participation Group at your
own surgery .
You should be entitled/allowed to start one up - if they haven't already got one .

Try to get Councillor involvement too, some Practices and hospitals are missing out on heaps of money as they aren't aware of new buildings and homes. They have to apply for money that these developments should give under s106. If they don't get it at a specific point of time then that opportunity is lost.

We're lucky that we have a great PM... This is where patients aren't aware of what practices have to do behind the scenes....

Glad to hear of another fellow PPG person!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oops, sorry diverted again...