Red wine before food - experiment

Silver Hammer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's more like 270 calories a glass, or 810 a bottle.
Douglas, I saw that earlier in the thread and looked it up in Carbs And Cals and in my version it is definitely 170 calories for 250ml. Even sweet white wine is only 235 calories per 250ml and that has 15g of carbs compared to the 1g in red wine. So does this mean that we can have more than we thought before as it is lower in calories?

Maxwell

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Douglas, I saw that earlier in the thread and looked it up in Carbs And Cals and in my version it is definitely 170 calories for 250ml. Even sweet white wine is only 235 calories per 250ml and that has 15g of carbs compared to the 1g in red wine. So does this mean that we can have more than we thought before as it is lower in calories?

Maxwell

I would suggest cross checking that with other websites first, as most agree to differ with the 500 mark.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest cross checking that with other websites first, as most agree to differ with the 500 mark.

Just done that and as far as calories are concerned, the amounts for RED wine shown in Carbs & Cals appears much the same. 250ml = 1 carb, 170 calories. The amounts for carbs varies but none are excessive. White wine is more calorific and more carby.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just done that and as far as calories are concerned, the amounts for RED wine shown in Carbs & Cals appears much the same. 250ml = 1 carb, 170 calories. The amounts for carbs varies but none are excessive. White wine is more calorific and more carby.

I usually allow for the 'worst case' so I may be allowing more than carbs and cals, but drinkaware suggest 160 calories in a 175ml glass, not 250ml. (Equates to 228 calories per glass). or just under 700 a bottle.

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-.../types-of-alcohol/units-and-calories-in-wine/

Which agrees with the original post I made.

That sounds high, maybe a port has that many, but I usually allow about 600 to 800 for a bottle of red wine.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is high time alcohol bottles showed the nutrients as food stuffs must. They must vary according to the strength.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It is high time alcohol bottles showed the nutrients as food stuffs must. They must vary according to the strength.

They do, various things, alcohol strength, added sugars, partial fermentation leaving residual sugar, added alcohol all affect it, then I would like to see the added ingredients, such as the flavourings, and then the chemicals, like sulphites.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They do, various things, alcohol strength, added sugars, partial fermentation leaving residual sugar, added alcohol all affect it, then I would like to see the added ingredients, such as the flavourings, and then the chemicals, like sulphites.

I haven't seen any wine that shows carbs and calories, which is what I am meaning.

Reactions: 2 people

Silver Hammer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is possible to calculate the calories (from alcohol only, ignoring carbs) in a bottle of red wine as follows:

Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram, and 1 gram = 1 ml approximately.

1 bottle of 11% wine = 750 x 7 x 11% = 578 calories
1 bottle of 13% wine = 750 x 7 x 13% = 683 calories
1 bottle of 15% wine = 750 x 7 x 15% = 788 calories

So I believe now that Carbs and Cals underestimates the calories in wine generally, especially at higher alcohol contents, so actually 800 calories will normally be closer than 500 calories, shame!
However some further reading in Wickepedia indicates that energy derived from alcohol is not used efficiently, especially if consumed in larger quantities, so the actual calorific effect may be lower than the calculated calorific value.
That's enough of the maths for tonight I think.

Maxwell

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it is possible to calculate the calories (from alcohol only, ignoring carbs) in a bottle of red wine as follows:

Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram, and 1 gram = 1 ml approximately.

1 bottle of 11% wine = 750 x 7 x 11% = 578 calories
1 bottle of 13% wine = 750 x 7 x 13% = 683 calories
1 bottle of 15% wine = 750 x 7 x 15% = 788 calories

So I believe now that Carbs and Cals underestimates the calories in wine generally, especially at higher alcohol contents, so actually 800 calories will normally be closer than 500 calories, shame!
However some further reading in Wickepedia indicates that energy derived from alcohol is not used efficiently, especially if consumed in larger quantities, so the actual calorific effect may be lower than the calculated calorific value.
That's enough of the maths for tonight I think.

Maxwell
Yes but after you have drunk it you won't care about the bl#@£y calls or carbs. o_Oo_Oo_O

Reactions: 5 people

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Nice 2 vodka and sodas tonight. Pleasantly mellow. And off to bed. Night night all
I'm with you alliebee, Vodka nil carbs,diet cola nil carbs. But you could also try a shot straight out of the freezer without mixer, just over ice. Delish

Reactions: 4 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Need to attempt whisky and soda experiment again tonight. Just to check the consistency or the results..
Oh the things I do for science. :bookworm::pompous:

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Can someone tell me the best wine from this lot please? I'm about to finish a box of the Blossom Hill Red and don't want that one again, thanks :) http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/browse/default.aspx?N=4294787958+4294787977&Ne=4294793660

All depends what you like and don't like. Personally I would go for the First Cape Pinotage or the Hardy's Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon, but if you don't like Shiraz they may not be to your taste. How about trying a bottle first to see if you like them before investing in a box?