Early pregnancy

Saru82

Hi
In 7 weeks pregnant and haven't got an appointment until 9weeks... I'm so scared I'm doing damage to the baby with occasional highs... My hba1c last time was 7.2 and doctors say they are happy with how I am but in just worried! Trying to keep on top of sugars but it's so hard!
Type 1 for two years.
Please can anyone relate or advise ?

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hi Saru, congratulations! I asked the same question when I fell pregnant - diabetic consultant said they don't actually know what effect the occasional high has, the studies seem to focus on the hba1c BUT with all the changes in hormones etc they're nigh on impossible to avoid so don't stress - just to do your best to keep them steady and check regularly to ensure they're not running high for too long. I had a lot of hypos in first few weeks from overcorrecting / injecting too much but my hba1c actually went down once I cut out the hypos (which must have been causing rebound highs). Its a 24 hour job keeping on top of them but no choice!

hope you're otherwise keeping well x

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey congratulations!

The first few weeks after Id found out we're my worst, I was in tears because I'd have gone to High .. My sugars were all over the place!
But no diabetic is perfect, and I was told the same as Chloe the occasional high is fine, we can't have a Steady sugar level but your doing great! So keep it up, don't worry because that's bad for the baby!
100's of diabetics have baby's and there all healthy, I can guarantee you they had highs too
A 7.2 HBA1C is fab!
Xxx

Saru82

Thank you both so much!
It's comforting to hear that☺️
I'm excited but I also don't feel pregnant! Lol! Lots of spots on my back and face and going to the toilet a lot but nothing else!

Feeling more on too of my sugars today. Just cannot wait to have the first scan!

Xx

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had no morning sickness so didn't feel pregnant at all!!

The first scan is amazing hun! When is it?
I can't wait for my 20 week!

️Xxx

Saru82

It's booked for the 6th March so I will be 9 weeks! Feels like an age away!
My mum had no morning sickness with me or my sister. Hopefully I'm the same although I wish I felt a bit different at least!!

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My control was rubbish when I fell pregnant.
But they really help u get control I saw them every 1-2 weeks and lots of scans! I also had no morning sickness at all!! It's hard work so be prepared for it but worth it in the end :)

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tbh I never took care of myself enough to go to blood tests or see consultants! It was the first time I ever started to take care of myself but probably quite high! With their help though I got it down and maintained 6.1 for the whole 9 months! As I say hard work though I tested every hour of the day!

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations! Just do your best to control your sugars, a pregnancy is a long 9 months so you are going to have some highs and lows along the way. Good luck.

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to say a big congratulations on your pregnancy , is such a worrying journey but will be very worth it in the end .
There will be loads of lows and loads of highs but aslong as you have both ways under control your doing all you can . And remember it's the long term highs that may cause a problem , so just keep correcting when you see them highs , and eating little bits when you see them lows .
I don't think any of us truly get to grips with being diabetic and pregnant , with it all changing daily is very hard and takes a lot of work but it can be done .
I'm 28 weeks tommorow . And I still don't feel pregnant Untill I look down and see my bump , or they all of a sudden kick . I can't doubt it anymore their defiantly there lol , keep us updated once you have had your scan good luck wishes xxx

Jen234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 10 weeks pregnant, and having 2-3 hypos a day, despite having reduced my Lantus from 26 to 15. Has anyone else had the smae and does it get better?

emmarw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm like you Saru82, currently 8+4, and have the odd high and daily lows, got my first obs appointment next Tuesday, at 9 weeks, and I can't wait- just so want to see a heartbeat. I haven't had any morning sickness, maybe we are just lucky people- diabetes, but no morning sickness :)

I believe once the placenta starts producing more hormones Jen234 your insulin needs can drop quite a lot, so it might be worth dropping the lantus further but I would ask the nurse if you can get hold of one.

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm like you Saru82, currently 8+4, and have the odd high and daily lows, got my first obs appointment next Tuesday, at 9 weeks, and I can't wait- just so want to see a heartbeat. I haven't had any morning sickness, maybe we are just lucky people- diabetes, but no morning sickness :)

I believe once the placenta starts producing more hormones Jen234 your insulin needs can drop quite a lot, so it might be worth dropping the lantus further but I would ask the nurse if you can get hold of one.

I'm not sure about that my insulin needs only ever went up. I kept asking my doctor if I should be taking so much insulin as was abit worried. And her reply was that if I need that much then I have to take that much lol.

Also I was sick or nauseous once during pregnancy! I was lucky as I can imagine morning sickness would be a nightmare while diabetic!!