Are you pleased with your Pump?

cheche

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there. I am a diabetic on insulin at the moment. I have had diabetes for 25 years. I have been to the hospital and say I fill the criteria for the insulin pump. I was just wondering what people thought of the pump and is it worth me going on it and if so what pump would you suggest. Thank you xx

C

catherinecherub

Hi @cheche and welcome to the forum.

The majority of pump users on the forum are pleased with their pumps.

I will bump up your post for some replies from them.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @cheche. I've been pumping for 4 years and there's no way I'd go back. Have used the Medtronic Veo for that time, but am moving to the Roche Insight on Monday.

Benefits of pumping: variable basal rates, it calculates how much insulin you need. Both these mean fewer hypos. You can put a temporary basal rate on - low for exercise, high for sick days.

Few cons: unhooking for sex, taking it off for going in the water, sometimes have the 'where do I keep it?' quandary if you're not wearing much.

Have found people curious and interested. Even many medical staff haven't seen one.

Do you have a choice of pumps? Where do you live?

Sam

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi there. I am a diabetic on insulin at the moment. I have had diabetes for 25 years. I have been to the hospital and say I fill the criteria for the insulin pump. I was just wondering what people thought of the pump and is it worth me going on it and if so what pump would you suggest. Thank you xx
Hi if you go on a pump then what ever pump you have you will like, we all have different makes of pumps, they all have their pros and cons. Basically they all do the same thing IE pump insulin.

Is it worth you having a pump? Only you can answer that question :)

cheche

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @cheche. I've been pumping for 4 years and there's no way I'd go back. Have used the Medtronic Veo for that time, but am moving to the Roche Insight on Monday.

Benefits of pumping: variable basal rates, it calculates how much insulin you need. Both these mean fewer hypos. You can put a temporary basal rate on - low for exercise, high for sick days.

Few cons: unhooking for sex, taking it off for going in the water, sometimes have the 'where do I keep it?' quandary if you're not wearing much.

Have found people curious and interested. Even many medical staff haven't seen one.

Sam

Sam
Hi if you go on a pump then what ever pump you have you will like, we all have different makes of pumps, they all have their pros and cons. Basically they all do the same thing IE pump insulin.

Is it worth you having a pump? Only you can answer that question :)

Sam
Hi Sam thanks for your reply. I live in Birmingham. The hospital said I do have a choice and there is a new pump but they haven't got the dummy one yet so I am presuming it is the Roche insight. I have been comparing different pumps and they all seem pretty much the same but I like the look of the insight as it seems to meet my needs. I don't know anyone on the pump so appreciate you posting:) thank you.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The new pump is probably the Medtronic.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The new one could be either... The Insight is on limited release too.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only been on my pump since November but wouldn't go back to injections now.

I have the Medtronic Veo.

Poppy2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I am new to pumping, this is only my 5th week! I have the Medtronic Veo, and yes it is incredibly hard work at this early stage. If you have the choice I would definitely recommend you try it. Even at this early stage I don't want to go back to MDI, I love my pump because of the flexibility I know it will offer me. Good luck

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
I had a look at the insight, but didn't personally like the tie up with the remote. Not for me anyway
The new Medtronic looks interesting

Reactions: 2 people

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How comfortable are pumps while sleeping? How do you manage with tubing etc? Thanks

cheche

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The new one could be either... The Insight is on limited release too.
Thanks. I will give it a try and see what pumps are on offer. It's worth giving it a go. Thank you for your help :) Xx
How comfortable are pumps while sleeping? How do you manage with tubing etc? Thanks
Hi they have put me on a dummy pump and I was worried about sleeping but found I had no problems. Ask if you can have a dummy pump to give you more insight as wearing mine has helped me to see if I could cope with one and I can xx

cheche

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a look at the insight, but didn't personally like the tie up with the remote. Not for me anyway
The new Medtronic looks interesting
thanks will have a look. This is the hardest thing I am finding is choosing which pump will most suit my needs xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Cheche, I'm a newbie to pumping insulin and have to say it's one of the best decisions I've made, I'm using the Omnipod Pump.

cheche

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Cheche, I'm a newbie to pumping insulin and have to say it's one of the best decisions I've made, I'm using the Omnipod Pump.
Hi hope your getting on well with it. I am going to give it a try but I have heard all good things so am starting to look forward to it and to gain control again. How are you finding the monopod? I was looking at that one too xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi hope your getting on well with it. I am going to give it a try but I have heard all good things so am starting to look forward to it and to gain control again. How are you finding the monopod? I was looking at that one too xx

I really like it but being new to insulin pumps I've nothing to compare it to having not used a pump before. The reason why I choose the Omnipod was because it was a tubeless pump, stupid as it may seem but I've always had concerns about the tubing on insulin pumps and that is why I went for a patch pump.