Type 1: Prescription fine

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
I got a letter telling me to pay a fine of £96, I rang them they just told me to pay, like others didn't even think about it, thought i had it automatically as I was diagnosed in the 1960's, anyhow, I then wrote to them, they droped the fine but wanted £16 for the cost of the prescription, so paid that and now have a card. comes with privatisation of NHS, be warned WE need to stop Cameron cause he plans to flog the whole of the nhs

Reactions: 4 people

hazeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I have just received a letter saying i have to pay a £96 fine for not having a valid medical exemption certificate. I was diagnosed Type 1 in 1998 and have never paid for prescriptions since. Nobody has ever told me about this. Has anyone else had the same thing and if so what was the outcome?
When I was diagnosed my doctor signed a form which he gave to me, which was sent off and a credit card like medical exemption certificate was issued and is renewable every 5 years, it's standard practice, I am surprised you got away with it for so long and not had a bigger fine, at the end of the day you have committed fraud by saying you have a valid exemption certificate when you haven't, speak to your doctor and get this sorted as soon as possible, if not, you will have to pay until you get one !!!, If these were not issued then anybody can claim free medicines, but they do random checks which is when people are caught out and get fines. pleading ignorance and saying you didn't know is not really a good enough excuse. Sorry if this sounds harsh but it's the truth.

Reactions: 2 people

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was diagnosed my doctor signed a form which he gave to me, which was sent off and a credit card like medical exemption certificate was issued and is renewable every 5 years, it's standard practice, I am surprised you got away with it for so long and not had a bigger fine, at the end of the day you have committed fraud by saying you have a valid exemption certificate when you haven't, speak to your doctor and get this sorted as soon as possible, if not, you will have to pay until you get one !!!, If these were not issued then anybody can claim free medicines, but they do random checks which is when people are caught out and get fines. pleading ignorance and saying you didn't know is not really a good enough excuse. Sorry if this sounds harsh but it's the truth.

Thank you for your first post. It is clear that you haven't read the whole thread before posting as the fraud issue has been covered in earlier posts and is not relevant in this situation as all diabetics are entitled to free medications.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thank you for your first post. It is clear that you haven't read the whole thread before posting as the fraud issue has been covered in earlier posts and is not relevant in this situation as all diabetics are entitled to free medications.
Only if they have the exemption certificate

hazeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, firstly I have read much of the thread, and I think the fraud issue is relevant, yes all diabetics are entitled to free medications, but this has be done correctly and the relevant certificate applied for, if there is uncertainty as to that you are entitled to then you ask and not just assume this will be done automatically, it is the individuals responsibility !!

molivers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, firstly I have read much of the thread, and I think the fraud issue is relevant, yes all diabetics are entitled to free medications, but this has be done correctly and the relevant certificate applied for, if there is uncertainty as to that you are entitled to then you ask and not just assume this will be done automatically, it is the individuals responsibility !!
You obviously haven't read all the thread as I do not have too pay any fine as I have NOT committed fraud!!!!

coolcity

Just a quick reminder to everybody that there is no law saying you have to pay for your prescription when it is issued to you at the pharmacy. So if you get a penalty charge notice, ask them on what basis they are charging you (or fining you, if you prefer, though it's not a fine). There is nothing to stop you saying that you simply haven't paid for it yet, and there is no legislation in place to charge you for late payments - it's not quite the same as overstaying your time in a car park.

Don't pay a penny if you are entitled, but if you have't obtained the correct documentation, such as the certificate, pay for the one prescription. Once it's paid they have no reason to charge you for anything.

I repeat, there is NOTHING to say you must have paid for your prescription at the time you received the medication so basically they're screwed if they try to take you to court later for the unpaid charge, because they have nothing to charge you for.

Incidentally, as for signing the form, I never have - most pharmacies just ask me if I pay for my prescriptions and then sign it themselves (I buy the annual prepayment card as I have to pay for mine). I don't know what they have signed, so where's the proof I didn't actually pay for it? Again, you don't have to prove you paid, there is no legislation that says you do!

Reactions: 8 people

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is very sad to see everyone blaming everyone else the GP should do this, the pharmacy should do that. No it is about people taking responsibility for their own health!
i think if people had been sent a reminder and done nothing about it. then they nave a a case. for creating lots of unnecessary paper work for people to get there entitlement.. but one reminder is not enough we should have been given a warning first.
The thing is there was no reminders sent to people diagnosed before 2002.
and if your like me and get there stuff delivered you never see the prescription you just phone it in.
i haven't see one for over 6 years when i stopped driving

Reactions: 7 people

Maelstrom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We were very surprised a few months ago when my hubby received a penalty charge letter as he had held a valid MedEx since 1975 he had kept them updated whenever we changed address and had renewed it with every reminder , the letter had a misprint of his name though when he emailed them with all his details both penalty and prescription charge were dropped and he got an apology too.

It did prove to me the system is totally automated, I remember the offending prescription it was a hospital prescription and it had a slight crease in it which when straightened out had created a space in our surname, if human eyes had seen it I don't think it would have been sent.

Reactions: 6 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The arguments about why do diabetics not receive a never ending certificate lie in the conditions that are covered. Due to it being possible to reverse conditions like type two to a point where no medication is required, having an infinite lifetime on a mec is not sensible. As mecs cover more than just diabetes, there is a requirement to renew them because not all conditions are permanent. From an administrative perspective, the NHS decided a long time ago to run it this way with a one type fits all and not some life exemptions and some short term.

Maelstrom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The arguments about why do diabetics not receive a never ending certificate lie in the conditions that are covered. Due to it being possible to reverse conditions like type two to a point where no medication is required, having an infinite lifetime on a mec is not sensible. As mecs cover more than just diabetes, there is a requirement to renew them because not all conditions are permanent. From an administrative perspective, the NHS decided a long time ago to run it this way with a one type fits all and not some life exemptions and some short term.

Though drastic and not common so can Type 1 my Hubby had a Kidney and Pancreas transplant in 2012, each clinic visit we see Kidney transplant patients that have to pay for there prescriptions, and know that there are people with other serious conditions that have to pay too.

I think having to renew every 5 years is a small price to pay for getting all your meds free

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people
C

catherinecherub

Please, please please no personal comments.
This is something that should unite diabetics rather than something that is causing ill feeling between some posters.. It would be a shame to have to lock this thread.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not all diabetics are entitled to free medications. If you are type 2 and manage to keep your BG's down by diet only you are not entitled to free medication. I did this for a couple of years and then asked for metformin as I was struggling and I was then entitled to have all my medication free - even non -diabetic medication. So the system penalised me for trying.

Johngreer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that anyone who is facing the fines should go to their doctor. They will have a copy of medical records including when you were prescribed your meds and why.
Ask your NICE doctor to print a copy for you. This will show the first time you were diagnosed with diabetes and it's from that point you would be entitled to your meds for free.
I only found out about my exemption certificate because one of my colleagues was diabetic and showed me the certificate.
That will be your proof if matters go further.
I got my copy when i asked my doctor about taking my meds abroad on holiday to Australia.

softgirl123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Inland Revenue have dates everywhere because it's the same date for everyone. There are no huge posters everywhere reminding you to renew your passport are there ? I agree public awareness could have been better but the vast majority managed to get one. Again, I don't agree with penalty notices and I hope they all get overturned. Good luck all.
u cant use a passport if its not in date.so you shouldnt be able to take that really .like a shop...most people get reminders.i moved house.pharmacy did not check for years.didnt need the card.when i changed chemist .she must of read what i stated,then put x.starting a majori i nvestigaion..as x not seen evidence of medical excemption card.as the medication needs one.she could of asked have u had one with in 5 years i would of said no.then i could of left the medication.not a good idea.or paid til i applyed for new card.then no penalty.i expect some one to advice if theres something i dont know.surely like a shop.as it does say on internet the pharmists responseability.because doctors and pharmacys knew about it befor us about penaltrys being given.

softgirl123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
The NHS is promoting incompetence as an art form. If there is a regulation set by some petty bureaucrat which obviously very few people including me know nothing about then there should be a counter fine for the idiots at the NHS who introduce something and hide the rule. The object always with this incompetent organisation is to get money from anyone in an underhand way. They set up these fines to us. We should be able to counter claim for gross incompetence in not telling us or the GP's or the Pharmacies what the system is. Let them pay each diabetic user £100 for this incompetence from their own pockets. After all it is industrial misconduct not to carry out your work fairly and reasonably!
it is really out of order.not giving advice.i have wrote to head office two organisation of pharmacy.in my opinion the docs and pharmacys r just to blame.for not passing information of penaltrys.and advice.

softgirl123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
it is really out of order.not giving advice.i have wrote to head office two organisation of pharmacy.in my opinion the docs and pharmacys r just to blame.for not passing information of penaltrys.and advice.
we should claime of nsh bsa .for causing stress as a big shock through the post.and i believe the health minister/mp who brought this penalty thing in.stated he wants people to pay their fair share.u should be able to see this on my twitter tweets.attached .i am softgirl123.what an idiotic state ment for people who r entitled to free prescriptions.your case as a diabetic.my case thyroid.as there r diferant conditions.,stated this when i registered on site as it states u dont have to be a diabetic.as long as u r trying to help in some way.

softgirl123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that anyone who is facing the fines should go to their doctor. They will have a copy of medical records including when you were prescribed your meds and why.
Ask your NICE doctor to print a copy for you. This will show the first time you were diagnosed with diabetes and it's from that point you would be entitled to your meds for free.
I only found out about my exemption certificate because one of my colleagues was diabetic and showed me the certificate.
That will be your proof if matters go further.
I got my copy when i asked my doctor about taking my meds abroad on holiday to Australia.
at my docs in manchester.the reception asked the doctor for letter .she informed me .they do not get involved in this type of thing.

Edited to remove surgery details. CC

Last edited by a moderator:

Johngreer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
at my docs in manchester.the reception asked the doctor for letter .she informed me .they do not get involved in this type of thing.

Edited to remove surgery details. CC

You are legally entitled to a copy of your own medical records.
If the doctor refuses point blank to let you see just that record concerning your diabetes then they could be in trouble for breaking the law.
They are, however, entitled to ask for a fee although not sure how much.
I was polite to mine and brought the request up in conversation and they obliged at NO cost.