Time off work to attend Daphne Course

Lulutwin1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have Lada and have recently began the insulin route after 2.5 years honeymoon period. I need/want to undertake the Daphne Course and would appreciate some help on making a case for time off work. It may be helpful if I could quote some legislation in this respect.

Thanking you in anticipation for any help you can give

Lulu

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if this will help but Diabetes is covered under the 2010 Disability Act as an invisible disability. I know that in my organisation I would be given time off work as medical but not sure about elsewhere!

Reactions: 2 people

themaevequeen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Lada and have recently began the insulin route after 2.5 years honeymoon period. I need/want to undertake the Daphne Course and would appreciate some help on making a case for time off work. It may be helpful if I could quote some legislation in this respect.

Lulu

themaevequeen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The Disability Act means that your employer has to make "reasonable adjustments" so that you can undertake your work. That would include making sure you were available to attend the course. Whether that has to be paid leave or adjusting your hours, taking holidays etc is open to negotiation.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

Lulu
Can you not take your time off as holiday?

Twinks

Im having the same issue atm iv been advised on several occasions to go on the DAPHNE course but i doubt i would b able to have a week off so looked at the other option of doing one day a week but this still wont help as its not definite i will have the same day off every week

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your hospital team will have a letter that you can give to your employer, to explain why you need to do DAFNE. I don't know what it says - I did get offered one but I had already decided to take holidays.

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I took annual leave as not sure I would be able to go otherwise. Really enjoyed the course and learnt lots.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your hospital team will have a letter that you can give to your employer, to explain why you need to do DAFNE. I don't know what it says - I did get offered one but I had already decided to take holidays.

It's just a polite letter asking that you be given the time off to do the course as its in your best interests, I'm sure it also says that there no obligation on the employer to pay for this time off, can't remember the exact wording as its a few years since I did the course.