Coping with Type 1 Diabetes

JThomo13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I have had Type 1 Diabetes now for nearly 3 years and still struggle to cope with it. I live in Jersey so there aren't many Type 1 Diabetics, let alone people my on age with it (I'm 17). So I don't really feel like I have any one I can talk to about things. If theres anyone that has any advice about coping with Type 1 Diabetes I'd really like to hear it especially from any one my own age.

Reactions: 4 people

chl0ejasmine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
@JThomo13 Hey! I'm also 17 and have had T1 for nearly 3 years too! I feel the exact same - I don't really know anyone else with type 1 diabetes and it's been a complete rollercoaster so far. I'd be really happy to get in contact with you as I need the support too :) xx

Reactions: 8 people

amar1921

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We all know that it's definitely not easy, but you have to deal with it. If you have good control, you can live normally and avoid complications. Are you on pump or pens ? Do you count your carbs and what are your HbA1c results ? I was diagnosed in May last year (was 17 at that time) and I know really good how hard it is to fight with diabetes every day, but whatever you do it will not disappear so the only solution is to try to control it and to give your best.

Reactions: 13 people

ema1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey! I just turned 18, had type 1 diabetes for the past 12 years! Message me if you want to chat

babyboscher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone

I have had Type 1 Diabetes now for nearly 3 years and still struggle to cope with it. I live in Jersey so there aren't many Type 1 Diabetics, let alone people my on age with it (I'm 17). So I don't really feel like I have any one I can talk to about things. If theres anyone that has any advice about coping with Type 1 Diabetes I'd really like to hear it especially from any one my own age.

Hi there

I am a type 1 diabetic and have been for nearly 10 years. I am struggling to cope and have only shared about this within the past few weeks. I'm 18 and I live in Guernsey. Having type 1 diabetes whilst going through teenage years has been very difficult but as we mature our thoughts and feelings differ. I have been thinking about how to cope and you have to either think positively on life and how manage or change your mindset to think differently on life and turn your diabetes into a positive.

If you need anyone to talk to I'm only a message away :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
You seem to have hit upon some good diabetes friends here, good luck and all the best:)

RRB

Reactions: 11 people

trevbee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

Hi I've been diabetic for around 20 years its not easy to cope with some people think just take an injection and its done but its not like that I didn't no anything about being a diabetic ay first total shock my whole life changed took a long time to come to terms with but there is more people in the same boat than you think the first real person I met with diabetes type1 same insulin is now my wife just when you think you carnt cope with diabetes and no its hard bit yo will find a way to cope its a very big change to what your used to but it will get easier by the looks of other posts you've already found new people with the same problems help each other realy hope it gets better for you

JThomo13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for replying. Its great to here that Im not alone in how I'm feeling and is defiantly reassuring.

Reactions: 7 people

cWeb64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We all know that it's definitely not easy, but you have to deal with it. If you have good control, you can live normally and avoid complications. Are you on pump or pens ? Do you count your carbs and what are your HbA1c results ? I was diagnosed in May last year (was 17 at that time) and I know really good how hard it is to fight with diabetes every day, but whatever you do it will not disappear so the only solution is to try to control it and to give your best.

Hey guys, I am not your age but have had Type 1 diabetes for over 30 years. When I was 24 years old I was diagnosed, I too struggled in the beginning. My A1c was 12% for many years and when I finally found a good Dr who helped me see that if I could control it I would start to feel better. I'm what they call"Brittle" diabetic which means that I am very sensitive to the medication and certain foods. Following the nutrition information label and watch the total carbohydrate, protein and fat you young guys can master the control just like a video game. Good luck to you. cWeb64

koicarp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there

I am a type 1 diabetic and have been for nearly 10 years. I am struggling to cope and have only shared about this within the past few weeks. I'm 18 and I live in Guernsey. Having type 1 diabetes whilst going through teenage years has been very difficult but as we mature our thoughts and feelings differ. I have been thinking about how to cope and you have to either think positively on life and how manage or change your mindset to think differently on life and turn your diabetes into a positive.

If you need anyone to talk to I'm only a message away :)

Hey i'm from little old Guernsey too! I have only recently been diagnosed with Type 1 only 4 weeks ago, came as a bit of a shock to me and the doctors too it seemed :/

How have you found the doctors/nurses?

Reactions: 2 people

babyboscher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey i'm from little old Guernsey too! I have only recently been diagnosed with Type 1 only 4 weeks ago, came as a bit of a shock to me and the doctors too it seemed :/

How have you found the doctors/nurses?

The doctors and nurses have tried to be as helpful as possible but I find that there is some things that they can't help me with. At first they will help you understand and support you as you get used to the new changes and the new routine that you'll have to do.