Effect of high temparature on BS

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Can anybody tell me whether there exist any effect of high temperature (above 40C) on BS level? Such hot atmosphere require you to drink a lot of fluid .

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I am ill, it always seems to increase my B/S a bit - and a Doctor of my acquaintance who also happens to be diabetic, tells me that it's a common phenomenon.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Can anybody tell me whether there exist any effect of high temperature (above 40C) on BS level? Such hot atmosphere require you to drink a lot of fluid .
It's not clear if you're referring to your own temp or air temp.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Becoming dehydrated as a result of living in a hot climate does result in an increase in their blood glucose level principally due to the reduce quantity of the blood that now flows throughout their body.
As you rightly say, the answer is to consume adequate fluids, ideally pure water to compensate for the loss.
Similarly when a diabetic individual is ill, their body in fighting their illness can also give rise to an increase in their body temperature and hence cause a milder form of de-hydration, and as with living in a hot tropical climate, it also is important when the individual is ill to consume adequate fluids.

Reactions: 2 people

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Thanks Lazybones, you made a very good point to note. I had been experiencing abnormal BS now a days since I moved to a very hot climate.