Hi all, newbie. Prescription issues.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After having a conversation with someone at my doctor's surgery today I felt compelled to join a forum to see if other diabetics are having the same difficulties as myself with regards their prescriptions.

Anyway, I'm Gramps, (I'm not really a Grandpa, far too young for that) looking forward to conversing with you all.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Grandpa Munster & welcome to the forum, you have certainly come to the right place for lots of help and information plus a lot of support.

I will tag @daisy1 , she will be along with a long list of very helpful information we give to all new members.

Please have look around the forum and don't be afraid to ask what ever questions you need to.

I am not a type 1 so cannot really help but I'm sure some type1s will be along soon.

Neil

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Grandpa Munster

Hello Gramps and welcome to the forum :)

Here is a long thread about the problems members have been having with prescriptions which I hope will be helpful to you:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/prescription-fine.68038/

At the end of this very long thread it looks like the problem is being sorted out now.

And here is the information which daddys1 mentioned which we give to new members and I hope you will find this useful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 140,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum Gramps.

What problems are you having with your prescription?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum Grandpa Munster, what a great name and avatar :)

Best wishes RRB

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome gramps! Do you mean prescriptions for strips?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, thanks for the welcome.

My problem is not exemption certificate related, but I think I had better get one, if they expire after 5 years, my first and only card expired in 1993.

My issues are my doctor not giving me enough insulin. The surgery has someone who has been evaluating patients medication, she says I only need X amount of insulin to last me 28 days. They divide the units within the flex pen by dosages which gives them the amount of pens I require.

Their calculations do not take into account air shots when I change needles or if I was to lose a pen at work. There are times when I work away from home, I have to stay in hotels, if I'm coming to the end of my 28 days, I may not have enough insulin.

I have recently started a new job, I'm keen to keep my head down and not cause any fuss, I'm still in my probationary period, so when I have received letters wanting me to make an appointment with the surgery nurse I have declined. Where I work one of the chaps has been off work sick for nine months with diabetes related issues. So you can see why I don't want to be taking time off work.

It has now got to a point where my G.P. has cut my insulin down forcing me to see the nurse before another prescription is issued. So. having no choice, I called the surgery to make an appointment, I was then told the nurse was off work on long term sick leave and I should try calling in a couple of weeks.

Last week my chemist called me to see what prescription items I wanted ordering, fast forward to yesterday and my chemist called me again to say they have been to the surgery twice and there is no prescription for me.

I called the surgery and spoke to the lady who is cutting my insulin down, I explained I need more insulin, I also asked if I had 10 units left in a pen, would I have to have 4 injections to make one Levemir dosage. I also explained the more injections a person has, areas start to collapse.

She stated she is not medically trained, but she would not want my veins to collapse (I think it was me who collapsed in fits of laughter at this point) and then proceeded to give me a lecture on how much my insulin costs. It seems my life is not worth the cost of a few boxes of insulin.

My doctor has made a comment on how much insulin I use, but I'm at least twice the size of most.

I seem to be having a constant battle, I'm never going to be their 11/12 stone model in their text books. Is anyone else having similar issues?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Gramps, I'm guessing you are a type 2 by the surgery's behavior? If you are type 1, change surgery. Regardless, you should be on the phone to the practice manager demanding to know why they are trying to kill you and threatening them with a medical negligence case. You should also be talking to your diabetes consultant at the hospital and looking to change your Surgery.

That is unacceptable behaviour in anyone's eyes.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see my thread has been moved, I would just like to say I'm a newbie to the forum, but not diabetes. I have been diabetic for 27 years. My Sister was diagnosed in 1975, has had a kidney and pancreas transplant, kidney has failed and now on dialysis and my Brother was diagnosed type 2 about 16 months ago.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gramps, I'm guessing you are a type 2 by the surgery's behavior? If you are type 1, change surgery. Regardless, you should be on the phone to the practice manager demanding to know why they are trying to kill you and threatening them with a medical negligence case. You should also be talking to your diabetes consultant at the hospital and looking to change your Surgery.

That is unacceptable behaviour in anyone's eyes.

I'm type 1. Been injecting since the age of 18, now 45.

C

catherinecherub

@Grandpa Munster,
I moved your thread so that Type1s would give you answers as you are a Type1. People are sometimes selective as to what they view. This is the best board for your queries. Hope you don't mind.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm type 1. Been injecting since the age of 18, now 45.
In which case, contact your hospital consultant, urgently, and speak to the practice manager.

The hospital consultant will email/write to the surgery telling them what they need to do.

As for the practice manager, be extremely polite and very, very strong in your conversation. Explain to them that you will hold them and the practice responsible for the onset of any DKA and complications as a result of their actions and that if this happens they should expect a letter from a lawyer. Outline that the approach they are taking is medically negligent and that when you raise it with the appropriate authorities it is likely to result in the GP and or surgery losing their license. You might also include loss of livelihood as a result of their actions. Write to your MP and tell them you have done this. Make sure you get the medication you need.

Then change surgery. If they are negligent in this respect, how can you have any confidence in their ability with anything else?

Reactions: 10 people